PDA

View Full Version : Enduro information

Willisbe
03-26-2006, 01:39 PM
I am interested in racing in an enduro this year but I am having a difficult time finding information on what all this would involve (# of drivers needed, car prep,...)
Basically I don't know what to expect/consider. Any thoughts?

Jeremy Cesene
#13 ITB 318i
--------------------

Hillbilly Motorsports
Just 'Cuz were willing to try it,
doesn't mean we know what were doing!

RSTPerformance
03-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Jeremy-

Where are you???

Willisbe
03-27-2006, 08:32 AM
I am in Hubbard, Oh 40 min. away from Nelson Ledges. The 3hr enduro at Nelson in May is the race I have been thinking about. (possibly one in the fall at Watkins Glen) My goal is to race in the 12 hr at Nelson in 2007.

Jeremy Cesene
#13 ITB 318i
--------------------

Hillbilly Motorsports
Just 'Cuz were willing to try it,
doesn't mean we know what were doing!

RSTPerformance
03-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Jeremy-

GO to the Fall Watkins Glen "Last Chance Enduro." They put on an excelent event, from registration, to the banquet style dinner at the infield restaurant after the finish... not to mention the track is a first class place to drive (despite all of our issues with track staff).

At Watkins Glenn get prepaired to have your *^^ whipped in ITB by a Blethen trio ;) :cavallo: JK :D

At Watkins Glenn we run three drivers with 2 stops:
first stop check over the car and driver change
second stop re-fuel, check over the car, driver change

All three of us are quick and make a strong team but we have found strengths/weeknesses in each of us and together we figure those out and drive in that order... For example:
1st leg is someone who is good at starts and "playing safe" with 60+ cars in a pack but get us into the lead without destroying the car.
2nd leg is someone that can maintain an even sfe pace without hurting the car... should be knowledgable of particular issues the car may have.
3rd leg is someone that is VERY knowledgable of particular issues that will come up with the car... he/she should be able to "milk" the car home if need be.

As for what to expect... Possible tire failures, and possible brake failures... Read the new Enduro rules that are being put in place and keep up to date with that... READ the Supplimental regulations as each race seems to be different. Some require more than 1 driver other don't. Some require minimum 3 and length of stops others don't. Some requre fire bottles, some don't... The list could go on and on.

Good luck, and looking forward to seeing you at Watkins Glenn in the fall!!!

Raymond

Knestis
03-27-2006, 01:58 PM
I like to think that we are pretty good at the enduro thing, with experience going back to the mid '80s. I'd argue that the biggest challenge is changing to an enduro/rally kind of mindset.

The first, most important thing to recognize is that long races are not won at the track: They are won in the shop BEFORE the race ever begins. Every consummable part on the car should be well within its projected life before you show up. If you don't know - or can't find - lifing data (in terms of track hours) for parts on your car, consider refreshing hubs, bearings, ball joints, rod ends, etc. and keeping the unbroken used ones as emergency spares. Many sprint racers frankly seem to wait until something busts to replace it - an approach that will doom a 12-hour effort.

On track, it's important to find an appropriately agressive pace and stick to it. Be methodical during pit stops - there is a HUGE tendency to rush to save a couple of seconds, which is never a good idea - and communicate among the team members. Have fun - it's critical to success and sometimes necessary to make it rather than just waiting for it to happen. Have enough people who know what they are doing.

Blethen's right - you need to find the specific rules for the specific event you want to run. They will make many of your decisions for you.

A 3-hour is almost not an enduro for us anymore. I did the NASA 3.5 last year solo, with one stop for gas only. The only challenge there is hydration maintenance - getting enough water withouth having to take a pee stop during the race. We didn't even take tools or parts to the pits, just a tire and jack in the event of a flat.

K

MMiskoe
03-27-2006, 11:34 PM
If you're a local to Nelson & want to drive in '07 I'll tell you to whore yourself out to the best team you can for the '06 race. Spend the weekend w/ a team who is planning on winning (or at least is there to be competitive). Watch what they do. I can't see any team being so secretive that they wouldn't let you work w/ them one year, then race against you the next.

Otherwise - What Kirk said. And plan on being really tired the next day.

For the 3 hour, ask around what people in a similar car have experienced for tire/brake/fuel consumption.

Matt

Hahn63
03-29-2006, 03:51 PM
"If you're a local to Nelson & want to drive in '07 I'll tell you to whore yourself out to the best team you can for the '06 race. Spend the weekend w/ a team who is planning on winning (or at least is there to be competitive). Watch what they do. "

If you want to do that you are more than welcome to hang out with us this season. We have won the 12 hour at Summit and at Nelson in ITA with our Mazda. I would be more than happy to show you all the details it takes to win. The more enduro teams we have the better so we can keep the enduro community viable. I would prefer to have competion that is worthy!!! We are based in Columbus and will be running the 12 hour at Nelson along with the 3 hour in May. If you are want to contact me my email is [email protected]

Roland Hahn
#16 ITA