PDA

View Full Version : Noobie NHIS Questions

Jeremy Billiel
03-26-2006, 11:38 AM
So it looks as though I will be finally making it out to NHIS for the April School and I just have a few questions for the NHIS veterans.

1). Is NHIS hard on brakes? It does not seem so when looking at video...
2). Is it worth getting a garage?
3). Is the best/cheapest local hotel The Red Roof Inn?
4). I am coming from central CT and directions have me going up 495. Is this the best route or is it better go up central Mass and cut over?
5). Does anyone want to help out a newbie with crewing. Let me know your needs!
6). Any last tips on what I should know ahead of time?

Thanks in advance!

gran racing
03-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Glad to hear that you decided to attend the school. You'll have a blast!

1. Relatively speaking, yes. Lime rock on the other hand is very easy on brakes.
2. If it were to rain, then heck yeah! Otherwise I do not think so. You could also see if anyone wants to share a garage spot with you.
3. The Red Roof Inn is where I typically stay (usually for HPDEs).
4. I'm coming from the Hartford area and take the pike to 495. Much better than going up to Springfield and over.
5. Go over your car yet again to make sure everything looks good. Fluid check, brake check (if you haven't flushed your brakes for this year, do it), verify that you have everthing that you will need (I made a checklist). Go over your car and gear yet again. Bring lots of water and quick snacks; I recommend you bring fuel with you to the track (versus trying to buy it at the track).

Just go out there and enjoy the day and soak up as much as you can. These schools are soooo much fun!

What make / model, color, class, and number is your car?
See you on that Sat.

Jeremy Billiel
03-26-2006, 12:44 PM
Dave - I will be drive a 1995 Acura Integra GSR in ITS

1). As far as brakes, my car has none :rolleyes: so I am just curious how many sets of pads I need to bring. Look at the video it looks as though that hardest spot is going into the uphill so I thought it wouldn't be too bad on brakes.

4). I will stick with the Mass Pike to 495 as well. It looks as though its just about 3 hrs for me. I am about 20 mins south of Hartford.

Andy Bettencourt
03-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Jeremy,

Spares are always great to have but you will not need more than one set. NHIS is NOT hard on brakes. Worse than LRP, yes - but not that hard. If the SSB GS-R's can do it, so can you.

AB

lateapex911
03-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Out of Hartford, 64 to the mass pike to 495 and you should be under 3 hours. I am about 3:15 or so from Fairfield CT. (Depending on weather and traffic of course)

I think you will be fine on brakes, It seems that most guys learn how to brake REALLY effectively later in their racing experience, rather than the first few races. YMMV, but a set of spares is good to have but likely won't be needed.

Red Roof is the closest cheapest and least smelly place among the low end options.

If Dave Gran is there, paddock near him. He has a Honda, likes newbies, but isn't much use if anything goes seriously wrong, (LOL) but you need a mentor more than a mechanic. ;)

RSTPerformance
03-26-2006, 02:28 PM
people used to use 93 from 495, but that is now much longer especially on a friday night and sunday night with all the mass people coming to NH on vacation. Construction is done on RT 3 so be sure to go 495 to Rt 3 in Lowell then to 93 in Manchester/Hooksett.

Raymond

dickita15
03-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Construction is done on RT 3 [/b]
really :happy204:

JLawton
03-26-2006, 03:58 PM
I go 90 to 290 through Worchester to 495. It sucks going through the city but it does cut some time off.

There are plenty of gas stations near by but you won't have time during the day to get out, so bring a can.

I've never gotten a garage. If it rains I hang out with people who have them or sit in the truck. again, you'll be so busy you won't have time to hang out. Bring plenty of warm cloths.

Greg Amy (in his red Nissan) and I are planning on being up there through the school. Hunt us down Thursday when you get in.

>edit< Hey, I just noticed you live in Marlborough!! I live in Colchester, in the corner of Marlborough and East Hampton!! Off of Bull Hill (up from the covered bridge)

If you need anything, let me know. [email protected] or 267-7253

Jeremy Billiel
03-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Hey, I just noticed you live in Marlborough!! I live in Colchester, in the corner of Marlborough and East Hampton!! Off of Bull Hill (up from the covered bridge)

If you need anything, let me know. [email protected] or 267-7253
[/b]

Jeff - Thats so funny!!! I am literally about 5 mins from you. I live on Jerry Daniels Rd (Off of South Main St) in Marlborough.

Do you happen to have any scales to corner weight?

JLawton
03-27-2006, 07:59 AM
Do you happen to have any scales to corner weight?
[/b]

I don&#39;t have scales. I usualy mooch of Greg. We were planning on having a weighing party at Matt Kesslers shop but I don&#39;t think we are going to get it in before NHIS (Greg&#39;s car is still in pieces, I&#39;m going on vacation, etc.....) I think he&#39;s planning on brining them to NHIS. When are you planning on heading up to NHIS?

How long have you lived there? Small world...........

gran racing
03-27-2006, 09:23 AM
but isn&#39;t much use if anything goes seriously wrong[/b]

Very true!! But I&#39;ve gotten to be pretty good with a can of Bondo. <_<

Jeff, if you guys do a weighing party, let me know. (I really want to hear how the PDA event with your new car went too!)

Jeremy,

What kind of pads and brake fluid will you be running?

Jeremy Billiel
03-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Jeremy,

What kind of pads and brake fluid will you be running?
[/b]

Dave - I am running Cobalt Spec VR&#39;s in the Front with Sports in the back. I have always found Cobalt Friction to be a very good brake guy to know.

Jeremy Billiel
03-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Well I am officially in, although for those who have no reserved a room I took the last one at the Red Roof!

:happy204: :lol: B)

p99ro
03-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Hi Jeremy.

Answar to 1 is yes. And So on except 5.
Everyone who chimed in knows NHIS very well and is fast. Bring gas gas gas. Like they said you will have no time but to refill and go. Garages for school is good 2 reasons. Near to on and off track and the class room. 2 Warmer you can close the door. You`ll need lunch to check out the car. You can`t miss any on track time at all. You will need all the hours. 3 total I think Right? And offer to buy beer for the instuctors. But not if your under 21. Just kidding.
Good luck and Hold your line except if you need t move real fast out of the way.
Scott CRXsi 07 NER ITA

May come up It depends what My uncle leaves me with. :bash_1_:

stevel
03-31-2006, 05:33 PM
Just an fyi. The NER provides lunch (at least they did 2 years ago) both days, which is nice. One less thing to worry about. And I would just eat it during the track walk around.

And to reiterate what everyone else said. You don&#39;t have much time, if any, to check the car. About all you&#39;ll have time for it to retorque the lug nuts and lower your tire pressures. Don&#39;t forget gas too! Though, it&#39;s an Acura so that&#39;s all you should have to worry about. I doubt you&#39;ll have many issues. Those cars out of the box hold up fantastic.

See you out there!

Yes, a garage is worth it. When you get one when you show up, tell them you wanna split one if you haven&#39;t found anyone by that time. You&#39;ll have to pay for the whole thing, but they might be able to send someone down and they can just give the cash. If not, just put up a sign in the empty spot. Someone will eventually grab it.

steve