PDA

View Full Version : Radiator repairs & protection

gran racing
03-25-2006, 07:29 PM
So, I just did something really stupid while rushing to put the new radiator in today! :bash_1_: Now that I have two nice holes from hitting the power steering bolts, how should I go about fixing it? Last year at the track, we used some JB Weld to complete the repair, which worked very well. I later decided to replace it for peace of mind. Before I use that technique again, would it be much better to have someone weld it? Any idea what that method would cost to complete? And should I be looking for some type of business that specializes in this type of repair or anyone who welds well (with the right type of welding for this repair)?

Once I get it repaired and carefully install it (Grrrrr!), do many of you do anything to prevent damage to your radiator from normal track damages (such as rocks hitting it)? I was thinking about using some wirecloth such as the type used for windows to help protect it.

itaintegra31
03-25-2006, 08:54 PM
Take the radiator to a radiator shop and have them repair it for you should cost under $75, then go to Home Depot and buy some 1/4 wire mesh screen and mount it a few inches away from the front of the radiator when it is installed.

dickita15
03-26-2006, 07:31 AM
Put as much distance between the 1/4" mesh and the radiator as possible. my installation allowed about 4 inches. it is amazing how much abuse the screen is subjected to.

RSTPerformance
03-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Take some ducktape tape it up, qualify right behind me and my brother and go have fun!!!

:rolleyes:

Raymond

charrbq
03-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Take the radiator to a radiator shop and have them repair it for you should cost under $75, then go to Home Depot and buy some 1/4 wire mesh screen and mount it a few inches away from the front of the radiator when it is installed.
[/b]

Put as much distance between the 1/4" mesh and the radiator as possible. my installation allowed about 4 inches. it is amazing how much abuse the screen is subjected to.
[/b]
Good advice! I have an allergy to putting stuff in my radiator other than H2O and antifreeze. All that stuff flowing around like cholesterol in my arteries...yuk! A radiator shop will cost minimal compared to the piece of mind.

gran racing
03-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Ray, behind you guys? :( I'm really looking forward to the June LRP event!!! Should be a blast.

Alright, so forget the JB Weld stuff. If a radiator shop does it, do shops typically do a good enough job repairing it that I won't have to worry about leaks? I was begining to wonder if I should just suck it up and buy a new one. I really don't want to, but at the same time I don't want to tow the car far away and not be able to race.

joeg
03-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Buy yourself a new one; have the broken one repaired--if worth it--for use as a spare.

A shop will normally pressure test a repair, so leakage is not the issue. The issue is whether the repair would cause any loss in cooling efficiency for the unit--a consideration if your cooling is marginal.

ITC Racer
04-04-2006, 09:50 PM
I damaged my 2 core rad a couple years back and had a radiator shop pinch the tubes off to repair this- probably brazed/welded them shut also but it worked like a champ. This is on an 85 CRX with a full width rad and a second core- definitely check out how much less cooling this will provide to see if the car will run hot.

I do also have the stainless steel mesh in front of the rad in the bumper cover to keep the big chunks out.