PDA

View Full Version : SARRC double at CMP April 1,2 - who's going?

RFloyd
03-21-2006, 05:40 PM
I'll be there with the ITB CRX, camping, grilling, and having a blast! Who's going to be there?

Team SSR
03-22-2006, 03:48 PM
We'll be there for both days.

latebrake
03-22-2006, 04:29 PM
We'll be there for both days.
[/b]

Hey, how did your car do/feel/handle/ at VIR this past weekend at the lower weight? Make any difference? Corner better? Pull the hill better? Stuff like that. We are still kicking around the 87 924S vs the 944S. Both are about 50% done.

Lawrence

DavidM
03-22-2006, 05:04 PM
I should be there. First time at the track. Should be fun.

Somebody want to give me quick info on getting to the track and parking? The CMP website doesn't have a whole lot of info. Is the entrance right off the main road? Where's the registration booth? Is it park yourself? If so, where's the best places to setup?

Thanks.

David

seckerich
03-22-2006, 05:55 PM
David the entrance is right on the road and there is a good sized sign. You will see the track on your right the direction you will come from atlanta. Registration is the building on the right side about 100 yards into the track. Parking is first come basis and there is little or no power and what is there sucks at best. Some bright light thought you should put everyone on the same breaker and lock it up. Might have gotten better but I doubt it. If you have a generator I would bring it. Nice bathrooms on either end of paddock. Grid is near the entrance and tech and impound on the far corner so pick your poison when parking. Hope to see you there. Please make sure your brakes are fresh or you will not make the race.

RFloyd
03-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Please make sure your brakes are fresh or you will not make the race.
[/b]

Amen on that point!

DavidM
03-23-2006, 12:17 AM
Pads and rotors have 3 races on them, one of which was a rain race. Lot of pad left. So I think I'll be good. I'm used to Road Atlanta as far as brake wear. How's CMP compare? I'm still learning so I'm not as hard on the brakes yet as I should be (working on it).

Looks like I'll be staying in a hotel in Lancaster. Camden's all booked. Anybody got any good tidbits of info on Lancaster? Mapquest says to go up 77 and then cut across some smaller roads to get there. Is that the best way or would it be better to go over to 521 and head up it?

Thanks.

David

Tristan Smith
03-23-2006, 09:28 AM
David, make sure you have a second set of pads, you will eat them up at CMP regardless of how deep you are going in. It is the hardest track on brakes in the southeast. Rd Atl. doesn't come close in comparision. The track is easy to find, just follow the directions given on the website. There in a great Mexican Restraunt that we always go to there, on Hw 601 (west of the Walmart).

Team SSR
03-23-2006, 11:07 AM
Lawrence,
We got about 85lbs out of the car before VIR - we'll have more out by CMP. The biggest problem we had at VIR was the stock motor not being able to pull the car down the straights in 5th gear. I'm working on a new motor and getting the lower 5th gear for the May race. Braking is better, but I think we have too much front bias. I'm looking into a more aggressive rear pad. It was our first time at VIR, so I don't have a good comparison. We ran 1:57's at the CCPS at CMP in February at 2725lbs. Hopefully with the added lightness we should improve.

latebrake
03-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Lawrence,
We got about 85lbs out of the car before VIR - we'll have more out by CMP. The biggest problem we had at VIR was the stock motor not being able to pull the car down the straights in 5th gear. I'm working on a new motor and getting the lower 5th gear for the May race. Braking is better, but I think we have too much front bias. I'm looking into a more aggressive rear pad. It was our first time at VIR, so I don't have a good comparison. We ran 1:57's at the CCPS at CMP in February at 2725lbs. Hopefully with the added lightness we should improve.
[/b]

Thanks for the info. I still have a soft spot for the 944. You must have a short 5th in the 944, MUST have it. Its a no brainer changing one out. We have had 6 or 8 trans at any one time but not sure if we have one with a short fith right now. We have sold and swaped a ton to the 944 guys in NASA. PM me and I will tell you what Jon Milliedge does for the intake and exhaust. Changes the car peroid!!!

Lawrence

Phat-S
03-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Anthony, hope you had a good time at VIR, we were just behind you (the CRX & Integra) but I wasn't sure if you'd put a name to a face. I think that weight will have a bigger impact at Kerslaw than it will at VIR btw. FWIW, I have had good luck w/ the PFC97, Hawk Blue, Carbotech 110x fronts and aggressive street rears (auto-x pads) and found that the same pad all around was just too much rear brake.

Have you guys looked at the Audi final drive (4.11 IIRC) in the 944? It was always something that interested me if I were to build my 944-S for ITS. Also, if you do not have an LSD, seckridge here (the guy w/ the black ITS RX7 from this past weekend at VIR) makes one for the car that I have really liked (and I have driven on two factory ones for comparison sake - I think Steve's is a great option and I'd do that again if I were to need to).

Team SSR
03-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Phat-S,
This is Bruce - Anthony's dad. I know he liked VIR - he's been playing it on GTR. He likes the higher speed corners and the elevation changes. He spun off twice in the race - I'm glad he didn't hit you guys!
Thanks for the brake pad info.
I know the transmission gear ratios are mandated, but is the R&P swap legal?
We have an open diff right now. How much will an LSD help our car?

Phat-S
03-23-2006, 09:36 PM
Gotcha Bruce, I am pretty sure I met both of you at Kershaw last year. I don't recall seeing him on track in the race but I do kinda have a visual of it from Qualifying. Glad he had a good time.

On the 4.11 FD, the ITCS says any final drive ratio is allowed provided no housing modification is made - the Audi drops right in.

Personally, I think the lsd made a huge difference in how the car feels and allows you to get on the power so much earlier.

tom_sprecher
03-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Depending on if I get the body cut away from the roll cage this weekend I might go to help some out several of my formula buds. If so, we'll be camping, cooking and :birra: Just follow the smell of grilled meat.

JeffYoung
03-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Going from a 3.08 to 3.45 rear end (my car won't rev) and adding a Quaife netted me 2 seconds at VIR. Do it if you can.

Remember too that if you turn 2:00's at CMP in April, that the track is a couple of seconds quicker when cold. May and August it gets greasy and slow.

Also, Tristan is key-rect. Bring extra pads. That place eats mine alive.

Parrish57
03-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Hey Jeff... I didn't see your name on the entry list. What up? So far there are 9 ITS cars.

Steve

JeffYoung
03-24-2006, 11:14 AM
I thought I signed up?? I'll have to check, that sign up page was a bit screwy.

In the process of rebushing the car, and it MIGHT not be done (waiting on a bearing sleave) by next Friday. If not, ITA Miata for me.

One way or the other, I will see you there. Everything work out ok with those rocks in the kidney? I know those things can be incredibly painful.

Parrish57
03-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Jeff,

Doc says I'm cleared for full contact!

I just checked. I still don't see you in ITS. We're now up to 11 drivers! I spoke to the registrar this morning. She said there were several people who had problems with the online registeration. I was trying to make a change to entry and it wouldn't let me so I switched to manual.

Steve

jmark
03-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Steve,

Any other Z cars besides yourself?

JeffYoung
03-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Looks like Bob Pharr (pretty blue Z), David Potts (forgive me if I got the name wrong) in a yellow Z and Steve.

Also have a couple of Mazdas, an MR2 (cool!), three 944s and me (TR8). What a neat ITS field. Should be a fun couple of races.

Russ Myers
03-24-2006, 06:55 PM
I will be there, but just to pick up some stuff. The Fiesta should see the track at Savanah in later April.It's only been broken for three years.

Russ

Parrish57
03-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Not sure, but it looks like the Pharrs might have two Z cars- 61 and 63. David Plott's yellow Z and mine round out the Z car contingent. Some fast Mazdas, a pair of 944's, a stealth Triumph, and an MR2 fill out ITS. Overall it looks to be a great race weekend.

Hotshoe
03-29-2006, 12:10 AM
Well Guys,

.... I was really hoping to make it but I just can't get 99 fixed in time. I pretty much destroyed the front clip from the firewall forward. I have managed to strip the donor car and remove the front clip. And have 99 on the frame machine with the front clip stripped and ready to pull.
.... I have repaired the front frame rails and aprons four times before, so I guess it was time for it to get replaced. She took a hard hit at VIR, and as far as the safety protection built into the car from the factory, it more than did it's job.
.... I want to thank John Lindquist for accepting my apology, and for understanding that we (as racers) make mistakes, but, we should also make amends.

... Hope to see you all at Roebling Road,

... Rick Thompson

Parrish57
03-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Rick... Sorry to hear about your car. I know you'll fix it better than before. That's bad news for the competition! (Maybe for some of us slow ITS guys, too)

Steve

DavidM
03-29-2006, 02:47 PM
The car's prepped and I have an extra set of brake pads in hand. I'll load up tonight and head out tomorrow night to be there for the practice day friday (there is practice on friday, right?).

I've got the write-up on CMP from Sports Car and I'll check out the videos on Spec Miata. Anybody want to give some pointers on driving an IT car around the track?

See ya out there.

David

Team SSR
04-01-2006, 08:40 PM
20 cars in Saturdays Group 3 race (ITS/IT7/ITA).
Steve Eckerich won, Kent Thompson was 2nd - well ahead of the rest of the pack. Both in RX7's. We qualified 9th, then spun racing for 6th. We ended up 9th. I loosened up the car a little for the race. I guess it was too much...

Looking forward to tomorrows races!