PDA

View Full Version : rust repair?

anrkii
03-18-2006, 02:19 PM
my crx has some rocker panel rust, and a section of the pinch weld (floor to rocker) is shot, so is it ok to cut off the shot sections of pinch weld and weld a piece of sheetmetal there instead? or would i have to use rivets?

not looking to beef anything up, just to keep the floor from falling out...

lateapex911
03-18-2006, 03:21 PM
IMHO, the best way is to cut out the offending section, and fab a replacement peice. I would size it to fit with a slight gap, and butt weld it in. It's a more "stock" repair, but it also eliminates the rust issues that can accomany lap welding.

On the pinch weld, I would drill holes on my replacement peice, then "rosette" weld with a mig which is the best field method to replicate the factroy spot welds.

Use a weldable primer before you join those peices to protect the unwelded internal peices, and a good seam sealer to make the repair last.

That said, most people will just cut a peice and slap it on there, and nobody would blink and eye, myself included.

I would raise an eyebrow at a long peice of channel that runs the length of the rockers as I have seen on some cars. (I was told they were 'Jacking points')