PDA

View Full Version : Crew helmets *possibly* required at NHIS for '06

ulfelder
03-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Here's an important note from last night's RR Board meeting - important because it's not in the supps for the April school/race:

Short version
NHIS is requiring people in hot areas of the track to wear helmets this year. This will primarily affect volunteer workers and emergency responders, but may affect crew as well, though that is not etched in stone.

Longer version
First, bear in mind that this is a track rule that has nothing to do with SCCA or NER. It is in the 2006 contract. Ergo, if you disagree with it there is no sense griping here, to Brian, to Kathy, etc. :dead_horse:

How does this affect crew? That is the big question for us, and the answer is up in the air, because Kathy Barnes is still working with NHIS to define "hot," and she is seeking what I will call El Loophole Grande: it is possible that pit boxes will not be deemed hot areas. With the possible exception of El Loophole Grande, anything over pit wall is hot. That means if your crew likes to go way over to the outer pit wall to flash you messages or time you, they will need helmets.

What constitutes a helmet? Any "helmet designed to protect the head in a fall" is acceptable. Bike helmets, ski helmets, hockey helmets: all OK. Hard hats: not OK. Pith helmets: dashing but not OK.

NHIS and NER are aware that there'll be confusion the first weekend. Expect friendly reminders (the first time) and available loaner helmets.

Best advice: If you have crew who take your tire temps or otherwise go over the wall, throw a couple of cycling helmets in your truck.

Key point to remember: Love &#39;em or hate &#39;em, helmet laws are what the future holds, according to those in the know. (The notion of taking responsibility for your own actions and not suing somebody every time you get a boo-boo is apparently quaint. <_< ) So we should all get used to this.

Steve U
05 ITS
Flatout Motorsports

joeg
03-18-2006, 10:10 AM
"...if I only had a crew...!

16v
03-19-2006, 08:15 PM
This will primarily affect volunteer workers[/b]

am I to assume that photographers are included in this?

ulfelder
03-20-2006, 05:35 PM
I&#39;m going to guess yes on photogs needing helmets, though that wasn&#39;t specifically mentioned.

RSTPerformance
03-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Doug-

From my understanding NO you wont need them, as long as you stay behind the walls at corner stations... If you go out onto the "hot track" to respond to an incident then YES you will need one!!!

I would suggest brining something "Just In Case"

Raymond

16v
03-20-2006, 07:46 PM
I&#39;m going to look pretty dumb at the ski or bike shop shop trying on helmets and holding my camera up to my head to make sure I can actually see into it :unsure:

dickita15
03-21-2006, 07:36 AM
Come on, don&#39;t tell me you are afraid of looking dumb, if so you would not hang around with us.

check with brian but as long as you stay off the pavement when the track is hot i don&#39;t think you need one.

CSPTK
03-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Correct me if I&#39;m wrong but isnt New Hampshire one state that DOES NOT require helmets for motorcyclists? :wacko:

Live Free or Die...unless you&#39;re burdend by liability insurance at a race track.

7racing
03-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Correct me if I&#39;m wrong but isnt New Hampshire one state that DOES NOT require helmets for motorcyclists? :wacko:

Live Free or Die...unless you&#39;re burdend by liability insurance at a race track.
[/b]

Awesome! Never thought of that.

Is this a track defined hot area and a time that it is &#39;hot&#39;? In the case of photographers, is in between sessions on the track considered a &#39;hot track&#39;, therefore necessitating a helmet.

Secondly, is Grid considered a hot area? Would anyone going to grid need a helmet (I think I remember hearing no on that, but just checking). I assume, if there were a black flag all during a race, that anyone attending the cars in the pit lane would then need a helmet, or would the black/red flag time be considered &#39;non-hot&#39;?

I know I could call Brian and ask him, but I don&#39;t want to get him all worked up again. :dead_horse:

Jeremy

RSTPerformance
03-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Jeremy-

Got to bash you ;) YOu should have come to the meeting!!! :cavallo:

ok but for real... I think it is clear from the track standpoint...

1)If you are working a station and you will be responding to assist cars on the track then you need to have a helmet on.

2) If you are in Pit lane and wish to go in or across the line of traffic (outside pit boxes) then you need to have a helmet on.

3) Grid is in the paddock thierfor NOT in a "hot" area as defined by the track.

Between sessions could be argued either way, however IMO with respect to a track that is extreamily accomodating to SCCA I think that you should wear a helmet.

Raymond "happy Hour is in Boston wednesday night, all are welcome to join and :014: further over a :birra: " Blethen

16v
03-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Come on, don&#39;t tell me you are afraid of looking dumb, if so you would not hang around with us.
[/b]

:lol: I was looking at from the point of view that with a helmet your head, it&#39;s difficult to bring the eyepiece up to the eye - the portion of the helmet over the forehead sticks out a bit and would make it hard to get the camera close enough, but anyway.. I&#39;ll figure something out

I&#39;m wondering if this means those in the pace car have to be helmeted too?

RSTPerformance
03-21-2006, 10:31 PM
I&#39;m wondering if this means those in the pace car have to be helmeted too?
[/b]

that i can&#39;t even guess!!! good question!!!

raymond

Dave Patten
03-22-2006, 10:33 AM
I sent Brian Mushnik a quick e-mail on this. His response was.

Pace Car driver and all passengers need helmets.

Victory Laps, no helmets needed for passengers.

Andy Bettencourt
03-22-2006, 11:32 AM
These aren&#39;t too bad.

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/product...70&prod_id=1892 (http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/products/product_detail.aspx?cat_id=70&prod_id=1892)

The "Over the Wall" series for $99.

16v
03-22-2006, 09:53 PM
how much at the FO store?

bg43wex
03-24-2006, 03:01 PM
this just in

ONLY people who will set foot on the track will be required to wear a helmet.

no pace car

no victory laps

no grid

YES to the driving lane in pits and YES if you want to stand on the outter wall in the pits to do timing

at this time they may be required for crew during the enduro when you are working on cars.

you don&#39;t need to spend 100 bucks with anybody an old
bike helmet is sufficiant.

B