PDA

View Full Version : standard latch vs. camlock harnesses - preferences?

anrkii
03-16-2006, 03:12 AM
newb here, just bought a car, its going to need new belts.
so what do you guys prefer ? camlock, or regular latch style harnesses?

many of the camlock harnesses are not reccomended for "sit up" type cars like we have. why is this?

i know camlocks are more money, but thats not the issue, I just want the most comfortable, easiest to use, and most importantly easiest to escape in case of the worst.

opinions please

JLawton
03-16-2006, 07:29 AM
Cam lock :023:

Never heard that they weren't good for a sit-up postition though........????

You can get some cam locks for under $150 if you look around.

shwah
03-16-2006, 08:41 AM
I like the latch style. Simply because of the release motion - grab and rip the tether.

jhooten
03-16-2006, 09:33 AM
You can get FIA camlocks for under $150 if you look around.

I just put a camlock set in my car and can get the belts buckled up much faster than with the latch link. Much less stress when gird gives you a short 3.

JamesB
03-16-2006, 10:28 AM
I have used both and I say I prefer camlock. The latchlink is not as easy to get out of in a hurry where my camlock is a quick twist and it locks open allowing me to just get out of the belts if needed.

You can get an FIA 5 or 6 point Gforce for around 130.00

lateapex911
03-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Camlock for the above mentioned ingress issues.

RSTPerformance
03-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Camlock for all the above reasons... I swore when they first came out that I hated them and would never get them, thus when i first built my car it had the latch style... After my dad got them and I used them a few times I quickly changed my mind, and when I was forced to get new belts per the rules, I bought Camlocks... IMO it is now one of the best luxuries on the car and its Audi!!!

Raymond

RacerBill
03-17-2006, 09:26 AM
I guess I am a purist - I like the vintage look of the latchlink. Also, I used a car at the Mid-Ohio School that had camlocks with a release lever on the bottom. At the end of the school, I noticed that I had bloodied one of my thumbs on the latch - being in the center and at the closest point to the steering wheel. I guess better adjustment of the seat could have prevented that, but still made me leary of them.

But that's what makes a horse race - use what if comfortable physically and mentally! Price can be a wash if you shop (approx. $30-40 per year for either cam or latch). And I can see where the cams can be easier to latch since you attach one strap/belt at a time. But my latchlink belts are double adjustable (rough adjustments at the mounting points, fine adjustments at the latch). Also, (and I may be wrong here) with only one locking point at the bottom for the submarine strap, you would have to have both straps for the 6-point and the the strap for the 5-point attaached to the same plate that goes in the lock. Anybody see a 7-point camlock yet?

JamesB
03-17-2006, 10:59 AM
5, 6 and 7 point cams all lock into a single poiint in the bottom, the shape and size of the bottom latch is the only differnce. I just went from 5 to 6 point with my new belts and I really cannot complain. Acutally since its a Gforce Pro seriese (FIA) I think the cam operation is a lot better then standard (even new.)

C. Ludwig
03-23-2006, 04:58 PM
After helping a buddy buckle in before as session I swore off camlocks. He latched the belts himself and it looked like he had everything right but one of the straps didn't get secured. As he was moving around the latch worked it's way out. If I wasn't there he never would of saw it. With the latch and link it's much easier to know that they are positively latched and not going to pop out.

Russ Myers
03-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Latch. With the SCCA making us change every two tears, cost is a factor. Race-Quip belts are a good bargain.

Russ

(By the way, the Fiesta is almost ready after a 3 year snooze. Should see the light of day by Savanah in April.)