PDA

View Full Version : Tech at Registration

RussJones
03-15-2006, 04:24 PM
As a one man show (driver, mech, crew) showing up for a race is stressful with so much to do. Was wondering if it was ever considered to have a Tech rep at the gate for those just needing a helmet check and sticker. Also, after our annual equip. check why do we need to keep going back for the helmet check?? Couldn't reg just check our log book and give us the sticker?

JohnRW
03-15-2006, 05:22 PM
As a one man show (driver, mech, crew) showing up for a race is stressful with so much to do. Was wondering if it was ever considered to have a Tech rep at the gate for those just needing a helmet check and sticker. [/b]

Some Regions do this (DC Region in NEDiv...maybe more) but it's mostly a problem of 'staffing'. Does Tech have an extra, licensed inspector to send up to Registration on Friday night, or are things usually too busy at Tech itself, with gear check/annuals/logbook notation updates, etc. ? Drivers can always volunteer to help out, and get a Tech license...thereby ensuring an available staff.

Also, after our annual equip. check why do we need to keep going back for the helmet check?? Couldn't reg just check our log book and give us the sticker?
[/b]

Log books are for cars. Helmet stickers are for personal equipment. Cars and drivers regularly change (rentals, 'borrows', etc.), and some drivers have multiple logbooks for multiple race car logbooks (I've got 5...is that considered a 'full house' ?).

RussJones
03-15-2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks but still baffled about helmet check. You get it checked with your car every year. Couldnt a stamp on your member card verify you're set for 06. Then when you check in to reg. the scca helper sees this and gives you the roll bar sticker?

JamesB
03-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Actually in WDCR you get an annual on your gear and car. I believe as a required formality you do need to check in at tech with your log book and helmet, this allows them to check that you do not need a partial or complete tech before you can hit the track and to ensure your helmet is in good condition every race.

I think I have more work to do in the morning working in Pit then I have as a driver at school.

JohnRW
03-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks but still baffled about helmet check. You get it checked with your car every year. Couldnt a stamp on your member card verify you're set for 06. Then when you check in to reg. the scca helper sees this and gives you the roll bar sticker?
[/b]

Not sure what you're asking. Currently, you get a 'helmet sticker' at the beginning of every year, when your personal safety gear is checked ...so all you need to do is show up at Tech (or Registration, if they're like DC Region) with your logbook and helmet (so they can see the external, annual 'helmet sticker' to get a Tech sticker for the weekend. That's pretty easy.

RSTPerformance
03-16-2006, 12:56 AM
Russ-

I would bet that the NER comp board would be willing to do a "Tech" line at registration if drivers such as yourself got your tech licence and maned the line. Come to the Comp Board meeting this friday night in Worcester Mass and present your idea and a volunteer list to accomplish it. The comp board seems to me very willing and wanting to try new things, generally the issue is finding people to do the work required for all the wonderful ideas...

Raymond "Great ideas need people to put them in motion" Blethen

x-ring
03-16-2006, 10:07 AM
[/b]

A sticker on your license would work as well as a sticker on your helmet, but Tech would still need to see your logbook before issuing the event sticker. The reason for this is that we are checking to see that your car had its annual inspection this year and that it hasn't had any write-ups (crash damage or compliance) since the annual that need to be checked before you go out again.

Andy Bettencourt
03-16-2006, 10:09 AM
In NER we do it the same as in WDCR (and Russ is from NER)

You can't bypass the tech line. An inspector has to look in your logbook to see what (if any) notations you have in there from the previous race. Adding a step to the Registration line is a bottleneck.

The nice thing about the tech line is that you can have a friend do it for you and/or you can do it as time permits.

AB

itracer
03-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Grid can check the sticker on the helmet, but they cannot check your license. Not that anyone would borrow someone else's helmet to get through tech :018: (oh wait, they're drivers, yes they would -- cheaters suck :bash_1_: )

JamesB
03-16-2006, 12:27 PM
I wonder, how many regions actually enforce this rule..

17.23.2 ... The back of each driver’s helmet shall
be labeled with a minimum of the driver’s name...[/b]

If thats the norm wouldn't the detract from the borrowing? As a worker I know I got picked on for not having my name on the back of my helmet when I showed up at school.

RussJones
03-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Ray, I cant make it to the comp baord meeting this friday, but I am willing to man the tech line at registration. Dont see any reason if you are in the last or second to last run group, 1/2 hour manditory tech relief would help. This thread was not a shot at tech or people working at reg by the way. For me I have no time to be at NHIS the night before, so showing up, going thru reg, finding paddock space, unloading my car, getting my gear unloaded, etc etc......then running over to have my helmet and logbook looked checked makes for a rushed morning. Most of the time there are 3 or 4 guys working in tech, my thought was to have 1 at a table next to the registration. THis way if you have no logbook issues you can take care of all business in one location, then get ready to race. Just a thought.

RSTPerformance
03-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Russ-

Again, great idea... and it good to keep those ideas coming... Probably don't need to go to the comp board meeting to get something started. Talk to Scott (chief of tech) at the event in April, maybe you can work with him to get something started. Having volunteers ready and willing will help your efforts :)

Raymond "I wish I could help, but I think I am going to be a bit busy racing and stewarding this year!!!" Blethen

wdether
03-16-2006, 08:55 PM
A sticker on your license would work as well as a sticker on your helmet, but Tech would still need to see your logbook before issuing the event sticker. The reason for this is that we are checking to see that your car had its annual inspection this year and that it hasn't had any write-ups (crash damage or compliance) since the annual that need to be checked before you go out again.
[/b]

As Ty stated, tech needs to look at the logbook for an anual inspection and to see if there is any tech write-ups. There are other items in the logbook that need to be examined such as homologation papers, etc. I would be concerned that some volunteer driver might not notice a write-up or know what to do with the write-up. It is a good idea for tech to be at registration if they have the manpower. At Limerock and Pocono, NNJR usually has a tech line in the paddock area on the first night of registration to do annuals, etc.

Bill Etherington
NNJR

RSTPerformance
03-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Bill-

Agreed it would have to be a tech person, but nothing says that a driver would not make a perfect candidate to get his/her tech licence and be "the volunteer."

Raymond

wdether
03-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Bill-

Agreed it would have to be a tech person, but nothing says that a driver would not make a perfect candidate to get his/her tech licence and be "the volunteer."

Raymond
[/b]

Ray,
I think something could be worked out. At most events, tech generally isn't in the position to turn away good help at the tech line. Of course, I cannot speak for the other regions. I would be willing to have volunteers help in the tech line, I just have the preference of doing it in the paddock area. If the volunteer has a question on a logbook, he/she can ask one of the other techs at the tech table. I would rather not leave the volunteer up on an island up at registration while the rest of tech is in the paddock.

Bill Etherington