PDA

View Full Version : legal weight mounting?

anrkii
03-14-2006, 01:52 AM
i know theres a huge thread on adding weight, but it doesnt really say how to add that weight to the pass. floorboard both safely and legally.

so how are you doing it?

Tkczecheredflag
03-14-2006, 10:49 AM
The GCR - ITCS sec 9, l. on page 14 explains the placement and mounting specifics.

http://scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/ImprovedTouring.pdf

Hope that helps.

zracre
03-14-2006, 11:11 AM
I am in the process of adding more bars to the cage...the best way to legally add weight where it is needed. Any additional weight can be mounted in the pass footwell. Use 2 large bolts and make a 1/8" or 1/4" plate to sandwich it there safely. For now the car has the pass seat and a spare tire installed. If yo ufeel like spending $$$ get a cool suit, accusump and radios. Im sure some creative building could be done for a radio box with 1/4" steel plate...good luck!!

pgipson
03-14-2006, 10:00 PM
So whatever happened to the Spec Miata at the Jan AZ Region nationals that was challenged over the thickness of the cage pad? As I recall it was like 6 in thick and weighed about 35 pounds. The argument for it was along the line that the pad was a required item and couldn't be challenged as long as it met the specs -- which are for area not volume.

I'm not even sure the car was actually written up by tech or the stewards.

charrbq
03-15-2006, 12:23 AM
Where there is a rule, there will be innovative interpretations of said rule. Once the rule is forced to an explicit definition, it becomes obsolete. Creativity is the soul of IT. B)

x-ring
03-15-2006, 09:57 AM
So whatever happened to the Spec Miata at the Jan AZ Region nationals that was challenged over the thickness of the cage pad? As I recall it was like 6 in thick and weighed about 35 pounds. The argument for it was along the line that the pad was a required item and couldn't be challenged as long as it met the specs -- which are for area not volume.

I'm not even sure the car was actually written up by tech or the stewards.
[/b]

It was. As I understand it, there was an ugly scene, with the car owner being told one thing by the Stewards and another by the Chief of Tech. It must have gotten pretty out of hand, because the car owner (who did NOT build the cage, BTW) is an exceptionally nice guy, and not prone to loosing his temper.

One of the scrutineers from Colorado, which is where the car lives, told me in our last con-call that it has gone to the COA, so watch FasTrack. I hope it's resolved before the N/N at Pueblo in April (since I'm working that race...)

Sorry you had to withdraw from the R/R at Arroyo Seco, I was looking forward to meeting you there.

anrkii
03-21-2006, 04:12 AM
hey, check out the april fasttrack , we can now mount weight anywhere between the footwell, and the rear of the front door now! Looks like i can mount it in the pass. seat spot , great!

joeg
03-21-2006, 09:00 AM
That GCR change will still not be "flexible" enough for some people. So 3/4 inch steel plates for various items (roll cage feet, firebottle mounts, etc.) will still be an issue.

zracre
03-21-2006, 12:53 PM
hey, check out the april fasttrack , we can now mount weight anywhere between the footwell, and the rear of the front door now! Looks like i can mount it in the pass. seat spot , great!
[/b]

not yet...you have to wait until 01/01/07 for that <_<