PDA

View Full Version : another wheel question

anrkii
03-14-2006, 12:01 AM
I plan to use 13" wheels, and i was wondering, for my itb crx, do i even need 13x6? they are dificult to find, and expensive when i do.

but there are bazillions of cheap, lightweight 13x5.5 wheels .

so is the 1/2 of an inch worth the extra money and hassle?

charrbq
03-14-2006, 12:07 AM
I think so. The more narrow the wheel, the more narrow the selection of applicable tires, and the more difficult to mount and make them properly functional. Arguements for and against narrow wheels and tires over wide wheels and tires go on forever. Results are like evidence on C.S.I., they tell the truth.

emwavey
03-14-2006, 12:26 AM
It really depends on you.

How competitive are you and what are your priorities?

If you have the extra fundiage and it's not allocated to making you or your car safer, then yeah, go for it. If you're just starting out with the whole racing thing, spend your money on safety gear, or use it to get to the track.

Also, keep watching for folks selling off old stuff in the classified section... you never know you might find a deal.

It never hurts to have an extra set of wheels even if you eventually decide to put out the cash for the 13x6s.

anrkii
03-14-2006, 12:36 AM
I just purchased my car, and it has sove vw 13x5.5 s on it with 205/60's , and the tires have actually burned off the lower portion of my front fenders on the crx

i plan to use toyo tires, they come in 185/60 , and the 205/60 .

so if i want to use the 205/60 tires i will need 13x6 with 5" backspacing, right?

will my hadling differ greatly if i step down to the 185/60's to use my current wheels?

charrbq
03-14-2006, 02:58 PM
I had trouble with VW wheels before. Not all of them are consistant to specs, apparently. Some banged my calipers, some didn't, same set. If you're tight on bucks starting off, go with the 185's. Yes, there is a difference in handling, but not much. Two main differences come with true final drive ratio with the different diameter tires...one is lowered top speed/greater acceleration, and the other is overheated/faster wearing tires. A bunch of that depends on where you race.
If you race on long, high speed courses, you'll be in a bind. Shorter, tighter courses, the 185's will be great.