PDA

View Full Version : How to 'repair' missing sound deadening in VW?

shwah
03-13-2006, 09:35 PM
So my car is pretty light right now, and I figured it would be smart to put back the asphalt sound deadening that some idot (me) painstakingly removed from the car during the build.

Any ideas on the appropriate stuff to use? My first thought is dynamat or something similar, since it is intended for the same purpose. I am actually looking forward to this as the car should get quieter and less hot inside with the insulation and carpet back in place. It will be nice when I don't have to run a full tank, spare tire and passenger seat.

pfcs
03-13-2006, 09:39 PM
apply 50 coats of leaded paint to the unseside of right/rear of car

eMKay
03-13-2006, 11:32 PM
What car? You are aware that mk1 GTI's and scirocco's got a 100lb weight break right? If you have one of those you may not have to worry about the weight half of it.

JamesB
03-14-2006, 10:05 AM
heh, I just installed my spare, need to run a half tank and mount 50# of ballast to make weight.

Rinoline the bottom of the car thats a nice way to gain weight.

joeg
03-14-2006, 02:58 PM
OH MY GOD do not add that body schutz back!

There are many alternatives such as heavy exhaust systems, accusumps, more cage tubes and regular ballast.

That schutz will only get in the way of future repairs or maintenance.

Bildon
03-14-2006, 07:22 PM

There are many alternatives such as heavy exhaust systems, accusumps, more cage tubes and regular ballast.

[/b]

Go check out the Wurth USA website.

shwah
03-14-2006, 11:07 PM

[/b]

Of everything you mention, the one thing I am considering is the exhaust, since it is the only thing lower than the floor. I figure if I am lucky enough to have a light Golf, I might as well put the weight back where it makes the most sense.

Go check out the Wurth USA website.
[/b]
Thanks for the tip :023:

nordtexan
03-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Unless you intend to carry marshmellows with you, do not use Rhino-lining. I followed another thread where another person asked the same question and was told by a Rhino dealer that their product is petroleum based and would be obviously flamable! The marshmellows would come in handy when the impressive potential Rabbit Roast were to happen.

If you are looking for sound-deadening characteristics, use audio quality Dynamat(sp?). If you are looking for weight, follow the racers advice.

JamesB
03-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Well I said it in a joking manor. Though isnt the oem stuff petrolium based? Because removers for petrolium based coatings take it off like butter. I stuck with some ballast, a spare tire and more fuel.

shwah
03-17-2006, 11:10 PM
I am leaning towards the Dynamat or Wurth stuff. In my mind either are an appropriate replacement for what I removed, in terms of legality. What do you guys think?

The reason I am doing this is that last weekend I showed up at the track with 2 nice new chunks of 50# ballast (9 x 1 x 18 slabs of steel) and appropriate mounting hardware/back plates and washers. By the end of the weekend I had added a 40# Datsun flywheel to the passenger floor, a passenger seat and put a rain tire in the spare well. I also ran about 3/4 tank of fuel (which is damn expensive ballast!). I was between 20 and 40 over (the scales change with the weather in Memphis).

I plan to keep the steel ballast, but would like to drop the fuel level a bit and not increase the polar moment of inertia by hanging a spare way out back.

I guess I need to add some weight to the driver :D

joeg
03-18-2006, 10:07 AM
GO FEAST ON SOME BIG MACS> YOU SKINNY GUYS MAKE ME JEALOUS!

JLawton
03-18-2006, 03:14 PM
If that's an A1 you're talking about, something is waaaaaaay off. You shouldn't have to be putting that much weight back into it........

shwah
03-18-2006, 07:44 PM
It is an 86 GTI that was a factory no air no sunroof car. It just always has been light. I ran into the same problem before, but without the 100 ballast. Now with a stronger cage the problem is worse. The old autopower one was awfully heavy though.

I have been thourough in building the car to remove what the rules allow, but have not been fanatical - there is still undercoating, still a passenger window (the ruling came out allowing the 'passenger door bars' just as the cage was coming together), I don't run exotic light wheels.

It is just a light car. Too bad it doesn't make up for a high mileage stock motor on the track.... :lol:

zracre
03-18-2006, 09:06 PM
My integra was way light too...even before the weight adjustment i needed 45# of ballast. now I had to re-engineer 160# back in redoing all the weights...spare tire pass seat and lots of lead in the foot well...not pretty but a cage re-engineer is in the works as well as a cool suit and a heavy muffler back in the RR corner.