PDA

View Full Version : What would your fantasy racetrack be like?

StephF
03-10-2006, 01:00 PM
Like everyone else in the Northeast with a pulse and a racecar, I'm pretty excited at the thought of a new place to go race at. And that got me thinking along these lines.

If you could build a racetrack, and terrain/money/space wasn't an issue, what elements would you incorporate?

I don't have an entire fantasy track (yet!) but I do have some elements that I'd love to have.
From VIR - the uphill esses....with a twist. Instead of being straight uphill, how about that style of backforthbackforth while going over some undulating hills? Capped off with a blind, top of the hill diving turn back down, pretty much like VIR has now, maybe even more intense. Done correctly that could be a blast! :023:

A good carousel, like the one at Road America. What a great feeling when the car gets twitchy and squirrely through there, and the sane part of your brain's saying, "OK, maybe this time you really should lift!" You don't, you survive once more, and you emerge grinning from ear to ear.

A diving, twisting downhill, like the one at Laguna Seca (or whatever the heck they call it now!) One that drops out from under you like a cliffs' edge.

An interesting section of technical turns, each one leading to a more complex one, until they finally blast you out onto a straightaway. Take Moroso's first series of turns, but make them increasingly complex.

A section that looks like you should be lifting, or turning, but actually has a high speed line right through it (from Nelson Ledges back straight)

And of course, I'd make the track some ungodly length, just to make it even more difficult to get right away. Like, oh, 5 or 6 miles. :rolleyes:

So, what would YOU do?

lateapex911
03-10-2006, 01:20 PM
I'd make it RACE well.

Some are great drivers track, but bad racing tracks.

Lime Rock, for example has enough areas that can be driven slightly off line where it won't kill your time, which them become gtreat passing places, like the long trail braking entrance to big bend. And having a turn opposite that turn after it means that you can sometimes hang on the outside, but be inside for the following corner. That makes for great racing.

Tricky turns with some options for getting it " right" in front of looong straights are key to.

gsbaker
03-10-2006, 03:27 PM
The perfect track would have the elevation changes of Road Atlanta, the braking zones of Road America and the restaurants of Monaco. :)

planet6racing
03-10-2006, 04:15 PM
The perfect track, to me, would be one that was open 24 hours, always had my car ready, and didn't charge me to run. There would be no neighbors within 1/2 mile and then, the only subdivsion within 2 miles would have all deaf people living in it. Heck, they'd even pay me so that I didn't have to do anything else...

Oh, I think you meant track layout... :birra:

StephF
03-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Your TRACK LAYOUT dreams Bill, not your daydreams!
And I don't want to know about having the Hooters girls for your pit crew either.... :018:

Peter Olivola
03-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Exactly replicate Bridgehampton.

pfcs
03-10-2006, 11:38 PM
[/b]
and put it in northern NJ. YES! YES! YES! Bridgehampton was perfect just the way it was. If you don't fully appreciate that, then your soul is dead. I've been to great tracks all over the US and the Bridge was the best. I still get emotional when I think about it.

Chris Wire
03-11-2006, 01:08 AM
Spa.........

... but located somewhere in the Southeast.

(Florida is out for lack of hillage, but I'm okay with Georgia and the Carolinas)

I honestly can't think of anything about Spa that I would change dramatically. Maybe a radius here, or a braking zone there, but on measure, it's my favorite track in the world. (Anyone up for an IT.com team effort for the next 24 hour race there?) :happy204: :happy204: :happy204:

:eclipsee_steering: :eclipsee_steering:

:smilie_pokal:

:birra:

Knestis
03-11-2006, 01:07 PM
It would look a lot like VIR.

K

Bill Miller
03-11-2006, 01:24 PM
[/b]

Peter,

That's one of the few things that we have ever agreed on. The only thing Bridgehampton was missing, to make it a truly great track, was a proper set of esses, Never drive VIR, but I've heard nothing but good things about it, and Kirk's probaby on to something.

BTW, anybody that was able to go flat-footed down the hill at Bridgehampton, knows what it's all about! :D And Turn 9 (end of the back straight) was a hoot too!! Never had any data aq. but I was told that it was actuall faster than going down the hill. I still remember the first time I ever drove on that track in anger. Damn that was great!!!!

JLawton
03-11-2006, 07:34 PM
[/b]

Including the pot holes and crumbling pavement?? :lol:

Peter Olivola
03-11-2006, 08:36 PM
No worse than I ever found at Thompson or Nelson Ledges or the original Bryar or Mosport, but the course layout remains in a league all its own and my all time favorite.

Including the pot holes and crumbling pavement?? :lol:
[/b]

moto62
03-12-2006, 02:06 AM
The perfect road course would have my 'zip code' in the middle of it. :eclipsee_steering:

lateapex911
03-12-2006, 01:01 PM
The perfect road course would have my 'zip code' in the middle of it. :eclipsee_steering:
[/b]

Ha! You think Lime Rock is expensive??? You live in one of the top 5 most affluent conties in the country...you think a racetrack in Fairfield County would be affordable in ANY way? LOL...

(Lime Rock, two day rental, in season: $44,000 or so.
Willow Springs two day rental, in season, $14, 000 or so)

I think any track that I can get to in an hour and a half is a Godsend, and if it is raceable, wide where it has to be and has some terrain changes, with direction changes at the same spot that the terrain changes, (like Road Atlanta or Watkins Glen) then all the better.

It would be cool as a excersise, to "replicate" some of the great corners of the word, such as they do on golf courses. Of course, it's even harder to do on a race track where the corners have to connect and make sense.

In the end, if it utilizes the natural terrain, and is technical but raceable, I will love driving it.

planet6racing
03-13-2006, 09:44 AM
[/b]

Just from them mowing it into the track, or do you want them to sculpt it out of marble? Heck, come to Road America and I'll make that happen for you!!! :D :D :birra: :P

almracing
03-13-2006, 10:04 AM
I have to say the track in Dubai (from the F1 race this past weekend) is a great layout. The haul there would suck... :(

Wreckerboy
03-13-2006, 10:41 AM
+1 for Bridgehampton, but landscape and pave it like VIR.

944-spec#94
03-14-2006, 04:59 PM
My ideal track - for racing purposes

Length... 2 to 3 miles.

One longish straight of maybe 1/3 to 1/2 mile depend on the corners preceding it. Top speed in my car of maybe 5600 RPM in 5th so maybe 125 mph or so.

At least 1 2nd tight corner and at least 1 4th gear 85 to 90 mph corner of at least 45 degrees ( a 100 mph chicane does not cut it. ) The rest of the corners are 3rd gear maybe 65 to 75 mph entry speeds.

Hmm maybe at most 1 or two "isolated corners" with at least one section with flowing corners. Put one of the 2-3 overtake zones after that flowing section to reward those you can get through there will a passing opprotunity.

Oh yeah... elevation changes too.

So I guess like this.

S/F on longest straight. Ending in a slow corner braking/overtake zone #1. Follow that up with a series of 3rd gear isolated corners with elevation change leading into a moderate to short straight and an overtaking zone #2. Follow this with a flowing section (with direction change esses & chicanes, maybe 4-5 side to side loadings) with a a bit more elevation change and another smallish straight in to an ovetake zone #3. Then move into two moderate straights linked by a fast 4th gear corner. Brake zone in to overtake zone #4 leading to the longish S/F straight.

Then put it with in 90 min tow from Home and make it open year round and give the option of running it backwards.

RSTPerformance
03-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Make a replica of Bryar Motorsports Park!!! Sometimes I miss those old days, and I wasn't even old enough to drive :rolleyes:

I think it would be cool to make it so you can run both directions... What tracks still can be set up to run both directions besides maybe Pocono???

Raymond

Bill Miller
03-14-2006, 06:15 PM
EMRA ran Bridgehampton backwards! What a hoot!!!

Eagle7
03-14-2006, 10:24 PM
I think any track that I can get to in an hour and a half is a Godsend, and if it is raceable, wide where it has to be and has some terrain changes, with direction changes at the same spot that the terrain changes, ...

In the end, if it utilizes the natural terrain, and is technical but raceable, I will love driving it.
[/b]
You just described Grattan to a T. Five minutes from my house - I can hear it from my yard. Downhill off-camber corner - lots of head-scratching for newcomers
The "jump", where open wheel cars pull air When you "land" the jump at 90 MPH, you're right on top of the esses The back "straight" with a kink at the top of a rise that'll give you some wheelspin The 160* hairpin with enough downhill falloff that you can't see the apex until way after you've turned in
Leading to the uphill where you've got to turn in almost before you can see that there's a corner - then the suspension totally unloads at the apex. If you found the right line there's a trough that'll catch you and totally compress the suspension. If you didn't ...

gsbaker
03-14-2006, 10:50 PM
(Sorry about the OT.)

Marty,

I'm going to be in GR in September (I think). Any racing going on then at Grattan?

Eagle7
03-14-2006, 11:55 PM
I'm going to be in GR in September (I think). Any racing going on then at Grattan?
[/b]
If you get here early. Labor Day weekend.

zracre
03-15-2006, 12:22 AM
My fantasy track would be in my yard...

Doc Bro
03-15-2006, 08:52 AM
I like a track that has a low speed 2nd gear turn. It bunches things up, provides a neutralization of torque and brakes amongst the field, and provides a good place to watch action.

I would also like a porter in the boys room just like at those high rent tracks I've heard about.

(Why a guy would want to sit in a restroom all day is beyond me..........it's just begging for one of those Bud Light "Real Men of Genius" songs. I can hear it now.....mister bath-room colo-gne pur-vey-or......) :035:

R

joeg
03-15-2006, 10:10 AM
I don't think you want a fantasy track. Just a track that is long enough to accomadate huge groups (min. 2.75 miles), can run on Sunday and is geographically well sited for your region.

The lay of the land and budget will dictate the actual layout and I would think you would want to try and preserve any topography you may have to start with.

Nelson Ledges is my favorite track and is the fastest 2 mile track around.

Despr8dave
03-15-2006, 11:01 AM
I love long sweeping turns, "s's", hairpins, just one, different elevations and one hell of a looooong straight away.

David

Bill Miller
03-15-2006, 11:06 AM
I love long sweeping turns, "s's", hairpins, just one, different elevations and one hell of a looooong straight away.

David
[/b]

Sounds like Summit Point.

zracre
03-15-2006, 12:29 PM
I guess my fantasy track would be Sebring long with hills!

charrbq
03-15-2006, 01:25 PM
My fantasy track would be Nuburgring, the original, except a little closer to home. And each race would be a minimum of 20 laps. :birra:

JamesB
03-15-2006, 01:45 PM
So basically a 2+ hour enduro every race depending on the class?

charrbq
03-15-2006, 02:07 PM
So basically a 2+ hour enduro every race depending on the class?
[/b]
Yep B)

bhudson
03-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Over 2, but under 3 miles long; LOTS of smooth runoff room with nothing to hit; escape roads at the end of straights instead of gravel traps; corner stations located where the flags are easy to see; enough elevation change to make if fun, but not so much that it's a chore; at least three locations where you can set up a pass; and at least one multiple turn section that rewards the more skillful drivers. A bonus is if the layout could be reasonably run in either direction, making it a two-for-one track.

Locate it in an area that has a reasonable chance of staying rural and free of McMansion development for at least another 20 years. And no "Quiet Time" ordinances.

Bob Hudson, Atlanta Region
Wishing Road Atlanta was still surrounded by stinky chicken farms instead of new houses.

evanwebb
03-16-2006, 01:09 PM
Seriously, anyone who has been to VIR must have it as very nearly their ideal racetrack. If you haven't been, well, you need to go and see for yourself. It is magnificent.

mom'sZ
03-16-2006, 05:56 PM
I think it would be cool to make it so you can run both directions... What tracks still can be set up to run both directions besides maybe Pocono???
[/b]
Moroso here in Florida runs the cars in one direction and the motorcycles in the other. Reason being that if you wipe out going one way, you hit a wall, going the other way, you go in a small pond. Car guys would rather hit the wall, bike guys would rather take a swim.

benracin
03-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Put a track anywhere less than 7 hours from Minneapolis and I'll call it my favorite track. Anyone want to help me buy Brainerd so I have a place to play 2 hours away!

I think I would take Road America, add in a series of esses, and 2nd gear corner made for passing, AND, here's the topper, a city section. Can be fake buildings or whatever. Just think it would be fun to add some scary walls and a little bit of Monoco. Is it alright to put nice ladies hanging out of the fake buildings? :happy204:

Never been to VIR :(