PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressures...

StephenB
03-08-2006, 03:33 PM
I've always been curious to see how much the tire pressures change in the turns, ect. Has anybody ever used these and seen a real difference in pressure while at race speed and then back onto pit lane after a cool down lap? I'm not really thinking of purchasing I am just curious if anyone has real data to cure my curiosity!

http://www.intercompracing.com/detail.cfm?ItemID=272

joeg
03-08-2006, 04:44 PM
No experience with monitors, but I have some experience with the pressure relief types on oval tracks.

I would guess that unless you had telemetry to the pits (where it could be monitored) or the ability to record, you would be hard pressed to note changes while driving and not become dangerously distracted. It would also be rather expensive to have a couple of sets of tires set up with those puppies.

They are good for detecting tires going flat, I am informed.

Others should chime in.

MMiskoe
03-13-2006, 10:06 PM
We bought a new car last fall & it has tire pressure monitors on it. Fun in that you can watch the pressures come up as you get going on the highway. Haven't really studied it for how much change you get at different ambient temps (its Kathy's car so I don't drive it much). They aren't terribly accurate, set all 4 to the same pressure w/ a good gauge then roll it across the driveway so it will display the pressures & there will be 2 the same, one a pound high & one a pound low. Give it a few years & you might be able to get the sensors at the junkyard, then figure out how to interpert the signal w/ a simple meter.

I know they make remote read out IR pyrometers so you could mount the display in the car while aiming the sensor at most anything you wanted to check on while driving. I think you will find the bike racers at Daytona use them to monitor several different sections of tire at once so they can see how the edges heat up differently than the centers.

JohnRW
03-14-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm thinking 'trailer tires'. How close do the external sensors have to be from the tires themselves, and is this stuff amenable to long wire runs ?

e36its
03-15-2006, 11:08 AM
John, what did we name the giant trailer tire bubble at Summit... IIRC it was Yolanda?

TireRack has a system designed for trailers. Looks like the sensors can be mounted 35 ft away from the display.
SmarTire Pressure Monitors (http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/smartire/smartire_all.jsp)

tom

JohnRW
03-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Yup...that was 'Yolanda', swelling her little head at the 12 Hour. I think she blew before anyone thought to take a picture. Funny thing is, the tire continued to hold air. Weird slow leak between the carcass and the outer layer of the tire. I think I was doing a shift when it kersploded.

35 ft...gotta get out the tape measure...could be on the edge of that. Crew cab + 8' bed + 24ft. trailer with the axles too far back = borderline (don't ever ask me the tongue weight...you'd run away screaming).

lateapex911
03-16-2006, 03:03 PM
That tire pressure monitor for the trailer is a neat setup!

Does 20 tires! (If you buy 16 more sensors)

I can see how it could be very useful...so many trailer tires blow, and always at the worst location. Having a heads up on a possible problem would allow you to top it up with air, or pull over early and do a preventative change.

Still, it's pricey.

m glassburner
03-16-2006, 03:14 PM
How much is that trailer set up ??? Where did you see it at ?? thanx... B)

lateapex911
03-16-2006, 03:19 PM
How much is that trailer set up ??? Where did you see it at ?? thanx... B)
[/b]The trailer setup is $249, and includes the sensors, and the delux readout, which is way better than the standard. It's wirelss, and checks temp and pressure data every 7 seconds. It updates every few minutes. Distance from the dashboard to the rear tire needs to be within the 35 foot range.

Tirerack sells it, as do other vendors.

The website is smartire.com, or link from tire rack.

stevel
03-16-2006, 06:21 PM
It's wirelss, and checks temp and pressure data every 7 seconds.
[/b]

wireless? No way? ;)

s

lateapex911
03-16-2006, 07:08 PM
As opposed to having a receiver on the trailer and wiring from there, smart guy... ;)

MMiskoe
03-22-2006, 01:49 PM
There will be more of these around soon. Read in a recent wall street journal that monitors will be required on all cars under 10k pounds by '08.

JamesB
03-22-2006, 02:01 PM
All 2008 models and up. current drivers will not have to retrofit to pass inspection at this time.