PDA

View Full Version : How to archive PM file?

lateapex911
03-08-2006, 02:03 PM
This is probably equally appropriate in the "support" section, but maybe some brainiacs on the site know...

My inbox is full...again....and there are PMs I need to keep. Short of cutting and pasting to a word file or something, how can I save these?

I have tried both options in the "archive" selection, and I get an email that says "This is a MIME encoded message" and then says in the header that the filename is a "xls_importable.txt" and then has in the body of the email abunch of "IkLLOsspofsdHHEaskAQS9sJ" and so on.

What am I doing wrong?

JamesB
03-08-2006, 02:15 PM
xls imporatble means importable into Excell spreadsheets.

I can try that myself and see what happens and give you a guide to what you can try to delete out of the file.

Ok you have the TXT file, save it to your hard drive (desktop, my documents). Open up excel to a new spreadsheet. click on Data, Import and its a comma diliniated file. Then when your done you should have 4 colums. Right click on the top of colum D, go to the format tab, and check off wrap text.

There is some UBB code to delete from the D collom but its readable.

lateapex911
03-08-2006, 02:35 PM
OK, let me make sure I understand...the email I got had no attached file, the gobbitily goook was in the body. So I am supposed to highlight, right click and "copy" that?
Then I need to get Excel...hmmm ok, gotta work on THAT part, LOL.

I also got the other option which sent a similar looking meassage with the header "pm_archive.html"

Would that be workable as I don't have Excel yet?

JamesB
03-08-2006, 02:37 PM
The html would work too. I got mine as an attachment. It could be that your e-mail program is trying to read the mime type of the attachment in the body of the e-mail. The html version should work just fine too. I dont use this brand of forum personally, so I been on the same learning curve. If was VB or phpBB I would know it by heart.

gran racing
03-08-2006, 03:01 PM
About freakn' time you cleaned that out! :happy204: I too was able to archive and receive the file.

This is almost as big of an event as Raymond and Stephen getting seperate avitars. :035: Well maybe not that big...

Bill Miller
03-29-2006, 01:34 PM
I can't get this to work either. I use Yahoo mail, and both the Excel file and the html file come over as a slew of garbled inline text.

JamesB
03-29-2006, 02:26 PM
my gmail and unix account work fine. Must be something with yahoo trying to use the attachment as an inline mime type.