PDA

View Full Version : water for ballast

latebrake
02-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Seen someting on Speed TV over the weekend. Water for ballast. Some kind of blader that will flex to -30 dergees and bolts to the floor,comes in different sizes too. Legal in IT? Makes sense,water is heavy. Add some or take some out. Has bolt pattern to keep it from moving around.

Lawrence

ShelbyRacer
02-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Hmm, not sure why you'd want to, unless it's "smart" water that moves to the opposite side of weight transfer...

Mobile ballast is normally a bad thing. Guys who fly cargo planes and drive trucks will tell you that NOTHING good every came out of a load shift.

For those familiar with large trucks- When I drove for a local Fire Company and Ambulance, I had tou go pass my EVOC (EV Operations Course) in order to comply with our insurance. I was still in my hazing period (which mysteriously lasted the entire time I was there), so some of the old guys decided to have some "fun" with me. When it came time for me to do my manuverability test, they conveniently only had one piece available- the 1800 gal. UNBAFFLED tanker, which just so happened to only be about 2/3 full at the time... I have NEVER had so much fun doing a slalom (while being scared to death at the same time), and I'm told that the "panic" stop test was pretty damn funny to watch...

Sorry for the hijack, but thinking of that always brings a smile. Gives new meaning to "I wanna race the TRUCK".

gsbaker
02-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Hmm, not sure why you'd want to, unless it's "smart" water that moves to the opposite side of weight transfer...
[/b]
The sailing ships of Windstar Cruises use smart water. Well, the water is pretty dumb, but the computer that runs the hydraulics is pretty smart. The list is limited to two degrees.

latebrake
02-28-2006, 06:25 PM
no, it aint like that,it has bolting points in some kind of grid to keep in the same place. Just sounded like a cheap and easy way to add or remove the wieght. Lead is not cheap and steel can break free and be a real problem. Inside the car can be bad for you and under the car (legal?) can be bad for everyone else. Lead and steel dont just come lose,but in a crash it can be torn lose. Bad situation made worse. You can lube a floor pan and pour it in lead and then bolt strips of steel through the pan. That wont come lose but its a pain to do.
Lawrence

Knestis
02-28-2006, 11:49 PM
A short track stock car guy in Washington crashed his car and, when the emergency crews arrived they were suprised to see silver beads on the pavement.

Mercury.

He'd put a large amount in sealed frame rails so that as he accelerated, mass shifted toward the rear tires. As he got on the brakes, it shifted forward.

Can you say "Superfund clean-up site?"

K

tom91ita
03-01-2006, 12:16 AM
i need ~170 #'s of ballast in my car.

steel weighs ~500 #'s per cubic foot and water weighs ~ 62 #'s per cubic foot or 8.34 #'s per gallon.

so if i could have it in a single block, it would be about 12" by 12" by 4" high for the steel. or about 12" by 12" by 3 feet high for a container of water. or if put in smaller containers, i don't want to have about 20 gallons of water in the car.

Joe Harlan
03-01-2006, 12:19 AM
A short track stock car guy in Washington crashed his car and, when the emergency crews arrived they were suprised to see silver beads on the pavement.

Mercury.

He'd put a large amount in sealed frame rails so that as he accelerated, mass shifted toward the rear tires. As he got on the brakes, it shifted forward.

Can you say "Superfund clean-up site?"

K
[/b]
hehe, I remember that....

ddewhurst
03-01-2006, 10:55 AM
As long as were on a path of clever stuff (the water ain't clever) in racing try this one on. Dick Trickle many years ago built into an ASA car single jack point. Lets say 6 guys over the wall. One jack man, 4 tire changers & one gas man. Hmmm, needless to say the rule changed :024: before the next race.

planet6racing
03-06-2006, 07:19 PM
But, wasn't Mr. Trickly also known for having an ashtray and cupholder in his cup cars so that he could have a beer and a smoke during cautions? :birra: :P

ddewhurst
03-06-2006, 08:08 PM
Bill, pre your time at the track in the good ol days of USAC there were several drivers who had cigarette lighters in there cars for under yellow. There was one guy who has passed (several time USAC Champ) who had a pocket for a bottle of his ulcer medicine.

anrkii
03-17-2006, 10:05 PM
speaking of water as ballast, if i have a spare tire in there, is it legal to fill it with water?

need extra weight, you know.

joeg
03-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Just leave it out in the rain deflated.

Or, you can fit up one of those solid tractor tires for a spare.

Or, JUST GO EAT SOME BIG MACS!!!

charrbq
03-19-2006, 10:39 PM
While water might get the job done for ballast, it would take up an enormous amount of room. Plus, the bladder to hold it would be enormously expensive. If it wasn't stong enough to withstand impact, or simply remain in position throughout a racing event, it could make for a helluva enema! No doubt the slick flag would be displayed for several laps. Think of the comments..."I was leading when my water broke!"; " :lol: The only way I could pass weight was with a full bladder!"