PDA

View Full Version : WHICH 240SX

latebrake
02-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Well as I posted here the other week I sold my prod car. I know better but!!! I want something to play with again. I was considering a 240. I dont know anything about these cars other than it will cost me less to play with than the Porsche did,I hope. I have been told the engines will crap out???? Which ones are the ones to avoid? I want to drive it on the street as well. SOC or DOC 89 the year to have? What the about the SB in the rear of the car or you cant drive the thing. Which trans and which one can I get the most junk yard engines for? Things like that. I have always liked the body style but worried about the drive line. Will the 240sx run with the 944S in ITS? Just in case I go that far. <_<

Lawrence

rob22
03-01-2006, 09:05 AM
A 240 sx can be a good choice for either ITA (sohc) or ITS (Dohc). Probably the most successful was Bob
Stretch in his ITA version, arguably the quickest ITA to date. Both Chris Newberry&#39;s and our ITS 240&#39;s have
a number of top five&#39;s in the S.E. We have a best of 2nd on the short course at Sebring, 3rd at Daytona and
and a couple 3rd&#39;s at moroso a couple of years ago, and other top fives and tens at Sebring long and short.

Our motor, built by Mike Covello of Crane Cams, is now 3 years old and still runs well. I don&#39;t know how many hours are on it, but it is a bunch. I am not aware of 944&#39;s that have performed better in the S.E.

With more folks running them and sharing info they could be more competitive still.

Hope this helps

"Bosco" Logsdon

slickS14
03-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Mine is still for sale however it is strictly a racecar. Thought it was sold but you know how that goes.... Anyways, a properly built engine will not "crap out on you". They are very reliable and low maintenance. All of the internals are forged peices from the factory and very strong. There is a ton of information about these cars on the web...The basics are 1989 thru 1994 the chassis code is S13 and 1995 thru 1998 is S14. Use those designations when you are searching.... Or just buy my S14 and be done with it..;)

latebrake
03-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Mine is still for sale however it is strictly a racecar. Thought it was sold but you know how that goes.... Anyways, a properly built engine will not "crap out on you". They are very reliable and low maintenance. All of the internals are forged peices from the factory and very strong. There is a ton of information about these cars on the web...The basics are 1989 thru 1994 the chassis code is S13 and 1995 thru 1998 is S14. Use those designations when you are searching.... Or just buy my S14 and be done with it..;)
[/b]

you got mail

DavidM
03-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Think somebody asked about this a while back so you may want to do a search. You could build a dual purpose car, but you wouldn&#39;t be very competitve on the track. I think your biggest sacrifice would be in the suspension. A suspension that would work on the street is not going to cut it on track. Spherical bearings are pretty much a necessity to get the most out of the rear of the car. The good thing is they&#39;re not hard to find for these cars.

I have Stretch&#39;s old car and have had no reliability issues with it. I need a new wiring harness, but that&#39;s what happens with a 16 year old car. I&#39;ve had to do all 4 wheel bearings, but don&#39;t expect to need to do that again for another couple years. I&#39;ve pretty much changed the oil regularly and that&#39;s been about it.

If being up front isn&#39;t that big a deal, then you could build a track ready car pretty easily. There&#39;s tons of information out there on the web. Do a search and you&#39;ll spend days reading. The first thing you&#39;d have to do is figure out if you want to be in ITA or ITS. That would determine the year of car to look at.

David