PDA

View Full Version : Hallett ?????

ssc25
02-27-2006, 09:58 PM
I am going to be running Hallett in April. I have never been there before, so i need to know the good and the bad. Is the track fun? Where is the best place to stay? Where is the best place to eat/drink? Is it worth going? Any info would be great. Thanks!

jhooten
02-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Did one of my schools there. It is a very good track to drive. Elevation changes, fast sweepers, slow tight turns, it has something for everyone to enjoy. I stayed at the track so I can't help with the local hotels. The Food at the track is good for track food. The facilities at the track are kept clean and well maintained and I never had to go hunt for TP.

I would go more often but it is a long tow from here.

AntonioGG
02-28-2006, 09:23 AM
It's worth the 9hr tow for me (same as Jerry's). The track is great.

I go there once a year but I may go twice a year now that SM is a national class and it'll be worth towing for the July race.

Cleveland, OK is the best place to stay IMHO. I forget the name of the hotel but it's near a lake. There are several hotels, all pretty small and mostly very old but decent.

There's a good steakhouse southest of the track. It's in a town called something-Lake (sorry but my memory fails me). That's pretty good food. The pizza joint in Cleveland is not bad (seems like a local chain). The bkfst at the track is great.

Gary L
02-28-2006, 10:50 AM
I am going to be running Hallett in April. I have never been there before, so i need to know the good and the bad. Is the track fun? Where is the best place to stay? Where is the best place to eat/drink? Is it worth going? Any info would be great. Thanks! [/b] Here's a link to the Hallett MRC website: http://www.hallettracing.net/

Lot's of good info, including decent video of a lap at speed in both directions, CW and CCW. (You'll be running CCW with SCCA.)

If you click on "Newsletters" and open one of the "COMMA Comments" PDF files, the Hallett service directory for eating, sleeping, fueling, etc., is usually the next to last page of the file.

Despr8dave
02-28-2006, 08:25 PM
[attachmentid=310]Every track I have driven I enjoy, but Hallet was the most fun for me. I had never driven different elevations before. We ran clockwise, the track is set up for both directions. Finding a place to stay may be a little tuff. I stayed at a "mom and pop's" hotel about 30 miles away, I wouldn't recommend it! If you have Nextel you might as well leave your phone at home, but that was nearly three years ago, so things may have improved.
The folks who run the facility are awesome too, great people and very friendly. I ran under COMMA and there were not many corner workers and only one car inspector, so I hope SCCA provides more workers.
I'm giving serious consideration of moving to Oklahoma and Hallett is one of the positive reasons. I'm going back out there in June to scope things out. Hope you have nearly as much fun as I did. If you go clockwise, that last turn is a blast, actually they all are!!!

OTLimit
03-01-2006, 01:50 PM
I can honestly say that Chris' favorite Midwest division track is Hallett. Too bad it takes us forever to get there (just kidding; it only seems that way because I-44 is such a joke--it's about 7-8hrs from St Louis).

Sand Springs is west of Tulsa and about 30min east of the track, but has several chain hotels with lots of food. Stillwater is a little further then that to the west of the track. Cleveland, Jennings, and Oilton all have (or had) hotels. All mom & pop places that range from gross to barely acceptable+overpriced. The last time we stayed at the Victorian Inn in Cleveland is was over $60/night and I wasn't impressed. I'd rather sleep in the trailer.

Track food is good and they have pretty decent variety for reasonable prices.

Bring bug spray. :rolleyes:

ssc25
03-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all the replys. I will be there in april. :birra:

ITANorm
03-03-2006, 12:47 PM
I'll put in one more vote for "most fun track to drive". The only decent place to eat, close in, is at the track. The upside of that is that the cafe there is among the best in the country for "track food". I've stayed at most of the dumps that are fairly close - Sand Springs is definitely the ticket for lodging, despite the drive. (Sleeping accomodations are crappy, or not close, at ALL the MiDiv tracks - that's why we started bringing them with us!)

OTLimit
03-03-2006, 08:19 PM
(Sleeping accomodations are crappy, or not close, at ALL the MiDiv tracks - that's why we started bringing them with us!)
[/b]

But getting better. There is a new hotel right around the corner (literally) from the SCCA headquarters building. By far the closest and newest to any Midiv track. But I bet it's booked continually for race weekends, and not cheap.

ssc25
03-03-2006, 10:24 PM
About how long a drive, time wise, would it be into Tulsa from the racetrack?

ITANorm
03-06-2006, 05:04 PM
About how long a drive, time wise, would it be into Tulsa from the racetrack?
[/b]

Sand Springs is ~30 minutes; Tulsa is another 10 to 20, depending on which area (Broken Arrow is not quite an hour). It'll also cost you about a buck for the toll road, if you go the quick way.

fiat124girl
03-13-2006, 06:46 PM
The Boomtown in in Drumright, OK is quite nice. It is about 15 minutes away and there is stuff to eat there. If you can get to Freddies in Manfred, OK they have great steaks.

Hallet is the coolest track in the Midwest and we can't wait to get there in April.

anrkii
03-14-2006, 03:02 AM
hey, is there camping on-site ?

Gary L
03-14-2006, 10:29 AM
hey, is there camping on-site ? [/b]

Yes... camping is allowed at Hallett. There are "quiet hours" restrictions, stiff fines for holes/stakes in asphalt, etc.

AntonioGG
03-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Yes... camping is allowed at Hallett. There are "quiet hours" restrictions, stiff fines for holes/stakes in asphalt, etc.
[/b]

And you'll be awaken by a chicken song played over the loudspeakers at 7am. LOL! :035:

Don't park under the poles with the speakers! :D