PDA

View Full Version : 5 series as a race car?

dweymer
02-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Hi all , new here, and to BMWs and still figuring out the e30, e36 etc out. Anybody got a good link to the model evolution/naming. Also, I glanced through the GCRs and did not see any 5 series classed, anyone race them, why/why not?

Thanks for listening, I learn fast so I'll try not to embarass myself :cavallo:

mlytle
02-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Hi all , new here, and to BMWs and still figuring out the e30, e36 etc out. Anybody got a good link to the model evolution/naming. Also, I glanced through the GCRs and did not see any 5 series classed, anyone race them, why/why not?

[/b]

are you a member of bmwcca? if not, start by joining. www.bmwcca.org. if so, there is an "e" code list in the back of every roundel magazine right before the classifieds. "e" codes are a factory designation to denote the body style. e21, e30, e36, e46, e90 are the different generations of 3 series bmw's.

5 series are not popular race cars because they are big and heavy. don't really fit the "race car" perception. there is also a problem with lack of go-fast parts suppliers. you will find a few 5 series that are raced in bmwcca club racing, but they are few and far between. there have definitely been some 5 series cars successfuly raced in the past, but there are a plethora of 3 series around, 3's have big aftermarket support and 3's are darn fun to race, why would you race a 5'er...

marshall
had 2002's, 3's, 5's and a 7...but only raced 3's.

dweymer
02-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Access to one was what prompted the question, I figured that was the response. Thanks for a straightfoward answer.

dj10
02-27-2006, 04:59 PM
[/b]

Donnie,
The only dumb questions are the questions NOT asked.
In SCCA you could only run ITE (IT Everything), which could be be very expensive and with not to many cars for competition.
Don't tell Dave Donahue that a 5 series isn't fast and are heavy, he won the IMSA Supercar championship in one. Just remember the higher hp you are trying to build the more money you will spend. If you want a BMW pick a class in which you can afford, get the car and go have fun.

lateapex911
02-28-2006, 11:45 PM
And since you mentioned availability...

Most cars...even if you get the donor chassis free, will cost more to build than if you find a used, built car with a logbook.

Of course, we all ignore our own advice and build anyway, but, for the first car, getting an up and running race car with a logbook, setup sheets and history gets you actually racing faster and cheaper than any other method.

Welcome to the madness!

BMWs make great racecars, but don't eliminate all others without looking at the big picture first. The actual race car itself is the cheap part of the racing equation. The trailer, the tow vehicle, the spares, the consumables, the travel budget all add up to a much bigger pile of cash than most race cars represent.

ilateapex
03-01-2006, 09:13 PM
I have a 635 race car which is basically the 2 door 535 ('85 - '90 or so). I have raced it in BMWCR and it would fit nice in NASA. It definitally is a fun car to learn in. I now race a E30 325 and I think that my time in the big 6 was very worth while in my learning. The 6 is for sale cheap in anyone interested.

Michael

djtobin
03-14-2006, 02:09 PM
michael,

what sort of details can you give me on your 6 series car?

i've currently got a 2002 in the works, but buying someone's used race car makes sooo much more sense.

do you have any pics you could email or details about the car?

thanks.

Dave

ilateapex
03-14-2006, 10:59 PM
I have yet to post on IT.com but it is posted at bmwccaclubracing.com. Look way down the page. The price has gone way down.

email me at mwosborne (at) isp.com

Michael