PDA

View Full Version : Something worth reading...

RSTPerformance
02-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Ok,the winter and this forum seems to be messing with my head... and I don't like it :mad1:

We are all involved in Improved Touring for some reason or another, I want some sort of positive response from every member of this forum... Lets get back on track, remember this is fun, and show some reasons why the newbies should come play with us rather than some other series out their!!! :happy204:

I love the Improved Touring series because... ( :023: insert answers here :023: ) !!!

Raymond "I can't wait till we are all back on track" Blethen

lateapex911
02-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Ok,the winter and this forum seems to be messing with my head... and I don't like it :mad1:

We are all involved in Improved Touring for some reason or another, I want some sort of positive response from every member of this forum... Lets get back on track, remember this is fun, and show some reasons why the newbies should come play with us rather than some other series out their!!! :happy204:
I love the Improved Touring series because... ( :023: insert answers here :023: ) !!!
Raymond "I can't wait till we are all back on track" Blethen
[/b]

I love IT because I can have a beer with the Blethen Brothers, and watch them call each other names!

I love IT because there is some serious talent AND there are lots of other levels too.

I love IT because i don't have to go buy a $30K car then wreck it racing Touring.

I love IT because I don't have to turn my own cranks from billet like the Prod guys do, ora host of other "must dos"....

I love IT because when I wreck it, I get another chassis for a few hundred, and then start "improving".

That sums it up.

Great people
Great racing at any level
And reasonable expenditures...but it's still REAL racing, not 13/13 stuff.

RacerBill
02-27-2006, 12:08 AM
I love IT because:

I took a $500 Shelby Charger and after taking just about every living bolt off it, and putting them back on, I can fulfill a lifelong dream.

At my first race, I had not even gotten the car off the trailer when other drivers came over to help.

I love IT because:

I took a $500 Shelby Charger and after taking just about every living bolt off it, and putting them back on, I can fulfill a lifelong dream.

At my first race, I had not even gotten the car off the trailer when other drivers came over to help.

JeffYoung
02-27-2006, 12:18 AM
Because its not Spec Miata?

Knestis
02-27-2006, 09:00 AM
Because, with rare exceptions, the people involved are wonderful. And we can laugh together about the rare exceptions. :)

K

zracre
02-27-2006, 09:26 AM
I love IT because of all the people involved.

I love IT because they have parties with lots of beer afterwards.

I love IT because I can build an Integra and spank out a divisional championship

I love IT because it is racing on most any cool track in the USA...even in rain!

I love IT because of the high I get for a week after a good weekend.

All that love can also be directed at the SCCA for being there.

Cheers all!

ddewhurst
02-27-2006, 10:09 AM
***Because its not Spec Miata?***

Jeff TR8, that's kind of tacky.

Being that I have an ITA car & a Spec Miata I continue to enjoy the people (you also Jake) from this site. The open sharing of a lot (?) of information is great for EVERYONE including folks who may have interest in getting involved DEEPER.

Did I say it's a people thing. :023:

dickita15
02-27-2006, 10:51 AM
I love IT racing because it is real and it is hard.

My first race after driver’s school I had a great 3 way dice for 17th place for most of the race. I came out 18th. It was great! Though my effort has budget limits and talent limits wheel-to-wheel racing is the best. In six years of racing I have never been in a race with less than 20 cars in class. My best finish to date is a 7th. Each weekend involves trying to get better than I was at the last one, as well as usually some great racing. The cars in IT have different strong points and chasing someone with the same lap times and trying to figure out how to pass and make it stick is awesome.

I work closely with two other guys that run the same kind of cars. We help each other and root each other on. Even if I am not racing on a given weekend I help those guys out.
Over the years I have learned to maintain and improve my primitive car. The chassis is kind of rough and the car is heavy (of course so is the driver) so I have a spare chassis on a rotisserie because I have always wanted to build one ground up.

I was involved in SCCA for many years before I finally went to driver’s school, so I have always know the people were cool. Members are my best friends.

Even the biggest jackass that posts on this site, I have had a pleasant evening with sharing a couple of beers around a fire at the track.

924Guy
02-27-2006, 11:30 AM
I love IT because, in spite of so much seen on this site, when we get to the track, as they say: "When the green flag drops, the BS stops!" After all the chitchat, it's about nothing less than going out with your buddies, playing hard, and bringing it back in one piece knowing you and they did everything possible to beat the other guy, and will gladly do it again tomorrow, but tonight we share beer and swap lies about how much faster we were! :023:

StephF
02-27-2006, 01:53 PM
Ditto to all that and then some.
The first time I got to go ontrack at speed, racing against other people, I came in with an ear-to-ear, poop eating grin.
It's a BLAST!
And I mean howl-like-a-demented monkey kind of fun!
All those years of watching other people race, the ones who were oh-so-serious about it, and the one thing they never bothered to mention to me is that it's
Just........Plain...... FUN

:happy204: :lol: :P :smilie_pokal: :eclipsee_steering: :figo: :OLA:

Ed Funk
02-27-2006, 02:44 PM
I love IT because of the people. I've been a veternarian (Raymond, I do eat meat), for 33 years, and I've frequently said that I'd never worked with a vet that I didn't learn something from. Same goes for the IT people, I've never raced against anyone that I didn't learn from. Most has been good, some not so good, doesn't take long to learn who you're comfortable with. I've raced with "slumming" national names who were damn scarey, I've race with brand new (just signed off yesterday) rookies who I was comfortable being an inch away from.

But the best, most amazing thing is that IT got me introduced to the wonderful woman who became my wife! And now through the wonders of IT, we'll be racing against each other. Hopefully, we'll be comfortable together and learn from each other!

I could have used some "smilies" in this, but Steph used the last of them!

JeffYoung
02-27-2006, 03:21 PM
David, sorry, tongue was in cheek on that one. I own 1/2 of two SMs, so I see the upside to the cars.

I was trying to make a point though, but did it rather inartfully. Spec car racing can be fun, but what I like a lot about IT is the variety and the various strengths and weaknesses of the cars.

And I really like the people, especially when I meet them away from the board and at the track. My board manners have deteriorated tremendously over the last, rather contentious, year, and I need to fix that.

ddewhurst
02-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Not an issue Jeff, I just needed to ding ya a bit. If I'm not mistaken you & Ron are partners. ;) One of the things that is so cool there is minimal bitching on this site about specific cars from other classes. :023:

lateapex911
02-27-2006, 08:10 PM
.....Even the biggest jackass that posts on this site, I have had a pleasant evening with sharing a couple of beers around a fire at the track.
[/b]

So, it's pretty easy to come up with a short "jackass" list, LOL.....but putting one of them at a campfire at Lime Rock behooves me.

Of course......I'VE shared a beer with you at Lime Rock.....

Hmmmmmmm..

C'mon...hint?

One other point...when an engine blows, ever notice who's helping put a new one in at 11 that night in the paddock?? The guy NEXT to you on grid! :)

dickita15
02-27-2006, 08:30 PM
well my daddy always said everyone is a ass to someone :D

tom91ita
02-27-2006, 09:01 PM
i love IT if for no other reason than being able to get advice from this forum and for reading about Catch22's neighbors hating him!

when i read excerpts to my wife we were laughing so hard we were crying. and she doesn't even like my garage!

but i can relate to many here because i love my cars and my neighbors hate me.

imagine getting a letter from the neighborhood association telling me i can't have my car in the driveway on blocks for a couple of nights. they were Jack Stands, not BLOCKS!! after all, i have some class!

thanks for starting this thread and reminding us what we have in common rather than what we don't. :birra:

tom

Knestis
02-27-2006, 10:04 PM
...I own 1/2 of two SMs, so I see the upside to the cars. ...[/b]

Note that this is NOT the same thing as owning one whole one. And so far for Jeff, the upside has not been down. :P

As evidence of Jeff's commitment, this from the '04 VIR 13 hours. There was something about radiator stop leak or some such involved.

http://it2.evaluand.com/gti/images/enduro04/smalldicked.jpg

K