PDA

View Full Version : Plugs

RacerBill
02-25-2006, 06:31 PM
I removed the emissions air pump from the motor and now I need to plug the whole where the tube from the pump goes into the manifold. the size of the fitting that attached to tube appears to by 7/8" x 18. I have looked in several catalogs, including Pegasus, but I have not been able to find any plugs that size. Anybody have any other sources?

Thanks.

MMiskoe
02-25-2006, 09:42 PM
If it had a tube that was then treaded into the port, you can crimp the tube over. I've seen that done on more than one occasion w/o problem. You could always solder/braze it closed too.

Once in a pinch, I took a copper cap (for soldering onto the end of a copper water pipe), slit the side, lightly hammered it onto the OD of the fitting, then used a hose clamp. Wasn't pretty or sophisticated, but it did the job w/ the parts I had on hand.

At least some of the Jap cars use a 18x1.50 metric thread on their O2 sensors, don't know if thats the same for your port. If you can determine the thread size, then go to someone like Fastenall, or McMaster-Carr & buy a bolt, cut it down to size.

Matt

ryotko
02-26-2006, 10:39 AM
I removed the emissions air pump from the motor and now I need to plug the whole where the tube from the pump goes into the manifold. the size of the fitting that attached to tube appears to by 7/8" x 18. I have looked in several catalogs, including Pegasus, but I have not been able to find any plugs that size. Anybody have any other sources?

Thanks.
[/b]

7/8 - 18 is kind of an odd size. It's somtimes used in trans. plugs and truck oil drain plugs. Pegasus has one listed but it has a magnet. See link below. Locally you can check a Detroit Diesel dealer. I think the Series 40 motors use this size as an oil drain. Both of these options will have an external hex head and flange which you may not have room for in your application.
If you don't have the space for the flange and need a socket type plug try a local hydraulic shop.

-Bob

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=20

RacerBill
03-01-2006, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the ideas. One of the magmetic plugs from Pegasus is on its way. I also decided to try the plug-it-yourself idea. The fitting that had been up on the manifold of one of the spare engines had enough of the tube left to crimp in a vice and cut off square, then fill with metal filler (multiple layers with 4+ hours drying time between layers. I thought I was going to have to fill the other fitting while it was attached to the cat. but I went ahead and tried to remove it, and guess what, out it came. That fitting did not have enought of the tube to crimp, so I juct covered the end and filled with the metal filler (again, several layers).

I guess that we'll get them back in tonight and try them out. Everything else has been working out recently, so I guess we're on a roll. :happy204: :happy204: :happy204: