PDA

View Full Version : ITA 1990 Mazda Miata side hoops & cross tube install questions

ddewhurst
02-25-2006, 02:36 PM
:015:

tderonne
02-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Dave?

ddewhurst
02-27-2006, 05:12 PM
Tim, there were 40 peeks with zero responses therefore I presumed the super rules nerds didn't want to get involved. My edit eliminated the written words. The entire post was as simple as can be. When we implement side hoops in an IT car can we alter/modify anything other than the dash/instrument panel ? Using as an example from ITA/Spec Miata that I have viewed the folks are butchering boxed weldments at each A pillar, relocating a fuse block, butchering the vent blower motor fan housing & butchering the directional box for the heat/defroster. I have my 1990 Miata apart at this time therefore I know what they are butchering when the side hoops are tight to the A pillar & getting cross tube installed. Hey, if the butchering items other than the dash/instrument panel legal, fine, if it's not legal I want no part of it. I beleive I understand what's legal/not legal & I was going to read & ask for rule respones. :023:

dickita15
02-27-2006, 07:24 PM
David, I admit to reading the post over, and at best I am an apprentice rule nerd (and I think there is a movement to revoke that status). :)

I did not answer for three reasons. First I see no enabling rule that would allow gutting other that dash “board’ reference in 17.1.4.d.9.c.

Second I do not know if that thin wall dash support tube is part of the dash and do not want to get into a Miata cage debate on that issue as we have much local history here on that issue.

Thirdly, you are pretty good on rules and with you passion on the other cage issue made me wonder if it was a set up. I am sorry if I misjudged your motives.

Knestis
02-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Some people take a LOT of liberties with SM cages include (that I have seen) completely removing the stock dash cross member and notching door openings. Nobody seems to care, though...

K

RSTPerformance
02-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Miata cages were a huge issue last year localy here in the Northeast... If you have questions I delt first hand as a SOM with the issues all year and would be glad to point you in the correct/legal direction. I wont give you the gossip, however if you are building a car send me a "PM" with your phone number and a good time to call. I'll do my best to help you!!!

Raymond

ddewhurst
02-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Dick, I'm a straight shooter. :D

A. 17.1.4.d.9.c. & the last part of 17.1.4.d.9.f. is what I understand the modifications allowed. BUT, the words in .f. are "Other than to provide for installation of required safety equipment or other authorized modifications, no other driver/passenger compartment alterations or gutting are permitted."

How far may one alter/modify with the words "Other than to provide for installation of required safety equipment or other authorized modifications,"?

B. As I look at the 1990 Mazda Miata workshop manual under Body, Dashboard & Console pictures & identification the thin tube is not accounted for therefore I do not consider the thin tube to be part of the Dashboard.

C. I am a small town boy & way to straight to waste time setting someone up. BUT, several years ago Kurt of the CRB accused me of shit like setting the CRB up with some questions I had about Production roll cages. When I talk about the party & politics that's the kind of stuff I refer to. He & the CRB are always looking for who is trying to get one over on them. & I will presume with many written letters relative to Production that is the point of the letters. Gain something for one's car.

K, I have viewed many of the things you refer to as libertys.

Raymond, I will send a pm.

Thanks guys :023:

dickita15
02-28-2006, 08:33 AM
Dick, I'm a straight shooter. :D
[/b]

good as long as I don't become a target :)

A. 17.1.4.d.9.c. & the last part of 17.1.4.d.9.f. is what I understand the modifications allowed. BUT, the words in .f. are "Other than to provide for installation of required safety equipment or other authorized modifications, no other driver/passenger compartment alterations or gutting are permitted."

How far may one alter/modify with the words "Other than to provide for installation of required safety equipment or other authorized modifications,"?
[/b]

I think the key phrase here is "or other authorized modifications". the modificatons for the cage have to be authorized by some other secton. the only ones I can find are the dash reference and a couple of references to passing from the passenger compartment to the trunk area.

B. As I look at the 1990 Mazda Miata workshop manual under Body, Dashboard & Console pictures & identification the thin tube is not accounted for therefore I do not consider the thin tube to be part of the Dashboard.
[/b]
sounds like a fair argument