PDA

View Full Version : 944 Spare tire tub removal

Team SSR
02-23-2006, 07:03 PM
It would really help to get the spare tire "tub" out of the trunk area. It doesn't sound like the rules really allow this, or at least it would be a stretch. It would really help things out when working on these cars, though. I believe PCA allows this mod. Any views on this are welcome.

John Herman
02-23-2006, 07:32 PM
If you put a fuel cell where the tub is, then hack away at the tub. For sprint races you don't need much of a cell, but to fit it in safely you may need to do some serious surgery to the tub area.

Matt Rowe
02-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Keep in mind there are restrictions on fuel cell placement. They are vague but you must stay within 12" of the stock fuel tank.

944-spec#94
02-24-2006, 10:39 AM
I would not put a fuel cell in the spare tire tub.

Reason is that it is right between the rear bumper and the tranny. Rear impact would not be nice to a cell there.

The stock tank is in a nice spot above the tranny. This means most impacts would send the energy in to the tranny and into the torque tube putting less into the fuel cell.

latebrake
02-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Ok,not trying to start anything here but. Your fuel cell has to be within 12 of the existing tank,this takes into account the pinch on the existing tank to the enclosure of the fuel cell. You can install a cell in the passenger compartment and it will be within the 12 inch rule. I ran a cell in the passenger side for three years. You can corner balance your car WAY better.

The stock location is the best place to have the fuel. If you are concerned take the tank out and take it/send it to a bed liner company and have it sprayed with the coating. The tank is better protected in the stock location and any fuel cell not well though out. My 2 cents.

Lawrence

wpspeedracer
02-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Another problem you get into when you take out the spare tire tub is the massive chamber the now exists which captures air that is flowing under the car and there is no place for it to go with the tub gone. Unknowingly, I did this to my first 944 and the back end became squirelly at high speeds - I had to put some metal work back in to redirect the air flow.....and with regard to the stock gas tank placement - leave it - it is in a nice-SAFE-spot in front and above the rear axle....
Mark

Team SSR
02-28-2006, 08:35 AM
I do plan on leaving the fuel tank in the stock place.

"I did this to my first 944 and the back end became squirelly at high speeds - I had to put some metal work back in to redirect the air flow ..."

So, is all of that deemed legal in ITS????

latebrake
02-28-2006, 09:17 AM
I do plan on leaving the fuel tank in the stock place.

"I did this to my first 944 and the back end became squirelly at high speeds - I had to put some metal work back in to redirect the air flow ..."

So, is all of that deemed legal in ITS????
[/b]

depends, If you want to remove the tire well you should do so with some system to put it back. Pop rivets or bolts. You can do a lot of things under there to protect the fuel tank,brake lines and fuel lines, all of it will move air better.

I am working on a 944S now. I plan to keep the stock fuel tank and stock location. I have found that after 7 or 8 trans swaps that removing the tire well is not all that needed anyway,extra work for not much help.

Lawrence

JeffYoung
02-28-2006, 09:49 AM
To answer the question, it is not legal to remove the spare tire tub just to remove it (for, say, working access to the car).

It can only be removed to facilitate the install of a fuel cell, and even then I'd have to check the GCR to make sure that is fully legal.

Joe Harlan
02-28-2006, 10:27 AM
It would really help to get the spare tire "tub" out of the trunk area. It doesn't sound like the rules really allow this, or at least it would be a stretch. It would really help things out when working on these cars, though. I believe PCA allows this mod. Any views on this are welcome.
[/b]

c. The stock fuel tank may be replaced with a fuel cell. The
fuel cell shall be located within twelve (12) inches of the
original fuel tank location. Additional reinforcement may be
added to support the fuel cell, but such reinforcement shall
not attach to the roll cage. Floor pan may be modified for
installation. See GCR Section 19., for requirements.
[/b]

Pretty much says it all.

dj10
02-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Use two (2) smaller fuel cells 1 on either side of the transaxle. You can keep them low and just cut out what you need to stick up through the trunk deck.