PDA

View Full Version : 87 civic questions

dazzlesa
02-20-2006, 10:03 PM
what are you using for front pads and where are you finding rims? whats up with no front springs? what is the offset you are looking for for rims?

Tkczecheredflag
02-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Rick - Torsion bars are in place the springs. Beef the stock bars up with 29mm bars some guys like the 27.5mm.
Porterfield AP-256 H R4 Carbon Kevlar always worked well for me.
Not sure about offset but the stock BMW wheels for offset are a good example.

Hope that helps.

R2 Racing
02-21-2006, 01:57 AM
Rick, FWIW the 27mm otrsion bars can be found in the Civic wagons of that era. The 29mm bars are pretty much a custom order thing nowadays and are much more expensive. But, I like and use the 29mm bars personally.

We use Carbotech's pads on our '85. They also make racing rear shoes for it too if you're looking for those.

Damn, I couldn't tell you about the offset. As for finding wheels, it's kind of a hunting game since not many people make 13x6's anymore unless you want to fit a Panasport bill. I've generally been able to find (and hord) old Mugen's, Panasports, Enkie's, and Keiser's. You have to be patient though - probably even more so than the last time I looked for them.

1stGenBoy
02-21-2006, 02:53 PM
I have been using the Raybestes ST43 compound from Porterfield. Not cheap but works better than anything else I have used. If you have a final drive in the car you can also use 14" wheels. These are cheap and can be found on lots of Acuras/Hondas. In ITB they are a little narrow (5.5") but we, can only go to 6" wide any way. On the SI you can use either 13 or 14 inch wheels per the GCR in ITB.

Bob

dazzlesa
02-21-2006, 08:42 PM
thanks for the help. its getting closer to trck ready

iambhooper
02-21-2006, 10:32 PM
I picked up a set of the Raybestos pads from Porterfield, after my first race weekend in the car last year. I have been very please with them. We've used them for 3 race weekends (2 at VIR and 1 at Lowes) and 2 test days. Not much time by most peoples standards, but an awefull lot for my first complete season.

Check redpepperracing.com sometimes some things pop up there for the CRX's and Civic's. You might find some deals on T bars.

Greg Gauper
03-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Another thumbs up for the Raybestos ST43 compound from Porterfield. I have been running them on my GP civic for two seasons now. I get about twice the life as my older Hawk Blues and they seem to be a bit more rotor friendly. The ST41 compound is supposed to have a higher initial bite and might be too touchy for use with DOT tires. I plan to try them this season on the Prod car. FWIW I could not get Carbotechs to work to my liking despite many phone calls with Larry. Biggest problem was bending the brake pads due to heat on brake killer tracks like Blackhawk & Road America.

I tried a set of Porterfields own compound pads many years ago and had the same problem as the Carbotechs. I liked the Hawk Blues but they aren't available any more, but Porterfield will make custom pads with Hawk Blue Material if you like. But if you go that route, you might as well go with the Raybestos pads.

RSTPerformance
03-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Porterfield is the only company that "stocks" racing brake pads for an Audi Coupe, we have had horible experiences with porterfield including inconsistancy of material. I would strongly NOT suggest that company.

Carbotech has been absolutely wonderfull to us. They make our pads for us. All we need to do is send backing plates to them. I STRONGLY recomend them as a source for your brakes. I am sure that if they can do it for an Audi then (despite that it is a Honda :cavallo: ) they can make pads for you at a reasonable cost that might even be less than other companies such as Porterfield.

Raymond "you had better be able to stop that honda when your following me :rolleyes: " Blethen

charrbq
03-08-2006, 08:01 AM
I'll ditto the Carbotech cheer. I run Panther Plus from them. Normally put on a new set in November for a 6 hour enduro and sprint weekend. Run that event, three or four test/race weekends, and then scrap them. Sometimes they're good enough to save for a test day. I've had one set bend the backing plate, but only when there was no more pad left! The release is good, the were is great, and they're easy on the rotors. Plus, they stop like a sumbitch! For the rears, I use a stock set of Si shoes. They see little work on a Honda.
Wheels...good luck. Some guys swear by Panasports. They're great wheels, but I can't make them work on the 225 /45's I run. The Panasport dealer told they only come in one offset, but I've since heard differently. I've got several different asst. sets, but the best I found was made by Enki. Very light. Look similar to BBS.

gran racing
03-08-2006, 09:45 AM
I kinda hope you run Porterfield. ;) (I run Carbotech and love them! I have also used Porterfield previously.)

tom91ita
03-11-2006, 12:48 PM
for front springs:

http://www.upgrademotoring.com/qwikrelease...0Torsion%20Bars (http://www.upgrademotoring.com/qwikrelease.htm#Upgrade%20Motoring%20Torsion%20Bar s)

for wheels, i bought some 14x6 from tirerack and some 13x6 used panasports with about a 38mm offset.

i am a major carbotech fan in part because of the time they take to discuss the actual application for my car based on the car, level of cooling, type of tires, type of racing, etc.

i saw Greg's raybestos pads on his car at the runoffs and must say i was impressed with the look of the rotors and the wear he was reporting based on how long they had been on the car that week.

someone else said redpepperracing, i second that as well.

good luck, tom

almracing
03-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Rick -- I came across my measurement stick I used for measuring offset for my old '86 Civic Si. My steel rims with Dirt Stockers were a 5" offset. The Alum. Keizer wheels were a 5-3/16" offset. (13x6)

tom91ita
03-13-2006, 02:15 PM
the measurements of ~5" sound more like "backspace" rather than "offset" ??

as i understand offset, it is the amount from the centerline of the rim that the seating surface lies.

for most hondas, this is "negative" offset vs. "positive" offset.

as i understand backspace, it is from the inside edge of the rim to the seating surface.

these terms get intermixed alot. but if you are planning to order rims, you want to make sure that you and the vendor are speaking in the same terms.

almracing
03-13-2006, 03:29 PM
Tom - You are correct... sorry about my confusion. The measurement I gave was for Backspacing.

tom91ita
03-13-2006, 05:20 PM
i personally prefer backspacing since it is more intuitive. but i could remember seeing the "38" stamped on the wheels and didn't want to go to the trailer to try and measure the backspacing with wheels on the car.

but i have spoke to vendors and some will swear that they are the same. i do not buy from those vendors.

Doodson
03-21-2006, 03:39 PM
I just wanted to say that I have ran every pad except the Raybestos pads on my 86 GTL civic and found that the Carbotech pads did create alot of heat but still worked great. Hawk blues work OK , PFC 83 compound worked the best.
It really depends on the car you are running, track you are on, and the venting you have to the brakes as to what compound/company is best suited for your car. I tried the Carbotech pads on a 97 Ingegra and they did bend a 1/4 backing plate. However I know a guy who used the same compound Carbotech pads on a 86 GTL CRX and they lasted the whole season of 8 races with no problems.

My advise would be to start with the cheper ones and see if they work for you if not try another company. If you can aford it buy from 2 or 3 companies and compare on your home track.

Chris Doodson
#73 Civic