PDA

View Full Version : D Series Trans

spnkzss
02-20-2006, 02:04 PM
What kind of things can cause a Diff bearing to self destruct?

I was pulling my trans out this weekend to change FD for my brother to take to Driver's school and found the passenger side bearing destroyed. 10 of the 18 or so ball bearing were missing completly and only about 2 of the ones that were still there were anygood at all. The other ones were ground down and I can't find the ones. The magnet has plenty of metal stacked up on it. The gears seem to be good so far. I'll be interested to see if my posi is trashed.

I want to make sure I don't make the same mistake when I put my new trans back together. I can only assume it was an install issue since I had just built that trans with new bearing about 6 months ago with only about 4 weekends on it.

Thanks

joeg
02-20-2006, 04:33 PM
No lubrication or got it wrecked on assembly.

Find a whole different tranny; that could be far too much junk chewing around in it.

seckerich
02-20-2006, 06:03 PM
What Posi are you running?

spnkzss
02-20-2006, 06:10 PM
What Posi are you running?
[/b]

I'm actually running a modified OBX.

I think I figured out why it went and it is a total DA mistake on my part. For some reason I keep seeing in my head the bearing sitting on the diff the wrong way. The bearing is open on one side and closed on the other. I think I put the open side towards the seal which mean not a drop of oil could get to it. The onl thing that scares me now is I built 2 trans last year. One for me and one for my teammate. It looks like I may be building 2 more this year. :bash_1_:

A little bit of knowledge can sometimes be worse than no knowledge at all................. then again people will argue how much knowledge I actually have :P

JamesB
02-20-2006, 06:42 PM
ouch man. sounds like me when I overtourqued my first diff install. Talk about learning by error.