PDA

View Full Version : no short shifters?

leggwork
02-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Hi guys,
from my reading of the rules, all I can find about the shift mechanism is that the shift lever can be bent above the tunnel. So, no replacement of the shift lever to give a shorter throw - is that a correct interpretation?
thanks,
bruce

leggwork
02-19-2006, 08:39 PM
well, I went over the Rules & Regs forum where I should have looked first and see that short shifters are not legal.
thanks,
bruce

Hi guys,
from my reading of the rules, all I can find about the shift mechanism is that the shift lever can be bent above the tunnel. So, no replacement of the shift lever to give a shorter throw - is that a correct interpretation?
thanks,
bruce
[/b]

mlytle
02-20-2006, 04:16 PM
well, I went over the Rules & Regs forum where I should have looked first and see that short shifters are not legal.
thanks,
bruce
[/b]

gotta love self help programs!! :D

marshall

jhooten
02-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Instructions for legal short shifter:

1. Remove shifter from transmission

2. Clamp shaft shaft in vise just above pivot

3. 2.5 inches down from knob threads heat shift shaft with torch until cherry red

4. Bend shaft 180 degree toward the front of the car (shouting of profanity for burning fingers because you didn't put your gloves on is optional).

5. Remove beer from cooler and open, soak burned hand in cooler and drink beer, holding in unburned hand, while shaft cools.

6. 2 inches down from the first bend in the shaft heat shaft once again until cherry red and bend shaft 180 degrees to the rear.

7. Incase you didn't learn the first time repeat step 5

8. Remove shifter from vise.

9. You should now be holding a workable shifter that is 2 inches shorter than the original. and if you did it right you have enough shaft above the bends to screw the knob back on.

10. Reinstall shifter in transmission.

11. Admire your handy work.

12. go to the medicine cabinet for aspirin/tylinol/motrin or your painr reliever of choice and and burn balm.

Your Redneck Racing short shifter is now ready for use.

steve s
02-20-2006, 08:45 PM
seems to me you're going to make it 4" shorter :(

jhooten
02-21-2006, 11:34 PM
Steve,

You obviously need to repeat basic REDNECK engineering at the local night trade school. :P

It was bent down two inches but it was bent back up two inches so it can only be two inches shorter.

(OK, in the real world it would be 4" shorter but then it wouldn't be redneck now would it?)