PDA

View Full Version : HAS ANYONE ELSE ACTUALLY BOUGHT/MADE AN SIR YET?

BMW RACER
02-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Hey folks.

I bought a 27 mm SIR from Raetech a couple of weks back when this whole deal took off. I haven't fabricated a system up to use it yet for two reasons. 1/ Not sure how this SIR deal is going to shake out. 2/ Not quite sure how to legally get it to fit the car.

I did however attach the SIR to my air mass sensor with the car idleing, and it made a big difference to the idle and when giving the car throttle it ran like crap and started pumping out black smoke!

I know that it's supposed to work better when the SIR is placed thurther away from the intake. It looks like the only way to do that is move the radiator.

Has SCCA ever used SIRs in production based fuel injected motors?

If they wanted to slow down the E36 why didn't the just go to a smaller FPR?

mlytle
02-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Hey folks.

I bought a 27 mm SIR from Raetech a couple of weks back when this whole deal took off. I haven't fabricated a system up to use it yet for two reasons. 1/ Not sure how this SIR deal is going to shake out. 2/ Not quite sure how to legally get it to fit the car.

I did however attach the SIR to my air mass sensor with the car idleing, and it made a big difference to the idle and when giving the car throttle it ran like crap and started pumping out black smoke!

I know that it's supposed to work better when the SIR is placed thurther away from the intake. It looks like the only way to do that is move the radiator.

[/b]
yikes! that doesn't sound good..... wonder if the sirs that were tested last week exhibited any of those symptoms.

MikeBlaszczak
02-16-2006, 07:50 AM
BMW RACER, your observations match what one of the racing parts suppliers I talked with last week said.

From the other threads here, the observations you've made, and what I've heard calling around to the suppliers, I don't think the SCCA has ever tested the solution they've recommended... until this meeting that was held someplace in Connecticut a couple of days ago. And we're still waiting to hear the results from that.

Meanwhile, what's an FPR?

JoelG
02-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Meanwhile, what's an FPR?
[/b]

flat plate restrictor

Marshall, wanna buy an E30?

dj10
02-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Hey folks.

[/b]

From what I was told John, they thought there were too many ways to cheap the FRP.
Joel, hold or race your E30 they might be the car to have with a 200# reduction, never mind, sell it and get a RX7 (if you like rice burners).
John, I'll bet you a dime that the SIR in 27 and 29mm were found to be to small.
Glad we didn't believe their theory's. :D
dj

mlytle
02-16-2006, 01:43 PM
flat plate restrictor

Marshall, wanna buy an E30?
[/b]
about now keeping my old e30 would have been a good choice... :lol:

thinkin' about picking up an srx7 with matt specifically for enduro's. the share in that car would be less than the cost of installing an sir..... :wacko: