PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating a '71 240z

jake7140
02-14-2006, 06:32 PM
I've run across this car (haven't seen yet) and am wondering about any particulars to look for. The story:
- was raced in SCCA ITS until 1994 supposedly winningly, then purchased by current owner for V8 conversion :( which never got started, save for "stiffer/taller" :( springs.
- painted (Z) orange, then put in project garage
- supposedly mostly stock mechanically, dual su's, stock (ported) intake and exhaust manifolds
- logbook probably available

1) What are the prevalent/dangerous rust zones? It is supposedly a Calif car, and in extremely good shape
2) Stress/crack areas?
3) Any other "specific" maintenance issues/problems aside from the std car stuff?

I suppose there may be SOME updating to do GCR-wise, but I'm not gunning for the podium, just to get out and and drive it.

Thanks for your help. Perhaps I'll join the ranks in a truly cool vintage car

kthomas
02-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Keep in mind for vintage you will usually be classed with cars that have much bigger engines so to be competitive you need a full GT-2 race motor and appropriate brakes. ITS is much funner and cheaper!

Z's rust from the inside out. Frame rails, floor pans, "dog leg" just forward of the rear wheels, upper rear wheel arch, battery box area, and under the rear hatch rubbers are the common areas.

Stress cracks from racing show up on the frame rails where the front sway bar attaches, on the frame rail around the front crossmember attachment, on the frame rail spotwelds near the firewall, and in the bend of the rear uprights (the flat vertical pieces on either side of the diff) where they attach to the chassis.

My biggest concern after determining that it is a straight, rust free unibody, would be the roll cage design. I think the logbook will be important to grandfather the cage in, since there's been a tubing size change that affects the Z since that one was built. Better check the rules to be sure you don't have to build a new cage, and better send me some pictures ofthe cage to make sure it isn't unsafe.

1994 was pre- adjustable coilovers and any decent shocks so the suspension may be little more than "advanced street". You really need to get an inventory of what goodies it has. "Not gunning for the podium" is fine, but it's really no fun getting lapped. The bar for ITS Z's has been raised a few times since then.

jake7140
02-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the lone reply. just what I was after, especially the stress crack locations!

Now I understand why he doesn't have coil-overs on it, but still supposedly did "well". I think you're right, the susp is not much. Sounds like the rules were quite a bit more restrictive when it was built. Cage was a concern also, sounds like I can get grandfathered if I have the original logbook then. I'll try to read gcr as well, and check out the cage.

As far as vintage, there's really just one event I want to run, which includes 3-4 other 'lightly' prepped Zs, so that would be a purely fun thing. I should at least be able to keep up with the 510s. CAN'T be any slower than a Spec RX-7!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Definitely not going gt-2/prod prep. I try to remember that I'm lucky to even be in the game at all, so don't try to push my luck too far with the "governing council" :rolleyes:

It may or may not work out, I have to clear out some exising stuff, but at least I know where to start. I'm not sure I even "know what I don't know" yet, but as long as the platform is workable, that's fine, can upgrade as time/money allow.

They're just so damn cool and classic, Ize just gots to know. I still remember the first one I saw in the early 70's!

Any other thoughts welcome. Thanks again.

rob22
02-19-2006, 02:15 PM
If you are interested, we have a 1972 240 z SCCA E production car that we are contemplating selling.
(have moved on to GT-1) has also run in HSR vintage as a IMSA GTU.

The car has won a number of EP and GT2 races in Central Florida Region, last raced in 2004.
Has pro cage, with nascar type door bars, ATL fuel cell, ground control coilovers, Kirkey seat, flared fenders,
4.38 locked rear, close ratio overdrive tranny (.864 fifth gear) Glass Hood, lexan rear window, 15x7 panasports and 15x7 diamond light weight steel wheels, aluminum radiator.

Motors are disassembled have 2.4 12.5 to 1 and GT2 2.8 with new JE 13 to 1 pistons

very quick, inexpensive, good looking ride.

Bosco 386 717 0745

Rick_htm
02-20-2006, 06:49 PM
any photo's of the car you have for sale?

JeffYoung
02-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Katman will tell you this but we spend a lot of time on the rear brakes. You do need to make sure they are fully adjusted out and that everything (cylinders, ratcheting mechanism) is in good order otherwise you'll get the big old nasty soft pedal.

Drum brakes were a mystery to me til I started messing with them. :035:

zracre
02-21-2006, 10:30 AM
I really really enjoyed my Z in ITS...it was my first race car and I built it. When the reality sunk in on how much racing really costs, I switched to a GTI...and it was great too! I kept the Z then eventually restored it and ran HSR with it. I was usually one of the top Z finishers simply by having a decent reliable car. For few bucks they can be made real fun and relatively quick...if you want the ITS fast numbers, you will spend prod money on it...I hate that I sold it :bash_1_: oh well :birra: