PDA

View Full Version : QR Steering wheel mounting?

Devildog
02-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Hi, I'm pretty new to SCCA racing and rules so bear with me if I ask a question or two that is obvious to everyone else.

Looking at the rules it does'nt address using or mounting a QR wheel, however I dont really see how you could mount one without modifying the steering column illegaly.

Is there a legal way to do this or is it just one of those things that is'nt really legal, but it should be and everyone does it anyway, so no one cares?

Knestis
02-13-2006, 03:45 PM
When I had one, the wheel bolted to the QR unit, that bolted to the MOMO adapter, that slipped onto the standard spline on my shaft. I quit using it after we re-engineered the seat mount to make enough room between the drivers' knees and the wheel during stops.

K

Chris Wire
02-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Hi, I'm pretty new to SCCA racing and rules so bear with me if I ask a question or two that is obvious to everyone else.

Looking at the rules it does'nt address using or mounting a QR wheel, however I dont really see how you could mount one without modifying the steering column illegaly.

Is there a legal way to do this or is it just one of those things that is'nt really legal, but it should be and everyone does it anyway, so no one cares?
[/b]

You can do it the way Kirk did (and I am doing) or you can buy the QR unit and weld it to the column. The Momo unit was over $100 to purchase, and the circle track weld on units are usually cheaper, but if you have to pay someone to weld on the adapter, it's pretty much a wash.

I got mine from Lou at LTB Motorsports (http://www.ltbmotorsports.com). A great guy to deal with, many on this list can attest to that. :happy204:

Devildog
02-13-2006, 08:44 PM
You can do it the way Kirk did (and I am doing) or you can buy the QR unit and weld it to the column. The Momo unit was over $100 to purchase, and the circle track weld on units are usually cheaper, but if you have to pay someone to weld on the adapter, it's pretty much a wash.
[/b]

The circle track style is what I was thinking. The welding is no problem. I just was'nt sure if it was legal. And if not I just wanted to get a feel for whether or not people would cry and whine.

jhooten
02-13-2006, 11:20 PM
ITCS page 13 section 9b is what people use to justify it.

"Any steering wheel except wood rimmed types may be used."

Bill Miller
02-14-2006, 07:00 AM
I'd suggest using the spline type as opposed to the hexagonal type mount, as it provides for finer 'adjustments'. Also, go w/ the 'collar' type release as opposed to the pin style. The 'collar' style is the one you pull towards you. It's part of the natural motion of removing the wheel.

RacerBill
02-14-2006, 09:34 AM
I concur with both Chris and Bill. I installed the LTB unit with NO problems (almost seemed too easy!).

This year I will upgrade with some sort of alignment marks, so that the steering wheel will be aligned with the front wheels no matter what angle they are resting at.

Knestis
02-14-2006, 10:20 AM
If I can weld a QR hub to my steering column, then I can weld bushing sleeves into my A-arms - right?

K

pfcs
02-14-2006, 10:28 PM
only if you're reosonable about it

Knestis
02-14-2006, 10:38 PM
I don't remember seeing a "reasonable" requirement in the ITCS. :)

k

pfcs
02-15-2006, 09:12 AM
don'tcha see? I'm makin my own rules.

ddewhurst
02-15-2006, 10:17 AM
**If I can weld a QR hub to my steering column, then I can weld bushing sleeves into my A-arms - right?**

YA, RIGHT, but no spherical bearings. :dead_horse:

It is quite interesting to read the ITSC & the Spec Miata rules for steering wheels. :cavallo:

Greg Amy
02-15-2006, 11:47 AM
...or you can buy the QR unit and weld it to the column.[/b]
Here we go again, onto another rules odyssey...

Welded steering wheel quick releases are illegal in Improved Touring. Disagree? Show me where it's allowed.

The rule that allows a QR hub is the one that allows any alternate steering wheel; note that this rule does not allow any modification to any other part of the car in order to do it. Thus, if you can unbolt it and bolt it back on the column, it's legal; if you have to modify or replace any other part than the steering wheel to make it happen, it's illegal.

Once again: you disagree? Show me where the rules allow mdifications to the steering control column (IIDSYCYC). Just 'cause someone *assumed* you could modify the control column in order to replace the steering wheel don't make it legal...if that logic follows, then any allowed "replacement" also allows mods to install it, and you don't want me building a car with that in mind... - GA

jhooten
02-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Who is going to be the voluteer to file the first protest and reap the wrath of the 80%of the It field that has the QR hubs welded on?

Greg Amy
02-15-2006, 02:19 PM
I doubt anyone's going to bother to protest it (and I sincerely doubt "80%" of the IT field is even running a QR hub, let alone a welded-on one); it's just not worth it. No performance advantage, and a HELL of a lot more work than a simple LTB bolt-on affair (and SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult to do correctly with significantly more dangerous results if done incorrectly). It does indicate a bit of ignorance of the rules...

However, it would be disingenuous to go around telling people that welded-on quick-release steering wheel hubs are legal, 'cause they ain't...

pfcs
02-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Greg-that's a reasonable statement. thank-you.

BAC
07-19-2006, 12:17 PM
I picked up this part from Upgrade Motoring and am VERY happy with it.

http://www.upgrademotoring.com/qwikrelease.htm