4/1/06: BMW 325i/is (2 & 4 door) (92-95), p. 18, change the specs to
read as follows: Notes: Trunk mounted fuel cell with no larger capacity
than stock. 27mm SIR required and must comply with GTCS section
17.1.2.F.4.i.10.

Jeremy Thoennes
Technical Services Manager
[email protected]

[/b]

Just for the record... NOTHING on the BMW restrictor deal has changed at this point, with the exception of the implementation date...

In order to satisfy the requests of competitors, as well as to obtain validation data, the CRB has decided to move the implementation date to April 1 (I know... I mentioned it and the irony of that date isn't lost on them! ) In the meantime, some dyno time is scheduled for this weekend by one of the CRB members to do some SIR testing on a BMW and see what the numbers show... Several baseline runs already exist for the car in question, which validate the data that the ITAC already has on these cars, so this should be a good way to see what the true effects of the SIR is on the vehicle in question...

Based on the results of these tests, I imagine that the CRB may or may not revise their original sizing requirement. Their goal is NOT to revoke the implementation of the SIR on this car, but rather to be fair and get the sizing correct. I think that is prudent, and also what many of you have been calling for, so I would think it would be condidered a win-win situation...

While I'm sure Mr. Finch had good intentions, he's not the authoritative word on this issue and he spoke a little out of turn recently when telling some of you that the size WOULD be changing... The CRB should have been allowed to announce the new date, and saying the size had been changed is simply not accurate at this point. Additionally, it was on his recommendation that the original size was specified, and now it seems further data has come to light that puts this size in question. The CRB simply want's the opportunity to test it for themselves and correct the specification IF it's necessary. Dave has told Bob Dowie that he would exchange the 27mm inserts that have already been purchased for whatever the chosen size is to be, should a change be deemed necessary... It should not effect the installation of the housing either way.

I'm sure everyone is sorry for whatever inconveniance this is causing, but I'm also sure everyone is equally willing to work toward getting the situation put to rest as soon as is reasonably possible... I'm sure that's no confort to those of you who are perpetually pissed-off at everything, but I'm sure the reasonable amongst you will understand and appreciate the effort to get things right...

Stay Tuned...

steve s
02-09-2006, 10:36 PM
:happy204: thank you SCCA for the extra time .ithink that's all most of the BMW crowd wanted. a little testing time to see the effects on the car.
i don't own a BMW and i drive an rx 7. just trying to be fair.

BMW RACER
02-09-2006, 11:01 PM
I own a BMW and I say thanks. This will give us all a chance to see what we're up against.

buldogge
02-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Thanx from another ITS BMW driver...

I really think this is all that most of us were asking for.

lateapex911
02-10-2006, 12:12 AM
I am planning to attend the dyno test session this weekend, and if it is ok with the particicpants I will act as a "reporter", so to speak. If everyone agrees, I will post the runs and pictures of the installation.

At this point, my understanding is that the cars owner is open to the idea, but I wll wait to post until after he has approved it.

To that end, and since we have a bit of time, is there anything that is of particular interest to anyone?

I assume that in a perfect world you all would want to know:

-the specs on the car in terms of the improvements and mods.
-pertinent race history and relative performance,
-the power curve with no restriction,
-the power curve with a flat plate
-the power curve with the SIR
-the logistics and operation of the dyno.
-the physical installation and parts used.

Again, I'm not sure how much of this I will be able to post, but if I can, I will.
Of course, work weather or other unforseen events could preclude my attendance as well.

What else do inquiring minds want to know?

dj10
02-10-2006, 10:19 AM
I am planning to attend the dyno test session this weekend, and if it is ok with the particicpants I will act as a "reporter", so to speak. If everyone agrees, I will post the runs and pictures of the installation.

At this point, my understanding is that the cars owner is open to the idea, but I wll wait to post until after he has approved it.

To that end, and since we have a bit of time, is there anything that is of particular interest to anyone?

I assume that in a perfect world you all would want to know:

-the specs on the car in terms of the improvements and mods.
-pertinent race history and relative performance,
-the power curve with no restriction,
-the power curve with a flat plate
-the power curve with the SIR
-the logistics and operation of the dyno.
-the physical installation and parts used.

Again, I'm not sure how much of this I will be able to post, but if I can, I will.
Of course, work weather or other unforseen events could preclude my attendance as well.

What else do inquiring minds want to know?
[/b]

Thank you Jake & everyone involved.
If I were you I would not waste time with the flat restrictor plate portion of the test.
The type of dyno used would be helpful & the condition of the BMW used in the test (stock ecu, chip..etc).
dj

Andy Bettencourt
02-10-2006, 10:36 AM
I don't think they will do a FP restrictor on this car anyway. It wasn't run in 2005 when that rule was in effect so I don't think it is installed - or the owner has one anyway.

Knestis
02-10-2006, 10:44 AM
...What else do inquiring minds want to know?[/b]
I want to know if dogs can hear it whistle, once the airflow though the flute goes supersonic. :)

K

steve s
02-10-2006, 11:39 AM
are they going to have different size restrictors to test after the 27mm fail to get the theoretical chp # they were looking for????? :wacko:

turboICE
02-10-2006, 12:02 PM
are they going to have different size restrictors to test (if) the 27mm fail to get the theoretical chp # they were looking for????? :wacko:
[/b]
^Fixed that for you. ;)

And what would you propose they do if it were to exceed it? Wouldn't that be a kick in the groin? 25mm anyone?

Though I think the purpose and intent of the test by those holding it are different than your expectations for it.

Large expectations gaps going into a process result in large disappointments coming out.

Bill Miller
02-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Maybe Joe can answer this question (or David Finch). Is there a graph that correlates restrictor size to targeted hp?

Jake,

I'd love to see the impact of a couple different size restrictors (say 25mm, 27mm, and 29mm). Not sure how feasible that is, but from the pics of the Raetech SIR, I would imagine swapping them out should not be that involved.

Joe Harlan
02-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Maybe Joe can answer this question (or David Finch). Is there a graph that correlates restrictor size to targeted hp?

Jake,

I'd love to see the impact of a couple different size restrictors (say 25mm, 27mm, and 29mm). Not sure how feasible that is, but from the pics of the Raetech SIR, I would imagine swapping them out should not be that involved.
[/b]

There is no official chart that I know of . The FIA uses a chart for the GT classes but it does not get to a low enough displacement. I would supect that anyone doing any official testing would have inserts for the raetech restrictor of the nearby sizes. I may have egg on my face but based on my own reasearch the 27mm should be dam close to target. I have ask several of my engineer friends to go to work on small displacement stuff and get back to me. At this point raetech owns the engineering data being used so all other answers would have to come from Dave.

dj10
02-10-2006, 12:24 PM
I don't think they will do a FP restrictor on this car anyway. It wasn't run in 2005 when that rule was in effect so I don't think it is installed - or the owner has one anyway.
[/b]

WOW! HOW ABOUT A WEB CAM! Wouldn't that be wild. Please no shooting MOONS! :018:
We could ask questions as you are running the tests. What time is this going to happen?
This would be as good as the Steelers beating Seattle!
dj

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Albert Einstein

robits325is
02-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Will this event be open to the public? Can anyone go?

lateapex911
02-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Webcam? Sorry, but I don't think we have the net capacity at the site, nor the cam to do that. I will take plenty of pictures. No moons, I promise.

As for the public attendance, I'm not in charge, but I don't think that's going to fly. It's a private site to begin with, not a lot of room, and we have a big blizzard coning, so the time window is short. If I hear otherwise, I will let you know.

Andy Bettencourt
02-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Will this event be open to the public? Can anyone go? [/b]

Bring Stewart's car and you can have first-hand knowledge. A variety of testing is being done across teh country...under-developed cars to ensure the SIR has no effect - and well built cars to make sure it doesn't kill them.

IIRC, Bob will have both a 27mm and a 29mm at his shop for the tests.

AB

Knestis
02-10-2006, 02:12 PM
When I do data collection for my job, I constantly remind myself that stakeholders' satisfaction with the methodology or test protocols are ALWAYS proportional to the degree with which the findings support their personal or organizational interests. Any evaluation that puts a program in a good light is great, but any that results in less-than-positive results ranges from "debatable" to "seriously flawed."

This is going to be interesting...

K

robits325is
02-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Bring Stewart's car and you can have first-hand knowledge. A variety of testing is being done across teh country...under-developed cars to ensure the SIR has no effect - and well built cars to make sure it doesn't kill them.

IIRC, Bob will have both a 27mm and a 29mm at his shop for the tests.

AB
[/b]

I would love to - where is the testing being held?

lateapex911
02-11-2006, 12:36 AM
About an hour and a half west from New Milford, maybe less, not sure of the route you'd take.

PM or email (below in sig) me and we can get phone numbers if you think you could make it late am or early afternoon. If you're serious, the sooner the better, but I'm not sure I can make that offer without checking, LOL...so the soone r I can check the better.

Andy Bettencourt
02-11-2006, 01:09 AM
I sent Rob directions and a time to be there. There will be more opportunities soon.

AB