PDA

View Full Version : Stock rubber bushings/1st gen rear suspension

JeffW
02-09-2006, 02:32 AM
Does anybody know of a source for stock rubber bushings for the Watts link and upper and lower trailing links for a 1st gen RX-7? Mazdaspeed and 3 local dealers have all told me that I need to buy new, assembled links. It seems to me that somewhere during the manufacturing process, the metal parts would be manufactured in one location while the rubber parts were made somewhere else. Does anybody see a flaw in my logic? If I were able to go one additional step backwards in the manufacturing and supply side, I would be able to get the bushings. Any ideas? Did I talk to the wrong guy at Mazdaspeed?

This is Spec7 so Tri-Link, urethane, etc is not an option. And upgrading to go IT isn't in the budget either unless I give up a year's worth of seat time :(

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff

lateapex911
02-10-2006, 01:35 AM
When I modded mine, I seem to remember they were"vulcanized" in place....in othere words, it seemed they were "one".

So I am not sure they can be found as seperate parts...at least these days. Might be easier getting used components in better condition.

JeffW
02-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Jake,

Thanks. I'll take a closer look. I have one lower link that was bent on the old car. I'll destroy it on my buddy's press this weekend to see how the bushing really fits.

Jeff

Hotshoe
02-11-2006, 12:27 AM
I seem to remember they were"vulcanized" in place....in othere words, it seemed they were "one".
Might be easier getting used components in better condition.
[/b]

Jake,

....You are so right. I had to burn mine to get the bushing out. They are Vulcanized, or more so, the bushing is made in the arm. Not separately and then pressed in.

.... Rick

lateapex911
02-11-2006, 01:03 AM
I think I used a big hole saw and hung on for dear life on mine, LOL.

Jeff, if you can't source the parts you need, I know a nice guy in NC who might have some clean spares...but also Cali boneyards should as well.

JeffW
02-11-2006, 01:42 PM
The parts manager at one of the local dealers runs Time Trials and will sell me new ones at cost + enough $ to keep his job. He recognizes that anybody running Spec7 is doing it because of the budget. I won't waste my time with the press. I have plenty of used ones to chose from.

Funny thing about retubbing the car. I took all of the good parts out of the old one and I have all of the parts from the new donor, but it's still sucking money out of my back pocket.

Prayin' for the Powerball!

Thanks,

Jeff

64oeg
02-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Jeff, if you ever need stock parts, Jump on over to www-mazspeed-com.
Puppetmaster alone has a plethora of stock parts that often he's just
looking for shipping costs on.

George

Marcus Miller
02-15-2006, 01:28 AM
Cali boneyards should as well.
[/b]

:bash_1_:

I have been to every junkyard in the SF bay area, nad found one first gen 7, with an Automatic Trans. 6 months ago they were everywhere. I have no idea where they all went...

Marcus