PDA

View Full Version : Given the E36 situation...

Marcus Miller
02-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Any thoughts on an E30?

Assuming a max effort with good driving; can it compete with a restricted E36 or Mazda?

marcus, who is looking for an ITS car... :bash_1_:

Marcus Miller
02-09-2006, 11:53 PM
no one?

:(

BMW RACER
02-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Hey Marcus.

I used to have an E30. If my memory serves me I would turn 1:35 flat at Willow Springs. With my E36 pre-restrictor I would turn 1:33.6. Check back in a few weeks I'll try the 27mm restrictor when we race there 25/26 of this month.

Joe Harlan
02-10-2006, 01:11 AM
Hey Marcus.

I used to have an E30. If my memory serves me I would turn 1:35 flat at Willow Springs. With my E36 pre-restrictor I would turn 1:33.6. Check back in a few weeks I'll try the 27mm restrictor when we race there 25/26 of this month.
[/b]
John, Do you remember what you could turn in the GTI 240 at willow springs? Or what a good 240z will turn there?

Z3_GoCar
02-10-2006, 02:49 AM
Any thoughts on an E30?

Assuming a max effort with good driving; can it compete with a restricted E36 or Mazda?

marcus, who is looking for an ITS car... :bash_1_:
[/b]

Hey Marcus,

The Z3 shares the same suspension as the e-30, classic BMW struts front semi-trailing arms rear. The only adjustment from the factory is toe on the front. With slotted strut adjusters and ecentric bushings in the trailing arms you can adjust camber and toe on the rear, but not independantly. I've got the compellation book by Road and Track of Z3/M roadsters. In every test they talk about how raw and difficult the handing is, but funny thing the M roadster always seemed to be as fast or faster. From my experience autocrossing my Z3, to be truly fast one needs to be smooth. Another tact would be to run an e-36 318 in ITA especially the earlier M-42 sohc engine. The rear is a multi-link unit, unlike the 318ti and Z3, and the longer wheel base help with stability on the faster, un-auto-cross like tracks out here. As a matter of fact Tom Bell, a long time JS Z3 racer, has offered me his Z as he's started racing a 328 e-36. Last time I talked to him about this he also mentioned the lack of stability in the short wheel base Z3. I'm still hoping to trade door dings in the pits with you some day.

James

Doc Bro
02-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Hey Marcus,

In every test they talk about how raw and difficult the handing is,

Last time I talked to him about this he also mentioned the lack of stability in the short wheel base Z3.

James
[/b]

That's an understatement.....

My next driver development course will be a drifting course!!! (God's honest truth)

The car doesn't like new tires it NEEDS them!!

R

BMW RACER
02-10-2006, 10:48 AM
John, Do you remember what you could turn in the GTI 240 at willow springs? Or what a good 240z will turn there?

Joe.

Craig Stanton could hustle the 240 around in 1:34 flat! And that was in Speedvision Cup trim. I was about half a second behind.

The 240 handled great, just needed a little more power. I know, how about an 85mm SIR !!

I know this is a dumb question. How DO you work the quote thingy?

Joe Harlan
02-10-2006, 11:04 AM

Joe.

Craig Stanton could hustle the 240 around in 1:34 flat! And that was in Speedvision Cup trim. I was about half a second behind.

The 240 handled great, just needed a little more power. I know, how about an 85mm SIR !!

I know this is a dumb question. How DO you work the quote thingy?
[/b]

Quote, lower right corner of post you are replying to. Thanks for the info. When I bought thosse cars it was hard to determine how quick they should be. I hope to bring one of them down to your area this year and run it in RS trim.
We have a couple of E30's in the area that can run with and beat a good 240z from time to time. I think with the weight adjustment given to them they should be right in the target range at this point. I know the downside is the rear suspension as you can not get the car down to minimum ride height with out bottoming the rear spring.

Marcus Miller
02-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Thanks Guys! It sounds like its going to be close. anyone know what a top tier ITS Mazda runs at Willow Springs? I assume its right in the same ballpark.

John, did Sampson or Buzzetti run their car when you were turing the 33.6's?

Coming from a pro7 and ITA Mazda, I'm well familiar with a rear suspension binding, oversteering, pig.

Marcus