PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pad Material

Jiveslug
02-08-2006, 04:14 AM
Hey gang. Ok, yet another question. So, Im looking at brake pads and shoes and am wondering how much pad is enough? For instance, do I need the latest and greatest pad with the super-high temp rating to race, or will an "autocross" pad be enough for my 2300lb ITB car? Im basically looking for the pad that will give me enough braking power and durability without going overboard. The fact that I can get autocross level pads for my car vs. needing to have full race compound pads made plays into this as well. Thoughts?

JeffYoung
02-08-2006, 05:05 AM
I wouldn't skimp on the brake pads for the fronts. They will do most of the work. For the rear shoes, stock is probably fine at first.

JLawton
02-08-2006, 07:51 AM
Agreed, go with the best road race pad you can find in the front. Granted, the car is only 2300 lbs, but most of the ITB cars have little dinky pads/rotors and you will be amazed at how easy it is to over heat with the wrong pad.......

joeg
02-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Never skimp on front brakes!

Proper race pads are necessary; Hawk blues are real good.

If you are running an FWD car, stock rear drum shoes are more than adequate. Your front brakes will be doing 80% of the braking.

Renaultfool
02-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Good brakes for the front is certainly a serious consideration. To balance this against cost is also a consideration. For the past 15 years I have used the NAPA Raelok Premium product (now just their Premium brake pad) and have had no problems. I used them on my IT-B Pinto for 6 years and on my Renaults at both Nelsons and Mid-Ohio, two very different tracks, brake use wise. No one is outbraking me and they don't fade for me, so they suit me just fine and save me about $125 or more ($45 compared to about $170) a set over the Premium Carbon Metalic Racing pads. They last me about 6-8 race weekends. If your driving style has you on the brakes more than I am, you might find a point at which they fade, so no guarentees. I am able to run up front in the race group my car is in, so they work for me.
Carl

Bill Miller
02-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Two words, Hawk Blue.

tom_sprecher
02-20-2006, 08:53 PM
I run Hawk Blues on all 4 corners of the RX-7. How far can you run the pads down before it's time to change them?

Eagle7
02-20-2006, 09:11 PM
I run Hawk Blues on all 4 corners of the RX-7. How far can you run the pads down before it's time to change them?
[/b]
When I ran Blues they ate rotors faster than pads.

tom_sprecher
02-20-2006, 10:56 PM
So whadja do instead?

dickita15
02-21-2006, 06:57 AM
[/b]
I have found it to be a mistake to run them past half thickness.

Eagle7
02-21-2006, 08:43 AM
So whadja do instead?
[/b]
Switched to Carbotech. I think the dusting might be worse with fresh pads (which is a real pain with my white wheels), but they're much easier on rotors, last longer, and have great modulation. They need to be warmed up, though. My parking brake hardly works when they're cold.

tom91ita
02-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Switched to Carbotech...snip..[/b]

i am a big fan of Carbotech. call Larry at their toll free number. you can find them at:

http://www.carbotecheng.com/main.htm

Larry will likely only make recommendations after he knows what car you have, what class you race, what brake fluid you use, what tires you use, how good is your cooling, etc., etc.,

they are very easy to talk to and see their brake pads as part of the overall braking system (my words, not necessarily theirs). without knowing what the other limitations of the system, they cannot know what will work best for your application.

i have used several types in the past (including some from NAPA) and nothing has compared to the Carbotech for the front of my 2150# (with me and ballast) CRX. but then, i also use stock shoes in the back.

tom