PDA

View Full Version : Forced Air Helmets

Russell
02-07-2006, 09:55 AM
I just orderd a HANS and I need a new helmet becuase my current one is too small (painfull by the end of a 30min race). I have been thinking about getting a Force Air type helmet and I am leaning towards an Impact Super Charger. I was going to rig up a cooler and piping and use the stock blower motor already in the car (since the rules require it, I may as well put it to use). That will help keep the cost of a cool helmet system in check.

I would like to hear from those who have used a cool helmet system, and if it is worth it or not. It seems like a valid concept to keep my head cool wich will help concentration especially here in Floridas summer months.

Does anyone have experience with a side draft type helmet and a top draft like the Impact? Pros, cons?

Also, what benifits do the fancy Iridium helmet shields provide over a standard smoke shield?

I am just looking for some general info before I buy. Thanks for the help.

jamsilvia
02-07-2006, 10:09 AM
After running with the FA helmet - I won't go back. I run several enduros a year - and even in the cooler months, it's absolutely fantastic while driving hard.

For the warm months, it's great too - while everyone's sweating on the grid, it's actually nice to stay in the car with the blower on.

I rigged mine up to the stock fan too. It seems to work fine - but I also blocked up the other vents, so the air only gets pushed through to the helmet.

Mine current FA is a SA95 Bell. I think my choice for a successor will be the Bell Vortex FA.

[edit] - oh, and both of those helmets are side input.

joe

MarkosMotorsports
02-07-2006, 12:35 PM
I have both a FA helmet and a Iridium helmet shield. As jamsilvia said, the FA helmet is nice because on grid its more comfortable to be strapped in your car with your helmet on and the blower going than it is to be out of the car and during the race I find the cool air to be helpful in keeping concentration levels up.

As far as the iridium shield goes I love it! Driving directly into the sun in the late afternoon is not even a issue, actually I dont even notice the sun! Very good investment :happy204:

Eagle7
02-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Ditto. I've got a Bell M2FA.
I made my own cooler out of a small picnic cooler. I drilled two holes in it, fabbed some 1" copper pipe and fittings into a loop-and-a-half, and JB-Welded it in. Fill it with ice and turn on the fan. Make sure your fan control switch is within reach with the belts on.

evanwebb
02-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Ditto. I've got a Bell M2FA.
I made my own cooler out of a small picnic cooler. I drilled two holes in it, fabbed some 1" copper pipe and fittings into a loop-and-a-half, and JB-Welded it in. Fill it with ice and turn on the fan. Make sure your fan control switch is within reach with the belts on.
[/b]

Hey I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing. How did you hook up the hose to the cooler with the copper pipe? Can you get extra fittings for the hose to somehow adapt to the copper pipe?

JamesB
02-07-2006, 02:10 PM
I would figure since the hose is hard plastic you would just use some clamps to keep it on.

dickita15
02-07-2006, 04:12 PM
I can only echo the praise of forced air above. I have always had problems with fumes and it is a god send. I have a bell sport with a side inlet. went to a vacum clearer repair store with the helmet a bought a hose to fit. when I ahd the Hans installed they had to move the attachment point back a little and shorten the straps but it seems ok.

Russell
02-07-2006, 09:31 PM
So it seems like a good idea then.

Eagle 7 That is what I was thinking of doing, using my own cooler and some coiled copper pipe. Damn us racers think alike!

dickita 15, you have an interesting point about the side draft with the HANS. That is where the top draft Impact helmet would be beneficial.

Markos, do you have a blue iridium or gold? Or does it matter. How is it when it gets cloudy...during a race?

thanks for the comments, keep them coming! Does anyone have any cons i.e. an extra thing to disconnect when getting out of the car....

Eagle7
02-07-2006, 11:46 PM
Hey I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing. How did you hook up the hose to the cooler with the copper pipe? Can you get extra fittings for the hose to somehow adapt to the copper pipe?
[/b]
I don't remember if I've got pipe or a fitting sticking out of the cooler, but it's roughly the same size as the helmet inlet. I bought some swimming pool vacuum hose at Lowes or Home Depot to run from the cooler to the helmet. Slip fit with no fasteners works fine. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

charrbq
02-07-2006, 11:56 PM
I'm giving it serious consideration for the next helmet...next year. In the summer in Florida, Texas, or Atlanta, I'm exhausted by the end of the race. If it's really a working course, like the Sebring infield, I find myself gasping for air. A racing buddy...my age...cued me to his cool suit and helmet. He drives an ITS Z, so he's working all the time...says it makes all the difference in the way he runs a race. Highly recommended!! When you think about it, the majority of professional racers are younger and in better shape than the majority of club racers, and they run all the stuff they can to keep them comfy.

jamsilvia
02-08-2006, 12:28 PM
thanks for the comments, keep them coming! Does anyone have any cons i.e. an extra thing to disconnect when getting out of the car....
[/b]

I was suprised that it didn't bother me when I hopped outa the car when it caught a little fire. I totally forgot about the blower hose, undid the net and belts and hopped out. I felt a small tug on the helmet, but that was about it. Only later did it occur to me what that small tug was.

I had thought that with the barbs on the helmet, that the hose would catch more - but it didn't. It may be because my hose has the hose end adapters that F.A.S.T sells:

http://www.fastraceproducts.com/images/fa141lg.gif

I'd highly recommend those instead of trying to force the hose itself over the helmet port.

joe

Eagle7
02-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Here's the pics of my homemade cooler.

http://www.i2k.com/~mdoane/Imported%20Photos%2000001.jpg
http://www.i2k.com/~mdoane/Imported%20Photos%2000002.jpg
http://www.i2k.com/~mdoane/Imported%20Photos%2000003.jpg
http://www.i2k.com/~mdoane/Imported%20Photos%2000004.jpg

1" copper pipe. 1" ID couplings coming out of the cooler. Hose running up to the blower is from FAST, and came with the blower. Hose to the helmet is swimming pool vacuum hose.

Russell
02-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the pics Eagle 7

I would also be interested in pics of helmet hose routing and attatchments.

Thanks

Eagle7
02-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the pics Eagle 7

I would also be interested in pics of helmet hose routing and attatchments.

Thanks
[/b]
I just run it along the floor to the driver's side, then up and to the left of the main hoop where it connects to the left side of the helmet.

http://www.i2k.com/~mdoane/Imported%20Photos%2000006.jpg
http://www.i2k.com/~mdoane/Imported%20Photos%2000007.jpg

The tape is just to hold the hose for the picture.

Russell
02-10-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks once again Eagle 7. Your response time on the pictures is great and very helpful.

buldogge
02-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Hey Guys... I have a slightly related question.

How do you guys keep the water (melted ice) in the cooler?

As the ice melts the water invariably finds its way to the floorboards in my coolsuit set-up.

I have experimented with different water/ice levels and have tried duct tape and a bead of silicone (as a gasket of sorts)...nothing has worked.

Under braking and cornering the water always manages to find its way out to the point of low volume = not-so-cool suit.

TIA

AntonioGG
02-13-2006, 01:01 PM
I tried the silicone. It's too hard to seal properly.

Get some of that very thin weatherstripping tape. The white dense foam type, not the lighter gray stuff. I used silicone to seal around the hoses (I have one of those medical therapeutic units with the hoses coming between the cover and cooler). I put the water and ice in (to the maximum level), close the lid, seal with duct tape while I sit or kneel on the cover, then clamp the cover with the handle. I also tighten the strap quite a bit and I have zero leakage. Buy some of the cheap duct tape so you don't use the good stuff on it. The cheap stuff works fine for this.

buldogge
02-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Hey... Sounds like we have the same cooler unit.

I have also considered usuing a brushable rubber or silicone around the rim.

I used standard 3m black duct tape...maybe I'll try the old-standby silver stuff next time.

I will definitely give some foam insulation a shot...thanx for the suggestion.

I tried the silicone. It's too hard to seal properly.

Get some of that very thin weatherstripping tape. The white dense foam type, not the lighter gray stuff. I used silicone to seal around the hoses (I have one of those medical therapeutic units with the hoses coming between the cover and cooler). I put the water and ice in (to the maximum level), close the lid, seal with duct tape while I sit or kneel on the cover, then clamp the cover with the handle. I also tighten the strap quite a bit and I have zero leakage. Buy some of the cheap duct tape so you don't use the good stuff on it. The cheap stuff works fine for this.
[/b]

seckerich
02-14-2006, 07:29 PM
I built mine as well and used the cool shirt parts to finish. Had the same sloshing problem so i installed baffles like an old ice cube tray and problem solved. Just a drop in out of aluminum like a tic-tac-toe board works.

buldogge
02-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Ahh...Good idea..I'll try that.

Do you still use tape/seal after you added the baffles?

Thanx.

I built mine as well and used the cool shirt parts to finish. Had the same sloshing problem so i installed baffles like an old ice cube tray and problem solved. Just a drop in out of aluminum like a tic-tac-toe board works.
[/b]

MarkosMotorsports
02-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Markos, do you have a blue iridium or gold? Or does it matter. How is it when it gets cloudy...during a race?
[/b]

Blue Iridium... hasn't been a problem yet... if it got too gray I would switch before the session though