PDA

View Full Version : Brake Calipers?

Woody
02-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Ok, new guy to Neon racing looking for advice on brake calipers. I have to rebuild or replace my frts before I go racing this year. Do you guys just buy new calipers from the dealer when it is time, or is there a better source. Or is there possibly a rebuild kit with new pistons? I checked at my local dealer and they didn't think there was a kit to rebuild? Also wondered if all the Neons came with that plastic type piston(I know there is a name for that material?) or is that the best option?

Thanks in advance for any help and opinions.

Dave

Greg Krom
02-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Dave,

There are (or at least were) replacement pistons available through Mopar. I think I have the part number somewhere, I'll try and find it.

But the easiest way to go is to purchase rebuilt calipers at Murrays, PepBoys or Autozone. As I recall Murrays had the best price - ~ $20 each with a core. I've been going this route for the last 2-3 years and have had great luck, the calipers work as well and last every bit as long as when I rebuilt them myself. Every store I've ever called has them in stock - including the one on Dixie when I blew out a caliper during a race weekend!

Woody
02-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Greg,

Thanks for the info! I never thought to check there, just didn't think they would carry them. That job just got easier!

I really owe both you and Steve C. a beer when the season starts, you guys always take the time awnser my questions, and always have the awnsers!

Thanks.

Dave

64oeg
02-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Woody, I second Greg's recommendation. While not a Neon racer myself, I work with a couple, plus we service a couple more.

Murray's et al, are if not cheaper than the Dealership rebuild kits, are whithin a couple of bucks. Add in your labor to rebuild and then do the math.

The second gen Neons use the phenolic pistons, not sure if the 1st gens used them or if they are legal. We've seen problems with the phenolic pistons though. We've seen where the brakes get so hot that it will actually cause them to disintergrate(sc).

I'm sure Rabbit 07 will be chiming in soon. He's one of the ITA Neon racers I work with, and is much morer knowledgable on them than I.

Hope this helps,

George

Jan in Omaha
02-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Woody, I second Greg's recommendation. While not a Neon racer myself, I work with a couple, plus we service a couple more.

Murray's et al, are if not cheaper than the Dealership rebuild kits, are whithin a couple of bucks. Add in your labor to rebuild and then do the math.

The second gen Neons use the phenolic pistons, not sure if the 1st gens used them or if they are legal. We've seen problems with the phenolic pistons though. We've seen where the brakes get so hot that it will actually cause them to disintergrate(sc).

I'm sure Rabbit 07 will be chiming in soon. He's one of the ITA Neon racers I work with, and is much morer knowledgable on them than I.

Hope this helps,

George
[/b]

I did the rebuild - once. Been doing the parts store remans ever since. The phenolic piston will turn to chalk after too many/much heat cycles. As cheap insurance I carry a spare set of new calipers to the track (and rotors and pads) It's only a 10 minute job to replace the whole caliper. I make sure I check them after every session. Find yourself a pair of calipers at the junk yard to use as cores to use when you buy them. Then you can just replace as needed and use your heat chalked ones as cores for their replacements. I have heard of a metal piston version of the remans but no-one seems to carry it or be able to order it.

Rabbit07
02-08-2006, 12:52 PM
No Need to chime in. Everybody here is correct. There are other options but none of them are legal :)

fulscaltyz
07-11-2006, 10:45 PM
:119: So why mention that their are other options if they are not leagl? Are thir some secret factory parts out there?

Rabbit07
07-12-2006, 07:13 AM
:119: So why mention that their are other options if they are not leagl? Are thir some secret factory parts out there?
[/b]

I wouldn't calll them FACTORY! :unsure:

fulscaltyz
07-26-2006, 10:02 PM
:024: Autozone carries the reman calipers with metal pistons. I think they were around fifty bucks with a core.. So Chris sounds like you know somethings you could share with us. Have you tried them? How did you learn about the "other" solutions?

Rabbit07
07-27-2006, 07:40 AM
Lets just say they cost more than $50 each :unsure:

fulscaltyz
07-30-2006, 09:45 PM
So money not withstanding what are they? The rest of the neon comunity would probably like to know. I thought this forum was about helping to share information to make these cars be more competitive. Not just about insinuating things that "can" be done. Sounds like you might know someone at dodge or be a dodge engineer yourself Chris.

Rabbit07
07-31-2006, 08:10 AM
The performance of the production piece is that it doesn't transfer any heat into to brake fluid causing it to boil. The material it is made of will break down and cause failure. The aftermarket steel pistons are fine because they do not break down and cause the pedal to go away, but they transfer the heat and boil the fluid. The steel pieces are not IT legal because they were never available on the car ever. The other two options are; A steel cap on the composite piston which just buys you a bit more time before the piston breaks up, or a piston made of titanium, which will cost you big $. The titanium transfers little to not heat into the fluid. None of these choices are IT Legal, use at your own risk......

A titanium shim between the pad and piston would be legal and is effective in reducing the heat transfer.

How is that for some info?

No I don't work for Diamler Chrysler, but I do work for a supplier to them.