PDA

View Full Version : ITS/KP/Spec E30 issues

leggwork
02-06-2006, 07:37 PM
I am building a new 89 325i racecar and want to make sure it can run in ITS as well as BMW CR and NASA Spec E30. I want to remove the whole sunroof "cartridge" - the part the sunroof slides back into over the back seat. Do you guys read the following ITS rule as allowing this (sunroof frame)?

Also, can the power steering pump and associated hoses be removed? I only saw a rule that said they could be replaced.
thanks,
bruce

f.Carpets,center consoles,floor mats,headliners,sun
roof liner and frame,dome lights,grab handles,and their
insulating,attaching or operating mechanisms may be
removed.Door interior trim panels may be replaced with
0.060 ” aluminum securely attached to the door..All other
interior trim panels,except the dashboard,may be removed.
Other than to provide for the installation of required safety
equipment or other authorized modifications,no other driver/
passenger compartment alterations or gutting are permitted.
The door window glass,window operating mechanism,and

chuck baader
02-06-2006, 08:58 PM
My suggestion would be to build to SCCA specs. That way you can run SCCA or BMW but not Spec e30. The spec e30 class is very restrictive on normal race items like headers, rear gear ratio, exhause, interior, etc. Depending on the age of the car, some e30s qualify for vintage also. The other venue you can run with that car would be NASA pro sedan....that venue goes strictly by horsepower to weight to classify cars and your car will certainly be competitive in thier class structure. Welcome to racing. Chuck

note, under SCCA rules, the whole sunroof assembly can be removed but the stock sunroof or metal of the same thickness must be used to fill the hole. The power steering in its entirety must remain on the car under SCCA rules. Reading the GCR is the best way along with asking the rules nerds on this forum.

Greg Amy
02-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Chuck, I don't know the Spec E30 rules, but from your description could you not build to Spec E30 and run any of the above groups? Granted, you'll probably only be competitive in Spec E30 but it would be a great way to build track time... - GA

leggwork
02-06-2006, 11:26 PM
thanks for the info Chuck.
I'm building a spec e30 because I like the idea of almost equally prepared cars and limitations on the $ that I can spend on the car. I have a 2.5 e30 M3 right now that is too tempting to modify since it is in ITE and DM. Spec e30 has relaxed some of the rules about interior bits and the exhaust in particular this year. I will also run in the GTS Challenge series until more spec e30 cars are in this area.

Greg - you can read the spec e30 rules at www.spece30.com

thanks,
bruce

ed325its
02-07-2006, 12:23 AM
In ITS the entire sunroof frame may be removed. Get a friend as it is a two person job in the E30. The frame is spot welded at the A, B, & C pillars and weighs about 70 lbs. You will need to re-insert the sunroof skin in the roof by welding or making clips to hold it place. My fabricator has made aluminum clips for this purpose.

I do not know the rules for Spec E30, but the original intent was to IT rules so I would expect a car built to SCCA specs would crossover very well.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions as I have built 2 E30's ('84 318i ITB & '87 325is ITS). Its always a pleasure to welcome a fellow BMW racer.

leggwork
02-07-2006, 12:39 AM
thanks for the info and the offer, Ed.

Is there anything that you would do different now that you've done 2 e30's?

cheers,
bruce

JoelG
02-07-2006, 10:05 AM
If you are building a spec e30 you need to ask your questions on their board. Spec e30 is far more restricted than either KP or ITS. Lots of things you might take for granted as allowed are NOT allowed in spec e30.

http://spece30.northamericanbavarianracing.com/

leggwork
02-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Hi Joel,
I know the spec e30 rules very well. Right now, I'm trying to make sure I don't do something illegal in ITS that is allowed in spec e30 (e.g. removing the power steering).
thanks,
bruce

If you are building a spec e30 you need to ask your questions on their board. Spec e30 is far more restricted than either KP or ITS. Lots of things you might take for granted as allowed are NOT allowed in spec e30.

http://spece30.northamericanbavarianracing.com/
[/b]