PDA

View Full Version : fuel port valve....

flaboy
02-04-2006, 02:40 PM
ok..lets all agree i'm a dumb ass sometimes....bought a fuel port valve from a guy on line...very nice piece,gave me some instructions...i can't figure it out.I'm lost...any one have any ideas??

Thanks for the help

Tim

I should tell ya its a stock F/I rabitt.1979.

told ya i was a dumb ass!!lol

charrbq
02-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Welcome to my world, Tim. Did the same thing several years ago. Don't know where the dang thing is. The instructions, the fuel port, my car, and my brain never matched up. Fortunately, I'm too slow for them to worry about. I've never been checked, but it's becoming more and more rare for tech to check cars or classes. As I say that, I'll probably get popped at the next race.

JamesB
02-04-2006, 03:09 PM
ok..lets all agree i'm a dumb ass sometimes....bought a fuel port valve from a guy on line...very nice piece,gave me some instructions...i can't figure it out.I'm lost...any one have any ideas??

Thanks for the help

Tim

I should tell ya its a stock F/I rabitt.1979.

told ya i was a dumb ass!!lol
[/b]

Do you have a picture of the valve? The one I have in my car is the BSI valve and its attached in line with the feed off the fuel pump at the CIS distributer. If its that same one its an easy install.

racer_tim
02-04-2006, 07:44 PM
I also got a fancy one, but decided on a true backyard mechanic's version.

Since I have to run a cell in Production, it was very easy to put in a "T" valve on the return line that dump's back into the cell. A single 6" of fuel hose with a bolt stuck in the end verifies that it won't leak.

This was it's on the "low pressure" side of things, and can be done with the car off. I tried to put the fancy one on the "high pressure" side of things, but had to have the ignition on for it to work.

Didn't like that part of a hot ignition, and dumping fuel into a bottle.

Yes, I know that 17.4.2 states that the port must be between the tank and the fuel injectors, but it doesn't say that it can't on the "return line" from the injectors to the tank.

Conover
02-04-2006, 09:42 PM
I think on most CIS cars the valve will just replace one of your banjo bolts, it should be pretty easy, having it on the high pressure side also gives the added benifit of having a fuel pressure/volume test port built right in.

racer_tim
02-05-2006, 12:32 AM
Conover, that's what I tried to do. But try to take a sample from that open line, with all of the fuel pressure issues with CIS. That's why I went the other direction. The low pressure return side will allow you to extract the sample with the car running and not notice that there is an open port.

flaboy
02-05-2006, 02:00 PM
OK...fuel sample valve is installed...just need to look one more time with a better attatude...the only thing i don't like is having to crank motor for it to work. But what the **** it's installed and ready for the savanaha school this weekend.

Tim

dickita15
02-05-2006, 03:08 PM
If you have a long enough hose from the port you can run the car while taking a sample instead of cranking it on the starter.

zracre
02-05-2006, 10:52 PM
I know its not a VW, but I went to Home Depot and bought brass t fittings and a ball valve...seems to work fine with no leaks yet...

JamesB
02-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Well you can always put a long enough hose on it and leave the motor running, with the CIS pump pushing at 80PSI you can bleed off some of the fuel without stalling the motor. The alternative is to just jump the fuel pump relay circuit for the test, all that takes is a small piece of wire will the proper blade ends crimped on.

Greg Amy
02-06-2006, 01:57 PM
...a small piece of wire will the proper blade ends crimped on.[/b]
Hell, I ran a Rabbit in college for six months with just a small wire with bare ends jammed into the fuse block...'til the fusebox fried...

JamesB
02-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Oh yeah, I even used a piece of safety wire to get my rabbit home. It didnt catch fire, but that area of the fuse box did have significant heat distortion. Funny thing about bad fuel pumps.