PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Add Weight?

Jeremy Billiel
02-04-2006, 11:29 AM
With all the weght adjustments, we need to bolt more weight to the floor. Lead is obviously the heaviest, but also the most expensive. Has anyone encountered a better material and a good mounting system yet?

JamesB
02-04-2006, 12:06 PM
I am using 35# gym weights. drill two holes in it, mount it. I got them from someone used for 10 bucks.

wm577
02-05-2006, 04:27 PM
for FWD front heavy car like a GSR the best would be a thick lead rear anti-roll bar :unsure:

I see guys use the gym weights all the time, seems like a good way to me.

CaptainWho
02-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Chocolate milkshakes and pizza and beer. :birra:

joeg
02-06-2006, 11:38 AM
For FWD: A heavy spare tire in the spare tire well;

A nice heavy Stainless steel exhaust system; and

An Accusump system

JamesB
02-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Well I dont have the budget for accusump, I already have my spare in, but I still need another 70lbs in the car to make min weight. I was thinking of running only 50lbs and a full tank of fuel leaving me probably at weight when I get off the track.

tom91ita
02-11-2006, 02:07 PM
i too am in need of weight and some of the things i did in the past to save weight just don't make sense now.

i have a skinny mountain climbing strap for the rear tow connection but would really prefer to use some steel now that my car has dropped from ita to itb ('85 honda crx si) and i need to add about 170#'s.

i borrowed some lead from a friend and decided that steel was better. the lead would deform and become loose. (you can tighten it just so far and the washers would go into the lead). i know that this is not the same thing, but i really didn't like the idea of lead shavings being formed in the car when the piece would start rubbing and potentially get breathed. the difference in density between steel and lead just made the block about 3/8" higher.

if i add a tow hook in the back and attach it with some steel as an attachment plate/reinforcement, how much is too much steel? i tried asking kansas and was basically told, don't use too much. :018:

since the typical backing plates are 3/16" for bolt in cages, i asked if that would be too much and got the impression that it would be okay. i just don't want to find out that my idea of enough and someone else's idea of too much is the same thing.

my idea is to reinforce on the outside of the car between the bumper posts and attach a 2" farm implement type clevis there. will it be heavier than a piece of 1/4" wide nylon strapping? you bet. will it help my weight distribution? absolutely. will my car be less likely to be damaged due to pulling out of a sandtrap? i certainly would like to think so.

should i sketch this up and send to denver for approval? i was planning to keep the thing symmetrical rather than try to bias the weight to the right rear in part to thwart the claim that i am doing this for an immoral purpose. but then again, if i was adding an accusump, or a on board fire system, you'd all think i was crazy for not adding where the weight would be the most advantageous, right?

i have seen references to changes in the ballast rules. does anyone have any idea of what is being proposed?

tia, tom

Banzai240
02-11-2006, 02:30 PM
With all the weght adjustments, we need to bolt more weight to the floor. Lead is obviously the heaviest, but also the most expensive. Has anyone encountered a better material and a good mounting system yet?
[/b]

I used 3" wide x 1/2" thick steel, cut into 12" long pieces. I don't recall the exact weight of each, but I believe it's around 7-9 lbs... Might be a bit more, I'll have to go weigh them again (I haven't used them for some time, since they changed the Radial Sedan weight rules and I no longer have to weigh 2850lbs! :wacko: ) My car has the "Speed World Challenge" rewards weight ballast mounts in it, so I made these to fit those mounts... Each has two holes drilled through it for 1/2" bolts...

I stacked them up to get to the appropriate weight, then tack-welded them together to make them meet the min/max ballast size rules... They bolt into the mounts VERY sucurely and look clean and professional, and are in increments that are easy to handle...

Best of all, the steel is relatively inexpensive and clean to work with... Most expensive part was paying the shop to cut and drill the pieces for me (I know have a drill press and would do it myself if I had it to do over again...)...

Hope this helps...

Racerboy03
02-11-2006, 04:38 PM
:bash_1_:

Andy Bettencourt
02-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Deleted out of respect for the Markster....

AB

:lol: :P :D

charrbq
02-11-2006, 09:31 PM
I don't see any smilies so I will say it...those don't weigh 10, 20 or 50 pounds, the provide that much RESISTANCE...

AB
[/b]
Now THAT'S funny! :lol:

Racerboy03
02-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Damn, I could have sworn the guy said they "weighed" 50 lbs each. Good thing I didnt spend over 20 bucks on it... :bash_1_: :bash_1_:

Time to : :birra: :birra: