PDA

View Full Version : What the $%# is with the NISMO motor mounts?

jamsilvia
02-03-2006, 02:06 PM
(this is for a S13 240SX, btw)

So I bought the NISMO motor mounts, and just installed them with my new non-holed motor. I was told by a friend that they were taller....but I didn't know how much exactly.

They're QUITE a bit taller. About 1/2" or so. Looking at where the oil pan sits compared to stock height, it sits close to 1/2" higher above the bottom of the subframe than the stock mounts.

Does anyone know why the heck this is? Seems stupid, as all it's doing is raising the CG of the motor on me.

Has anyone installed them on a S14? I haven't compared them to my S14's mounts....and I really don't know if the S14's front subframe has wider mount points (tho I can go home and measure it).

joe

stevel
02-03-2006, 02:34 PM
(this is for a S13 240SX, btw)

So I bought the NISMO motor mounts, and just installed them with my new non-holed motor. I was told by a friend that they were taller....but I didn't know how much exactly.

They're QUITE a bit taller. About 1/2" or so. Looking at where the oil pan sits compared to stock height, it sits close to 1/2" higher above the bottom of the subframe than the stock mounts.

Does anyone know why the heck this is? Seems stupid, as all it's doing is raising the CG of the motor on me.

Has anyone installed them on a S14? I haven't compared them to my S14's mounts....and I really don't know if the S14's front subframe has wider mount points (tho I can go home and measure it).

joe
[/b]

Could the height difference be due to the stock mounts have just squished over time and these are brandy new and that's the actual height. Also, Per the letter of the law, they're actually illegal in IT.

s

Greg Amy
02-03-2006, 04:12 PM
Also, Per the letter of the law, they're actually illegal in IT.[/b]
Yup, only stock mounts allowed.

Don't feel bad, I made the same mistake: I put in Energy Suspensions bushings for my first few races in 2003 until somebody pointed out that the bright red mounts were illegal. I had to re-read the rules and slap my forehead D'OH! That's OK, since a good friend of mine ended up with a free set of nice motor mounts... - GA

Joe Harlan
02-03-2006, 09:47 PM

Don't feel bad, I made the same mistake: I put in Energy Suspensions bushings for my first few races in 2003 until somebody pointed out that the bright red mounts were illegal. I had to re-read the rules and slap my forehead D'OH! That's OK, since a good friend of mine ended up with a free set of nice motor mounts... - GA
[/b]
The rubber in the NISMO mounst are a much harder durometer rubber and they don't sag like the stockers. But it is correct they are not legal which sucks also if you already own them.

timrogers
02-05-2006, 09:19 AM

[/b]
And I appreciate it!
Just to note that I have an NX2000 for the street in addition to the racecar project.

jamsilvia
02-06-2006, 10:53 AM
The rubber in the NISMO mounst are a much harder durometer rubber and they don't sag like the stockers. But it is correct they are not legal which sucks also if you already own them.
[/b]

<smacks head>
D&#39;oh!! No - that&#39;s cool. I&#39;ll just pull them out and put them in my S14 instead (which is a street car)....so at least it&#39;s not wasted money!

I&#39;d have figured since Nissan made them harder, and knew that they wouldn&#39;t compress/sag, that they&#39;d just make them shorter.

joe