PDA

View Full Version : 5.12 Final drive with Guru LSD, IS this set up need Diff cooler?

Devil-fc
02-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Recenly, I install this on my ITE RX-7. and from what I heard you need to use Diff cooler on this type of Final drive special if you have Torsen LSD. But Recenly when I call ISC and Speedsource INC. They told the Diff cooler is no need for A Regional type of Race.? Did any of IT Fourm member run 5.12 final drive without pump? I Still plan to put the pump in near fucture, but since I am only testing my car setup right now( i will do only about 10-15 min of Testing each time) just wonder can I got away with out using a pump. AND BTW what kind of temp is consider over heat for Diff 250+ ?

thanks for ur time
J

bldn10
02-03-2006, 01:27 PM
J, I've never heard of a Guru LSD so I have no way of knowing if it requires any special treatment - have you tried asking whoever you bought it from? Diff. coolers are illegal in ITS so all of us who have 5:12s have run them w/o coolers, even in enduros.

Devil-fc
02-03-2006, 10:02 PM
GURU TORSEN LSD is LSD made by GURU racing in AUS http://www.gurumotorsports.com/. And from what I know. If you use Torsen type of LSD in 5.12, unlike Clutch it will heat up the Diff very very fast.

seckerich
02-04-2006, 01:00 AM
GURU TORSEN LSD is LSD made by GURU racing in AUS http://www.gurumotorsports.com/. And from what I know. If you use Torsen type of LSD in 5.12, unlike Clutch it will heat up the Diff very very fast.
[/b]
If you run ITE and it is treated as a catch all class--use the cooler. The style of diff has really no difference on the temps unless you are getting excess slipping. The torsen usually runs cooler but the clutch unit should be no different if the preload is correct and the ramp angles are done right. Vent the case or the foaming will cause more damage than anything. Bad backlash settings will melt one as well.

Devil-fc
02-04-2006, 05:59 PM
If you run ITE and it is treated as a catch all class--use the cooler. The style of diff has really no difference on the temps unless you are getting excess slipping. The torsen usually runs cooler but the clutch unit should be no different if the preload is correct and the ramp angles are done right. Vent the case or the foaming will cause more damage than anything. Bad backlash settings will melt one as well.
[/b]

I got this diff set up from MAZDATRIX. They uesd this setup on their EP FC3S. They told me they run with out diff cooler at first, and blow the The Diff in Two weekend of RACE( but national race is much longer then regional and the EP engine spin much faster 10K). BTW ISC build the DIFF I bought. so it should be build fine