PDA

View Full Version : wheel studs

terry
02-03-2006, 01:01 AM
I'm replacing the stub axels and bearings on my 240z and would like to use 1/2 x 20 studs. Does anyone make a stud to fit without modifing the the holes in the stub axel?

turboICE
02-03-2006, 01:06 AM
ARP makes a few in that diameter and pitch - just find one with knurls that match the closest.

Why not 12 X 1.5mm though?

Joe Harlan
02-03-2006, 01:43 AM
Nope! your gonna hve to drill. 12mm = 0.4724395 so the hole is too small for even a 1/2 stud.
I have a way of installing 1/2 inch studs that doest tear out and they dont need welded if you want to drop them off.

Greg Amy
02-03-2006, 12:01 PM
I use ARP #100-7702, which is a 7/16-20 stud. It presses right into my B13 hubs in place of the original 12mm studs, no drilling required.

I use these because 1) they're easily available at any speed shop versus the metric ones, 2) the nuts are available at any parts store as opposed to metric ones, 3) they're longer than most available metric ones, and 4) they have a tapered nose to minimize cross-threading, especially in high-stress conditions (e.g., quick wheel changes).

Good product.

terry
02-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have 1\2 x 20 on the front hubs and because of being lazy, I would like to not have to change sockets. Joe, I'll give you a call. Any new projects this past year?

turboICE
02-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Ahh makes sense terry - though 19mm and 3/4 are the same interchangable size ;)

My car has SAE on it to from when the owner had the same validly held views that Greg mentioned.

The following is not for you Terry because of your SAE fronts, but for other readers.

I disagree that any of those points remain valid today Greg - ARP makes tapered nose 12mm studs and with the Japanese market driving a lot of stocking at parts stores I haven't found a place that doesn't carry 12mmX1.5mm lug nuts in various forms. Not to say you couldn't find a backwoods place that doesn't have them - but I think it would be more common that they were stocked than not - and certainly they could be swiped of any Honda laying around - with their torque they only need two lug nuts per wheel anyway.

Stocking of the actual studs would be harder to find granted, but I would carry extras anyway rather than having to leave the track for either SAE or metric.