PDA

View Full Version : Almost ready

eMKay
01-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Installed the seat, new net (thanks Joeg!), redid the gauges, made many improvements to the wiring, sort of fixed the exhaust (still might get a new one fabbed), almost ready to go but I still have a lot of things to fix but they are mostly small things to improve reliability. More wiring work, new vacuum lines, fix the brake lines that are zip-tied to the cage, stuff like that. Anyone see anything in the pics that I missed?

http://www.ubrfvideo.com/eMKay/gti11.jpg

http://www.ubrfvideo.com/eMKay/gti12.jpg

Seat installed and gauges before making new dash panels
http://www.ubrfvideo.com/eMKay/gti17.jpg

I put the oil temp and pressure where I can see them through the wheel, and the water and volt up where they were before, but now they are not facing away. I would like to rotate all the gauges so ideal is straight up, but I don't know where they are supposed to be with this car yet, what should they be? I have an oil cooler and oversized filter if that helps. where should the pressure be? And water temp? Voltage is 14 or so, it looks like I can just turn that one now.
http://www.ubrfvideo.com/eMKay/gti21.jpg

Ready for enduros :)
http://www.ubrfvideo.com/eMKay/gti20.jpg

racer_tim
01-30-2006, 01:01 AM
Window net and belts would be good.

As far as water temp. between 190 and 220 is normal

Just make sure that both oil and water temp are at the same ends. I mean, if you have your oil way too cool, you don't want the water to be way hot, and visa versa.

You might also want to get some tow hooks or eyes too.

eMKay
01-30-2006, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the info.

Window net is installed, belts will be ordered soon, car has 4 tow eyes, one at each corner, I painted the rear red, will do the front soon and add arrows on the bumpers.

Bill Miller
01-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Car looks good! :023: The color reminds me a lot of my old car.

JLawton
01-30-2006, 09:03 AM
Reliability and safety, everything else is a distant second!! Looks good though!

Make sure your tow hooks are legel according to the GCR, not just the factory hooks.

Oh, having fun is second behind reliability and safety!! Have at it!!

I assume you'll be at LRP and NHIS for racing? (I just got rid of my ITB GTi this weekend, sad to see it go!!) It's a good group of ITBers in the Northeast. If you need help with ANYTHING, let me know.

Are you going to the NHIS school?

zracre
01-30-2006, 09:30 AM
I would probably swap the oil temp and water temp locations as the water temp responds faster to a problem and should be part of your guage scan. On shorter tracks you dont have much time to look at them and it is easier to see water temp rise fast...if it does you can scan the other guages. If the oil temp is real high and you look to the water guage it will probably be of teh chart :119: just my .02

RSTPerformance
01-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Looks like you need a Farfromaudi sticker!!!

Also check the tow hooks, the factory ones are not legal (errrr) so you will need to make something up. On the Audi I took some cable and wraped it around the bumper posts... connected the ends of the cable with cable ties, and then tucked the cable under the bumper and duct taped it up so it isn't visible unless you need it (hopefully you never will). I would still use your factory hooks for tiedowns on a trailer.

Anyway excited to run with you this year, come hang out and let us know if you need any help. We have a great group of people who help us and we don't mind sharing!!!

Raymond

joeg
01-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Mike--PM me about exhaust--if you want to fab a new one.

Bill Miller
01-31-2006, 09:12 AM
Why aren't the factory VW tow hooks legal? Was there some official ruling on this somewhere?

itracer
01-31-2006, 10:10 AM
Why aren't the factory VW tow hooks legal? Was there some official ruling on this somewhere?
[/b]

Factory tow hooks on the VWs are not big enough, so they do not comply with the rules. I used cable last year, but they pulled right out. I switched to the locking rings from the hardware store. I tape them up to the bumper so they don't clatter around underneath.

JamesB
01-31-2006, 11:01 AM
I need to do the same. But I was considering welding a 2" ID ring to the stock front and rear locations in a way they wont prodtrude from the bumper. Its on the to-do list for February.

ryotko
01-31-2006, 09:31 PM
For the cheap and easy route you can always use a spectra climbing runner looped through the factory tow point.
-Bob
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDis...vcat=REI_SEARCH (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=1091&parent_category_rn=4500701&vcat=REI_SEARCH)

eimc
02-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Yo Bob Paul here just wanted to shout at ya. See you at pagoda hill . Paul

ryotko
02-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Yo Bob Paul here just wanted to shout at ya. See you at pagoda hill . Paul
[/b]
Hey Paul,

It's so nice to see you still have the Golf. I hope to be out before Pagoda this year but we'll see.

-Bob

eMKay
02-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone.

So the factory tow hooks are not legal, but a $10 climbing runner attached to them is? :blink:

Why? Are the factory ones too small? Because they sure are strong enough.

gran racing
02-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Too small; not easily accessable when in a sand trap...

JamesB
02-02-2006, 03:35 PM
I would be surprised if they where larger then 1"ID. and I think I found something that will work well, be easy to access in a sand trap and make tech as well as EV happy.

shwah
02-02-2006, 06:45 PM
I would be surprised if they where larger then 1"ID. and I think I found something that will work well, be easy to access in a sand trap and make tech as well as EV happy.
[/b]

And that is.....

JamesB
02-02-2006, 11:15 PM
I found some stuff at the hardware store while picking up some stuff for mounting my balast. I will post the picture this weekend since its ont he Saturday fabrication list. But its 2" solid rings I got for a buck a piece that I am going to weld up with some steel scrap I have here and use the same bolt locations that secure the front rebar with intigrated toe hooks for the front. The rear I am going to fab into using the rear bumper or weld it to the driver rear toe hook.

I will gladly post all the pictures of the progress and final product for everyone.

mgyip
02-03-2006, 11:29 AM
So the factory tow hooks are not legal, but a $10 climbing runner attached to them is? :blink:

Why? Are the factory ones too small? Because they sure are strong enough.
[/b]

The spec is for a 2" ID aperture - that way EV can quickly hook on to your vehicle with their tow vehicle without having to resort to various J-hooks that fit the factory opening (or in some cases, openings in the undercarriage). Its all about speed in collecting your car in an emergency. Every tow truck worth its salt has "the right stuff" on board but with a herd of nut jobs whizzing by your disabled car on a racetrack, that EV worker is more concerned about moving you NOW rather than searching for the proper hook.

In other words a 2" ID aperture is sufficient for most any tow vehicle hook from a tug-em strap to a winch hook to collect your car ASAP.

Not trying to piss in your Wheaties but having friends who run a towing service AND EV, I hear this drivel constantly - it must have sunk into the dark recesses of the cavity that I call a brain. ;)

eMKay
02-03-2006, 12:53 PM
The spec is for a 2" ID aperture - that way EV can quickly hook on to your vehicle with their tow vehicle without having to resort to various J-hooks that fit the factory opening (or in some cases, openings in the undercarriage). Its all about speed in collecting your car in an emergency. Every tow truck worth its salt has "the right stuff" on board but with a herd of nut jobs whizzing by your disabled car on a racetrack, that EV worker is more concerned about moving you NOW rather than searching for the proper hook.

In other words a 2" ID aperture is sufficient for most any tow vehicle hook from a tug-em strap to a winch hook to collect your car ASAP.

Not trying to piss in your Wheaties but having friends who run a towing service AND EV, I hear this drivel constantly - it must have sunk into the dark recesses of the cavity that I call a brain. ;)
[/b]

Ok, that clears it up, thanks.

eMKay
02-09-2006, 10:00 PM
What if I just cut one of the loops off and bolt or weld on a larger one? One on the front and one on the back?

Conover
02-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Kinda funny I was moving a car in the yard behind the shop today, I hooked the tow strap to the stock loop(mk2), I pulled it a few feet and then it just broke right off! Reminded me of this thread. This was on grass, in nuetral, will full tires, going slow, and snap! So yeah, maybe the stock ones aren't all that great. :birra:

eMKay
02-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Kinda funny I was moving a car in the yard behind the shop today, I hooked the tow strap to the stock loop(mk2), I pulled it a few feet and then it just broke right off! Reminded me of this thread. This was on grass, in nuetral, will full tires, going slow, and snap! So yeah, maybe the stock ones aren't all that great. :birra:
[/b]

Yeah, maybe not. I guess a cable eye attached to the bumper mounting bolts would be a better idea.

eMKay
03-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Little update, belts in, exhaust work continues, fancy GRM number panels. I had flanges welded to the header and a downpipe made, just want to experiment with the exhaust now. I was thinking just a muffler with a downturn right in the middle of the car sort of where the picture ends, or off to the passenger side but that's longer, it will be quieter in the car but what is better for power? Short exhaust or a little longer? I ran it with no muffler just the way it is but it's really loud.

http://www.ubrfvideo.com/eMKay/gti24.jpg

http://www.ubrfvideo.com/eMKay/gti25.jpg

http://www.ubrfvideo.com/eMKay/gti27.jpg

JamesB
03-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Looking good man. I will snap a few of my own tonight. The belts are in and I started checking all 4 corners just to find I have a seized up rear caliper. I guess thats good that I checked that now instead of after I bled out the entire system. So tomorrow I will order up a rebuild and hopefully have her all wrapped up later this week. I still have to get the new tires mounted later this week and finish mounting the ballast. My tow hook idea is idle and I think I may be changing my setup but soon to come on that.

RSTPerformance
03-06-2006, 11:08 PM
Looks Great!!!! Excited to run with you!!!

Raymond

CaptJon
03-07-2006, 09:09 PM
My ITC car with the 1.5 only makes 93db at Nelson's. It runs with a header to a straight pipe that is turned down right behind the drivers seat. No muffler at all. I know I've seen other VW's running there without a muffler too and not hit the noise limit. Just some food for thought.

JamesB
03-07-2006, 10:25 PM
It really does depend on the motor. A built 16v will hit sound if they dont do the exhaust right. My car was buildt for waterford hills, and I need to see what I come in for sound at the school. I am going to change that too after I get some opinions from others once I get her to the shop.

I feel like im taking two steps back for every step forward today. I got the replacement caliper and it turns out the siezed caliper killed the pads, so I go down to get a set of cheap pads and of course not in stock, wont have them till tomorrow or thursday. But I did my rust repair and now just waiting for the primer to dry so i can put a fresh coat of black on it.

pictures to come, I probably wont get to work on my ideas for the tow hooks untill after my school unless I manage to make some good progress on the through the week.

eMKay
03-08-2006, 01:20 PM
My ITC car with the 1.5 only makes 93db at Nelson's. It runs with a header to a straight pipe that is turned down right behind the drivers seat. No muffler at all. I know I've seen other VW's running there without a muffler too and not hit the noise limit. Just some food for thought.
[/b]

Maybe it will be ok, it's tough to tell when it's running in my garage. I guess I'll just add the downturn and see how it goes at the school.

fairgentleman Z
03-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Maybe it will be ok, it's tough to tell when it's running in my garage. I guess I'll just add the downturn and see how it goes at the school.
[/b]

They'll just give you friendly notice at school :)

eMKay
03-08-2006, 09:27 PM
[/b]

That's cool, thanks. Saw your SE-R at HC, the :ph34r: work looks fantastic so far, I'll use them when I need my next one done or current one fixed.

JLawton
03-09-2006, 08:08 AM
[/b]

If you're going to NHIS for your school, they will ask you to fix it or not come back. They're pretty strict about it.

That being said, I don't "think" you'll have much of a problem.

But, you may want to bring a back up plan. You don't want to "not finish" your first school.

Maybe have your down turn removable and get a cheap (Summit Racing?) performance muffler ready to bolt in. I think I paid $20 for the one on my GTi.

eMKay
03-10-2006, 03:31 PM
UPDATE: I finished the exhaust, I bought a $25 Thrush glasspack and clamped it onto the downpipe I had fabricated, the muffler is so long I almost doubted it would fit, I had to cut the downpipe about 2" from where the bend meets the straight part, then clapmped the 28" long muffler onto the pipe, and cut a downturn out of the leftover bend material the guys at Hybrid Connection gave me. I clamped that piece on and hung it with a nice strong exhaust hanger from right at the end of the muffler. The result is a pretty quiet exhaust with hopefully little restriction. The muffler is 2.5" same as the pipe...and almost as long as the downpipe :D . It all fits perfectly and allows me to swap out the muffler when this one wears out easily.

Here is a short video, it seems louder in the vid...probably because it's only about 18" from the tip, but it's a pretty mellow sound that won't give me a headache.

Right click and save it. 1.4mb WMV (http://www.ubrfvideo.com/eMKay/GTI_exhaust.wmv)

JamesB
03-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Sounds good man. all my parts are finally in. So tonight ill finish up the brakes and tuneup, tomorrow i will replace the bent control arm and mount my ballast. My exhaust is similar to yours with just a 22" glasspack in the center of the car, but the original owner ran at waterford hills so it goes all the way to the rear of the car and points away from sound. If john thinks I am better off changing it I will let him do it when the car comes home from the alignment rack.

Once I wash all the dirt from my excusion off the car I will post up some fresh pictures of inside and out. I been so busy with work and trying to get ready for my school in 2 weeks I feel like im going insane.