PDA

View Full Version : Roz Rosintoski photos

aeshultz
01-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Imagine my suprize when I opened an envelope today to find photos of my car from....July 4th Freedom regional....with a bill. Did I order these? Don't think so.
Really- I've heard of this guy's tactics before. How do you guys deal with this? Am I going to have to be mailing back photos after every race? And July - must need some Christmas money :(
Alan

Jake
01-26-2006, 10:03 PM
No worries. Just don't mail them back and ignore his future reminders. He'll stop taking pictures of your car and sending them to you. Problem solved.

Tactic shmactic. Personally, his method works fine for me and I get to see the pics before I buy them this way. I usually buy a few from him every once in a while. He's a great photographer.

bldn10
01-30-2006, 01:32 PM
I don't like the idea of having to mail them back at my expense but I don't think it is fair for me to just keep them. Like all unsolicited mailings you can just throw them away w/o paying anything but if you keep them, you owe him. I must say that these are the sharpest photos I have ever seen of my car at speed. Or sitting still for that matter. I'm going to buy a couple and send the others back.

gran racing
01-30-2006, 03:09 PM
Alan,

If you don't want to look at them, just don't open the envelope and write "return to sender". USPS will then send it back to him w/o you having to pay for shipping.

Although it is a bit questionable of a tactic, I'll probably be purchasing a few of the last Summit Point batch which I wouldn't have otherwise. Oh well.

joeg
01-30-2006, 03:31 PM
I personally like his "tactic" and always return the ones I don't like and pay for the ones I like and keep.

This guy has been in business for a long time and is "ethical". Brown employs the same "tactic", so it is not that out of the ordinary.

We usually see his stuff more from the Glen than Mid-OHio, however.

StephF
01-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Roz has been a regular around New England for forever. He's a good person and a good photographer. He has a full time day job, so perhaps that explains the lag time in his getting shots out to you.
If you don't want photos, call or email him and tell him and he won't bother you with them. All of his contact info is in the mailing. And he isn't doing anything odd or unusual: I've received photos from many different photographers that I haven't ordered. They do the same thing in the horse world too.

racer#10
01-31-2006, 12:34 PM
I am with Joe on this. Roz does great work and it is nice to have photos of the car in action :023:
He does not for ce anyone to purchase. I am usually more than occupied at the track and I have a great
album of 20 years of racing thanks to Roz.

Bill Miller
02-03-2006, 03:22 AM
I don't like the idea of having to mail them back at my expense but I don't think it is fair for me to just keep them. Like all unsolicited mailings you can just throw them away w/o paying anything but if you keep them, you owe him. I must say that these are the sharpest photos I have ever seen of my car at speed. Or sitting still for that matter. I'm going to buy a couple and send the others back.
[/b]

Actually Bill, you don't owe him anything. While he takes nice pics, and I've purchased ones in the past, it's unsolicited mail. You're not obligated to purchase it or return it. At the very least, he should include a SASE for the return. I don't like getting the junk inserts for his wife's financial consulting business. To me, that's a misuse of your contact info. What bothered me, was that I got a bill for pics of my car, for a race that I wasn't even at! I had signed up, but canceled my registration prior to the event. I politely replied that I could not have possibly rec'd pictures, as I was not at the event. I continued to get bills for the better part of a year. IIRC, some of the later ones were marked 'Past Due', and had interest added.

Parrish57
02-03-2006, 11:45 AM
I had a similar experience with "Roz" and a couple of other paparazzi. First I's like to say, in general terms, that I'm a sucker for a guy who walks up to my paddockwith an 8X10 glossy of my car in his hand. My purchase rate is about 10 for 10. And I don't have a problem with mailing photos. It's the bill and the overdue notices that rub me the wrong way. Not to mention the expectation for me to spend money and time returning them. According to my local postmaster you have absolutly no obligation to return or respond to unsolicited mailings. Attempts by the mailer to COLLECT cross the line to mail fraud.

As for Roz, I have nothing against him personally. I hope he reads this so he can understand that not everyone is comfortable with his "Tactics". As Bill said, if he would send a SASE that would solve the problem. Or just walk up to me in the paddock and I'll pay CASH.

Steve Parrish
SEDIV
ITS 57
Silver 240Z

bldn10
02-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Bill, I said you owe him IF YOU KEEP THEM. I did not say you owe him if you throw them in the garbage. It is my understanding that that is the "law" on unsolicited mail - you have no obligation to accept and pay for it or to return it. But you cannot just take advantage of the mailer and keep whatever it is they sent you w/o paying for it. This is what is called a unilateral offer - one party makes an unsolicited offer and there is no contract unless the offeree "accepts" the offer. Then you have an enforceable contract. If you keep the photos, there is "acceptance" [legal term] of the offer and you are legally obligated to pay. I'm not sure about the legality where there is a partial acceptance - whether you are obligated to send the others back or not. But I appreciate the opportunity to buy nice photos of my car so I will do it.

I don't understand the instance where he billed you for an event you did not attend - what was he billing you for if he sent you no photos? :blink:

Parrish57
02-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Bldn1o,

With all respect intended your assumption about the law contradicts the info given to me in person from the local Post Master. He said "You have no responsiblity whatsoever to unsolicited mail, regardless of the value. If someone sends you an unsolicited Rolex, I suggest you set the correct time and enjoy it!"

Steve

Tkczecheredflag
02-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Roz has been taking pictures of my cars for ten years. He's a great photographer. an approachable guy, considerate. easy to work with, enthusiast and professional. I have had many experiences with him regarding, photos, bills, special orders and the like - never an issue or a problem and always economically accomodating. One year I hit a price breakpoint for a yearly subscription and he only charged me the balance of the subscription price. The next event I had more pictures (20 or so) to choose from and they were all free because of the subscription price break. Personally I have always enjoyed the way he has done business. My take is this - when it's all said and done the pictures, (videos if you shoot) and a good story are all we have to show for our efforts (along with some hardware if you lucky). Recentlly there has been a little more lag time than usual - I find that a pleasnt surprise. I always look forward to his envelope when it arrivesin the mail. Enjoy the pictures - tell some good stories.

bldn10
02-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Let it not be said that I will not admit when I am wrong.

Steve is right - the usual law re unilateral contracts has been over-ridden by statute and you DO NOT have to pay for unsolicited merchandise even if you keep it:

"If you open the package and like what you find, you may keep it for free. In this instance, 'finders-keepers' applies unconditionally.

Furthermore, it is illegal for a company that sends you unordered merchandise to follow the mailing with a bill or dunning communication.

If you are aware of violations of the federal law prohibiting the mailing of unordered merchandise, or if you have personally had difficulty with such items--especially if you are sent statements demanding payment for the merchandise--you should contact you local postmaster or the nearest Postal Inspector."

Of course, what is legal is not always what is right. I still intend to pay for the photos I want and mail the others back.

itaracer
02-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Has anyone guessed that Bill is a lawyer?

bldn10
02-27-2006, 11:17 AM
Mark, good to hear that you are still alive and kicking! Are you going to race this year?

gran racing
03-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Anyone have Roz's e-mail address? I'd like to purchase one of his photos and need to contact him about it.

Thanks!

bldn10
03-16-2006, 11:34 AM
"Anyone have Roz's e-mail address?"

I tried to reach him via the address on his invoice and website but it was undeliverable; I even e-mailed his webmaster about it but I have heard nothing back.

Scott Nutter
03-22-2006, 10:27 PM
I too have received and purchased photos and I too do not like the idea of sending something back I did not want. If he is reading this then I would suggest doing something like I've seen other photographers doing. Post thumbnails with watermarks on the web or email. I understand that you don't get the quality of his printed photos but to those of us who have seen them it doesn't matter. So maybe new potential customers he sends a packet with pictures, then maybe send post cards for a couple of events. It sure does seem like it would be more economical for him as well.