PDA

View Full Version : Where do I buy Parts Washer Solvent?

Bildon
01-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Where do I buy Parts Washer Solvent Locally? Need 40 gallons.
I dont want to order it. I've tried car parts places, no dice.

Can I get it delivered by Safety Cleen ? Any other ideas?

JamesB
01-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Have you tried calling Zep, or other solvent companies for a local supplier? I think zep does direct supply and has a warehouse in most cities.

Thats the solvent my friend got for his washer.

charrbq
01-26-2006, 01:34 PM
I've seen some stuff at K Mart and Walmart that a buddy of mine swears by. It's Purple something. It only comes in gallon jugs though. I used to use 111 Trichlorolethane, but I kept having too much fun cleaning stuff. :P

x-ring
01-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Zep has a product called Blue-something, works great. They'll usually deliver, no extra charge, unless you're really out in the sticks...

Safety Kleen makes a good product, but it's pretty spendy.

Bildon
01-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys... I put a call into Zep and they are taking care of me.
:023:

crushed
01-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Saw some big jugs of it at northern tool the other day too...

JohnRW
01-26-2006, 04:23 PM
I use the NAPA stuff in my parts washer. Doesn't have a strong odor, doesn't peel all the skin off my hands if I dive in without gloves. Seems to work pretty good, and the shop doesn't stink if I leave the top on the washer open for a few days.

They've got in in 5-gallon cans.

joeg
01-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Bulk mineral spirits

MMiskoe
01-26-2006, 09:30 PM
I've used kerosene, easy to come by, and not so volital that it imposes as much fire hazard.

PDoane
01-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Be carfeul of the places that charge significantly less than SafetyKleen. Part of the reason SK is so expensive is that they carry all the insurance and handling requirements for the old stuff (which is a hazardous waste) when they take it away. If one of the the cheaper company trucks has a problem on the roads, the state can come after the customers for the clean-up.

What are you guys doing with the nasty old fluid when you use the KMart or Northern Tools stuff?

Bildon
01-30-2006, 02:12 PM
hmm so pouring it in the trout stream behind the shop is a bad idea? :blink:

MMiskoe
01-31-2006, 02:50 PM
I live on a fairly wooded lot so about twice a year I have a pile of brush to burn from stuff blowing down. A pile of newspaper & cardboard soaked down in diesel fuel (or stale gas, or paint thinner, or grubby kerosean etc) will light a brush fire even on the wettest day.