PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis Double Drivers School

Speed Raycer
01-26-2006, 12:05 PM
St. Louis Region Double Drivers School/Regional Entry forms are up!

Also, take a minute to register with the website and get instant emails when entry forms, pictures and results have been posted.

STL Region Homepage (http://www.stlscca.org)

ITANorm
01-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Scott - they have me listed as CSOM. I haven't gotten my '06 assignment list yet. Is that official, or is it a left-over from October?

Norm

Speed Raycer
01-26-2006, 11:48 PM
I'll send a note to the RR committee..

ITANorm
01-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Thanks. I got a note from Carol. Still haven't heard from Jack, but I told him it would be fine with me if that's what he wanted to do. If so, I'll just have to get up a couple of hours earlier to get there by noon on Friday. :119:

Racerlinn
01-27-2006, 01:46 PM
As a "graduate" of this school, I highly recommend it to anyone considering it!

Speed Raycer
01-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Racerlinn@Jan 27 2006, 12:46 PM
As a "graduate" of this school,

... and "posterboy"....
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/STLRoadRacing/Website%20Content/DDSImage.jpg

ITANorm
01-30-2006, 01:22 PM
OK - I spoke to Jack. It's official, I'm the CSOM. Y'all just remember - I hate paperwork, play nice! ;)

Racerlinn
01-30-2006, 02:00 PM
... and "posterboy"....
[/b]

I think "posterchild" is a better description.....
:023:

CDS
02-15-2006, 01:26 PM
I'll be there as a student, and looking forward to it. I'll be sending in my entry this week. I bought Forest Heath's ITC CRX last summer, but for various reasons haven't been able to get on the track yet. This should be interesting, I get to learn the car, the track, and WTW racing all at the same time. :P I'll do my best to stay out of everyone's way. :D

Craig

Speed Raycer
02-15-2006, 02:34 PM
I'll do my best to stay out of everyone's way. :D[/b]

I know you're joking, but just watch your mirrors and hold your line and you'll be fine. You'll have quite a few sessions to get used to the car as the "train" of drivers learns the track. There are about 2 or 3 sessions before there's any passing, then only passing in certain areas.

Be sure to bring some crew along with you that knows how to prep the car as you're going to be a busy boy.

Drew Aldred
02-15-2006, 02:56 PM
There are about 2 or 3 sessions before there's any passing, then only passing in certain areas.
[/b]

Really ?? Is this something unique to this Driver's School or track ? It wasn't that long ago that I went to school and it was green all over from the get go. My instructor at the first school made the point that they wanted to see us pass and get passed safely. "This isn't a ride around, this is a racing school", comment comes to mind.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea at this track, just curious.

Speed Raycer
02-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Friday is mostly a class day, with a couple sessions on track w/no passing. Saturday is usually a session or two with no/limited passing, 5K rpm limit for a couple of sessions and then they'll loosen the reigns on you a little ;). IIRC last year there were about 6 or 7 sessions on Saturday with the last one being the 10 lap "race"

They most definitely want to see that you can pass and be passed safely, but Gateway is not a very forgiving track and bites hard in several areas.

Make no mistake, it ain't a "drive around" school ;)

CDS
02-15-2006, 03:23 PM
I know you're joking, but just watch your mirrors and hold your line and you'll be fine. You'll have quite a few sessions to get used to the car as the "train" of drivers learns the track. There are about 2 or 3 sessions before there's any passing, then only passing in certain areas.

Be sure to bring some crew along with you that knows how to prep the car as you're going to be a busy boy.
[/b]

Yeah, I'm bringing an experienced ITS driver with me as crew. He owes me since I have been crewing for him for a couple of years. :) I've also been watching some in-car video trying to learn the track. We will try to get up there Thursday afternoon or evening in time to get set up and get the car teched. The car has a current log book. The car's last event was last March in Memphis, where it had a little encounter with a SM. :wacko: Log book says cosmetic damage only; we have repaired and inspected it, so it should be ready to go.

I've done a bunch of track days, but I'm still a little nervous about going wheel to wheel.

Drew Aldred
02-16-2006, 10:19 AM
..... Gateway is not a very forgiving track and bites hard in several areas.
[/b]

Agreed, as mentioned I didn't think it was a bad idea for this particular track. Thanks for the info Scott.

Good luck to everyone going. St. Louis Region puts on great events, you will have a terrific time !!

Racerlinn
02-16-2006, 02:44 PM
As a current "posterchild", I'll chime in.
Depending on your level of experience on track, you will either find Friday to be just the right speed or you will be cursing "why can't I go faster?". But you have to keep in mind that the school is not "all about you". There are other folks on track that simply need more time to get up to speed. Getting stuck behind a Pinto can and will be tedious.
(Let me just say that pulling into pit lane to get some open track in front of you was deemed an unacceptable tactic. :D )
But by Saturday afternoon, things loosen up and your focus and attention will need to be ready and willing. And that first (of three) practice race starts on Saturday really gets your blood pumping!

ITANorm
03-03-2006, 12:34 PM
And that first (of three) practice race starts on Saturday really gets your blood pumping!
[/b]

It's not the start - it's blowing into turn 1, three abreast, that'll get your blood pumping. ;)

JIgou
03-03-2006, 03:28 PM
It's not the start - it's blowing into turn 1, three abreast, that'll get your blood pumping. ;)
[/b]

Yep. Just make sure you're on the inside!!! :D

Jarrod