PDA

View Full Version : 1989 vs 1990 Honda Civic Weight

spnkzss
01-25-2006, 05:29 PM
1989 Honda Civic STD weighs in stock at 2050 with a/c no sunroof
1990 Honda Civic STD weighs in stock at 2127 with no a/c or sunroof

Here is my delima. I have built 2 cars. An '89 and a '90. The '90 is mine the '89 is my teammates. He is just about at weight. I'm about 150lbs heavier then he is. 75 lbs is just in the car and I'll give 20lbs between what I weigh and my teammate. Other differences can be accounted for in various places. What I want to concentrate on is the car difference. Where is the 75 lbs located? I know the doors are different. The 90 had all of the seatbelts in it the '89 does not. I have a set of '89 doors that I plan to put in, but I don't think the difference is 75 lbs. Where else is the weight hidden?

CCARVER
02-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Not 100% sure, but have build several for autocross. We have the same probem. If you look at the door sills and the surrounding steel. It is much thicker. I belive that Honda renforced all of this area for the door mounted seat belts. I have only found 40 lbs worth, 75lbs is a lot. Just make sure you have all of the sound deading, and excess brackets taken off. But even all of that only accounts for ounces.
Good luck, and keep us posted. Could be one of us with the same problem soon.
Carver