PDA

View Full Version : How about a change of pace??

Doc Bro
01-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Noticing the tone on the board has been intense lately I thought a light post may help us to smile and get along.

So much of our race weekend involves socializing with friends and family I was wondering if any one had any must have racetrack staples.....besides beer.

Maybe a lucky meal or a place you just gotta go to when in the vicinity of the track.

Or even something not to eat at the track (Mexican?) McDonald's breakfast comes to my mind!!

Let's hear it!

R

lateapex911
01-24-2006, 10:41 PM
I have to say, expense notwithstanding, that Lime Rocks food has been, over the years, pretty darn good. And the Black Boat (Canoe?) resturaunt in town is pretty good as well.

On the other hand, I consider going to Pocono in the same genre as a moon shot. TAKE everything with you, as nothing there is edible. IMHO, LOL.

I hear Road America has some famous Brats....gotta get out there someday.

Joe Harlan
01-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911@Jan 24 2006, 07:41 PM
I have to say, expense notwithstanding, that Lime Rocks food has been, over the years, pretty darn good. And the Black Boat (Canoe?) resturaunt in town is pretty good as well.

On the other hand, I consider going to Pocono in the same genre as a moon shot. TAKE everything with you, as nothing there is edible. IMHO, LOL.

Doesn't matter where I have been Applebees is always a favorite stop. Portlands trak food sucks. We normally have good food in the motorhome and Deb does a great job keeping everyone full of food.

pgipson
01-24-2006, 10:55 PM
AZ Region used to have a deal with a local guy (Mr. Mort's for anyone that remembers) that was good. Great polish and italian sausage, burgers cooked to order. Good stuff. He was at all of our races. :happy204:

Then, AMP opened and they had a track selected caterer. Had to use them, no one else allowed. :(

Then PIR started on the same thing -- use the track concessionaire. The first time they came out, I think they expected NASCAR. The next time they had 2 16 yr olds working a single stand. Greasy and barely edible :angry:

Then Firebird gets on the bandwagon. You gotta use our guy. But their guy is a F******* "roach coach". And he has a $600 per day minimum that the club has to cover. :o :angry: :bash_1_:

I have taken to bringing these "tuna lunch packs" More healthy anyway.

But man do I miss those sausages that Mr Mort had. :(

charrbq
01-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Most all races are the cooler full of sandwich stuff to save time and money waiting in line for a $5 burger, etc. Evening varies with the track. Daytona has the Light House on the beach that steps straight out of a Hemingway novel. Texas World Speedway used to have Fajita Rita's and Tom's Barbeque, but they went away, so now it's Wings and More. Memphis Motorsports Park has the family style barbeque on Saturday nights that is one of the best reasons for racing there.

But...I'm sure others will back me on this...the very best place to eat at a race track only happens once a year at the ARRC. That's when Francis, our racing cook, prepares his feasts for the masses. There's the jambalaya on Thursday nights and the gumbo on Friday nights...both full of meats and warmth on a cool fall night. Sometimes we have things like red fish or deer meat sauce picant'. Of course there's the occassional spicy, lean 1/2 lb. hamburger. But the very best was this last year when lunch was fried speckled trout smothered with crawfish etouffee. Good thing that was a test day and not qualifying! :023:

Knestis
01-24-2006, 11:33 PM
I can't remember the name of the joint, but one of the very best Mexican places I've ever been to is in Danville, VA near the motels that were SOP for VIR, until the newer places to stay opened on the east side of 29.

But the BEST track food ever used to be had at the mobile weiner cart that used to set up when we raced at the Olympia (WA) airport circuit, back in the '80s. I used to start the day with a kraut-smothered knockwurst for breakfast, as soon as they came out of the beer pot and went on the grill.

K

Edit - that cajun rice sausage stuff at the ARRC infield bash this fall was freakin' AWESOME, too.

JamesB
01-24-2006, 11:57 PM
You ,know I could never tell you about the food around Summit Point or VIR. We have chef Mo. She is our paddock mom ensuring that all drivers and 'crew' have more then enough food to eat every day. Actually I think her cooking started my slow 6 month weight gain over last season.

I have to say that by VIR there was a mexican place way downtown, I have no idea how we got there and I was lost on the way back too, I just followed the car with numbers (It was an HPDE event) back to the hotel.

its66
01-25-2006, 12:35 AM
When at Sebring, the breakfast sandwiches from the at track concession are great. Lots of artery clogging guaranteed!!

For dinner, I recommend RJ Gators. The food is good, and our service has always been great. As if that isn't enough, they ALWAYS have a birthday party for my favorite Honda guy from Georgia. :happy204: :happy204: :happy204:

zracre
01-25-2006, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by charrbq@Jan 24 2006, 11:18 PM

But...I'm sure others will back me on this...the very best place to eat at a race track only happens once a year at the ARRC. That's when Francis, our racing cook, prepares his feasts for the masses. There's the jambalaya on Thursday nights and the gumbo on Friday nights...both full of meats and warmth on a cool fall night. Sometimes we have things like red fish or deer meat sauce picant'. Of course there's the occassional spicy, lean 1/2 lb. hamburger. But the very best was this last year when lunch was fried speckled trout smothered with crawfish etouffee. Good thing that was a test day and not qualifying! :023:

I must agree...thats why I park there every year!!! the test day lunch was by far the best trackside meal I ever had...I ate so much I was thinking of it when I was on the back stretch...hmmm I whonder if there is any left...went back and cleaned the pan....awesome! :023: and the Sat PM bash was incredible with Irish coffee in the 20 degree weather. The OPM boys prepped a fried turkey at the turkey trot this year....pretty darn good!

charrbq
01-25-2006, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Knestis@Jan 25 2006, 03:33 AM
I can't remember the name of the joint, but one of the very best Mexican places I've ever been to is in Danville, VA near the motels that were SOP for VIR, until the newer places to stay opened on the east side of 29.

But the BEST track food ever used to be had at the mobile weiner cart that used to set up when we raced at the Olympia (WA) airport circuit, back in the '80s. I used to start the day with a kraut-smothered knockwurst for breakfast, as soon as they came out of the beer pot and went on the grill.

K

Edit - that cajun rice sausage stuff at the ARRC infield bash this fall was freakin' AWESOME, too.

The "Cajun rice sausage" is called "Boudin"..pronounced boo-dan. Glad you enjoyed it. We supplied it and the hog head cheese. The rest of the food was from the Louisiana/Georgia hosts. The Irish Coffee was made by Satan, so I've heard. It's too good to be made by humans and is too mean the next day to be considered safe. :P

ITANorm
01-25-2006, 01:52 AM
Boudin - mmmm. One of the few Cajun treats I actually like.

I'll second Memphis' BBQ.

Probably the best at-the-track food around the middle of the country is from the Starting Line Cafe - at Hallett.

You forgot cheap "box wine" as a track staple. :D

One of the better things we've found as munchies for the troops is mini egg rolls done in the Convection oven. (Well . . . we are lucky enough to have a motorhome. But since we race only about 4 weekends a year and work over a dozen it was the best "compromise".)

NOT to eat before a race: I'll 2nd Mexican.

x-ring
01-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Knestis@Jan 24 2006, 08:33 PM
...one of the very best Mexican places I've ever been to is in Danville, VA

WHAT? You've GOT to be kidding me! I've never had a decent Mexican meal east of Big Spring, Tx or north of the New Mexico state line.

The best track food I recall was from Mo, the concession operator at 2nd creek raceway in Denver (before it closed). I'm not sure where in Louisiana he was from, but it couldn't have been too far north of the gulf.

Mmm, red beans and rice for lunch...

Drew Aldred
01-25-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by ITANorm@Jan 24 2006, 11:52 PM
I'll second Memphis' BBQ.

Another vote for the Mid-South Region spread at Memphis :happy204:

Bill Miller
01-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Joe Harlan@Jan 24 2006, 08:53 PM
Doesn't matter where I have been Applebees is always a favorite stop. Portlands trak food sucks. We normally have good food in the motorhome and Deb does a great job keeping everyone full of food.

Damn Joe, that track food must really suck if it'll make you eat Applebees! I'd sooner go to McDonalds!

Jake's right, the track food at Pocono is only slightly better than used speedy-dry. Notice I said 'slightly'! :119:

Since I'm such a cheap bastard, I usually bring my own food, and eat at the track. Since we most times have 3-4 cars paddocking together, as well as friends/crew, we set up a little 'village'. One of two of the tents are dedicated to covering the eating area. The Dietz & Watson natural casing griddle franks that I bring are always a big hit. Make the best chili dogs!!!

I will admit though, it's nice to go out for a 'sit-down' meal. One of my favorite places to eat is in Watkins Glen. It's called the Wildflower, and it's right in the heard of downtown. Nice place, good food, not too expensive. Another cool place is the Seneca Lodge. There's supposed to be a good BBQ place in Burdett, called Smoke'n Bones, but I've never been there. If you go in for the winery thing, the Glenora winery is hard to beat, and their chardonay is pretty damn good!

Since I consider myself a pretty damn good cajun cook, I've got to make it to the ARRC and try this legendary gumbo!

dave parker
01-25-2006, 11:00 AM
The ladies that run Chez Summit are super nice and will make just about anything that you ask them to. Several of them have worked there continously since the track opened in 1969. They enjoy the social aspect of the SCCA as much as the region members.

I have eaten there almost everyday (in season) for four years now and it has not maimed or killed me yet.

One of my favorite custom breakfasts that they do for me is a bowl of the Summit Point Hundred mile an hour chili with a fried egg on top. IT will make you GO faster.

The food at VIR hasn't been bad either though it is a little pricey.

cheers
"dangerous" dave parker

latebrake
01-25-2006, 11:39 AM
In Danville the Mexicano Restaurante is LOS TRES MAGUEYES on Riverside Dr. Right next to the Hotel. If you speak spanish you can get things not on the menu. Good food and good service too. The locals eat there a lot.

Lawrence/in Danville

JamesB
01-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Parker, I cannot badmouth the food at Chez Summit, but lets face it, Mo's wings kick butt!!! But their coffee (and like all coffee west of Fredrick/Lessburg) is just tainted water. I need something that will actually wake me up.

AntonioGG
01-25-2006, 12:28 PM
I'll second Hallett. The breakfast there is awesome.

Cinammon rolls at Texas Motor Speedway.

Brats at Grattan (though their frito pie..I forget what they call it there...is not that good)

Wings 'n' More in College Station is good, that's where we'll have our Saturday night party for our March race. Also Rudy's BBQ is pretty good.

And there are plenty of good Mexican restaurants everywhere in the US...perhaps you're referring to Tex Mex?

Bill Miller
01-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Oh yeah, the brats at Road America are worth the trip!!

RacerBill
01-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by AntonioGG@Jan 25 2006, 12:28 PM
I'll second Hallett. The breakfast there is awesome.

Cinammon rolls at Texas Motor Speedway.

Brats at Grattan (though their frito pie..I forget what they call it there...is not that good)

Wings 'n' More in College Station is good, that's where we'll have our Saturday night party for our March race. Also Rudy's BBQ is pretty good.

And there are plenty of good Mexican restaurants everywhere in the US...perhaps you're referring to Tex Mex?

TMS - Pecan pie in the suites (pro weekends!) unbelievable!!!!!

- Mex - look up the Mercado Juarez near Los Colinas

- steak - Trail Dust (if you can eat the 52 oz, it's free!)

Best track food in general has been at the infield rest. at NHIS.

JohnRW
01-25-2006, 02:05 PM
As Dangerous Dave mentioned, the food at Chez Summit is top-notch for race track cuisine...I heartily recommend the beef barbeque sangwidge. Nicest track staff on the planet at Summit (Don't think I've met Dave....he could be the exception....).

VIR/Danville - track food is excellent, by race track standards. In town, the Mexican place already mentioned is great, as is "Joe & Mimmas", an Italian place in the rear of one of the strip malls on the north side of 58...I think it's opposite K-mart or Walmart or some mart-thing. Our own enduro team refers to it as "Joe's Enema"...but that's a study in our own bad taste, rather than a comment on their food. There is ALWAYS a line waiting to get in.

Pocono ? Pack a lunch. Or better yet, go somewhere else.

Mid-O ? Take 71 north to Ashland, get off and head west ~1-2 miles and find 'La Fiesta Mexicana'...or something like that...on the north side of the road. Family owned...I think Grandma is out back cooking...best Mexican I've had north of Tiujuana. Really outstanding. Really.

Nelson ? Well...I love the track...really neat track....really like the track....

The Glen ? Jerlando's on the main drag thru town...good Italian food...great 'puttanesca'. Always a line out front. If you've got some money to spend, Red Newt Cellars in Hector - up 414 on the east side of the lake - outstanding food, and the bartender knows how to serve a correct 'black & tan' draft. Track food has become more palatable in the last few years, but I'm boycotting it until they bring back 'curly fries'. They used to have great curly fries (going back a decade or so...)

Mosport ? Drive to Oshawa...or Toronto...otherwise there is no hope. There is a Tim Hortons directly between the track and 'the 401', do you can get your donut & coffee buzz.

Mont Tremblant ? Impossible to get a bad meal in that area. Bring larger pants.

Sebring ? Is the 'Gator' place what I think of when I think 'garlic toxicity' ? If so...go there. Bring breath mints.

ggnagy
01-25-2006, 02:13 PM
For a sit down north of Summit Point, I reccomend Avanti, which is one block north of the main intersection in Charles Town, WV. Very good italian and some greek food too. For diner fare, it may be housed in the same building, but the Mountain View diner in Charles Town is way way way better than Denny's ever dreamed to be.

dave parker
01-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by JohnRW@Jan 25 2006, 01:05 PM
As Dangerous Dave mentioned, the food at Chez Summit is top-notch for race track cuisine...I heartily recommend the beef barbeque sangwidge. Nicest track staff on the planet at Summit (Don't think I've met Dave....he could be the exception.)

I am the exception to EVERY rule. :D :happy204: :D

Management at Summit Point has made it a point to instill in all the employees to make the users (customers) of the facility feel comfortable and want to come back.
Lets face it, there are plenty of tracks in the country that flat out don't care if you ever want to come back. Some of them have great racetracks in their facility. I can think of one in particular that has "blue bushes" all the way around.

James
I bring my own coffee from home. Having lived in Jefferson County,WV. for ten years I can tell you that ALL the water is brown, so it may be straight water that your drinking there. :blink:

cheers
"dangerous" dave parker

JamesB
01-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Dave I did better, last year I brought the coffee and a 1 gallon jug of water. But since the trailer only had a 4 cup pot im bringing my 10 cup spare coffee maker this year so I can be sure to have enough caffine to open my eyes at 8am.

dave parker
01-25-2006, 03:43 PM
James
There is a better way to wake up on Sunday its called "Hardship Practice".

cheers
"dangerous" dave

JamesB
01-25-2006, 04:00 PM
Dave up and moving and mentally awake are two things. Plus I hope to not need to ask for a hardship practice thank you very much.

pgipson
01-25-2006, 10:20 PM
We supplied it and the hog head cheese

We probably don't want to tell these ole boys what Hogs Head Cheese is made from :D

Although with the ARRC in Atlanta some might know.

Bill Miller
01-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by pgipson@Jan 25 2006, 08:20 PM
We probably don't want to tell these ole boys what Hogs Head Cheese is made from :D

:lol:

charrbq
01-26-2006, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by pgipson@Jan 26 2006, 02:20 AM

As with most delicacies, it's never a good idea to ask what's in the mix, but only to enjoy the final product. :023: After all, do you really have to know what's in Spam? :lol:

charrbq
01-26-2006, 12:37 AM
One thing I forgot...the breakfast burritos at TWS. Low price, excellent variety, and always hot. Really good at the cold Double National in February! :023:

buldogge
01-26-2006, 02:17 AM
Hmmm... In MiDiv:

GIR...Concessions beyond blow...always have...Mi Tierra is just around the corner in Fairmount City...real Mexican...zero English....VERY good. Besides you have all of St. louis at your disposal...we have an EXCELLENT restaurant scene!

HPT...Track food is pretty decent, including a grilled chicken wrap. Just up Topeka Blvd is a place called Glory Days Pizza that is pretty good...AVOID Casa Mexican at all costs (hurtin')!

MAM...Track food is passable. Pretty decent eating in downtown Omaha including a NY pizza joint and some good steak houses.

Hallet... The cafe really is your best option...the food in the towns nearby simply sucks. If you drive into Tulsa please patronize The PieHole (VERY good pizza...fellow scooterist owned)!

Memphis...Just down the street from the track is a pretty darn good Cajun joint...but...I never go to Memphis without going to Corky's!!!

Did someone mention food...

RacerBill
01-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by dave parker@Jan 25 2006, 02:30 PM

James
I bring my own coffee from home. Having lived in Jefferson County,WV. for ten years I can tell you that ALL the water is brown, so it may be straight water that your drinking there. :blink:

cheers
"dangerous" dave parker

I remember spilling some coffee one Sunday morning at Bridgehampton and watching the sand bubble! Like acid on a hood!

Drew Aldred
01-26-2006, 10:25 AM
A little taste of the Midwest.

Road America: Great brats and italians. Go for the double brat at lunch ! Take a left when leaving the track to Harvey's in Elkhart Lake. Very good fish fry.

Blackhawk Farms: Try to avoid the track shack. OK for a hot dog, but don't wander too far from there. Not much else going on in Beloit IL.

IRP: Complete pass on track food, bring your own. Funny cuz inside the oval on Friday nites is a KILLER pork tendeloin sandwich.

Mid-Ohio: Always like the McTrueman sandwiches for breakfast, grilled chicken sandwich with mushrooms for lunch. Mexican place in Lexington, across from the grocery store. Pretty good and reasonable prices.

Memphis: Don't know about the track food, we always have brought our own, but the Sat. BBQ party is very good. Thanks Mid-South Region. If that's not enough a trip to Corky's for BBQ is a good bet. If you have some time, travel into Memphis for a tour of Sun Records. Pretty cool and only about 30 minutes or so from the track.

St. Louis: Alot of stuff to do in town, not much to say about food in the near surrounding area. Track food is OK. Pretty decent Mexican place up the Interstate at exit 11, can't remember the name but it's there on the North side of the highway. Big place, hard to miss.

Heartland Park: Hamburgers at the track very good, very nice workers at the stand. BBQ joint in a mini-strip mall near the new Super 8 hotel about 2 minutes from the track that's pretty good chow.

Bill Miller
01-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by RacerBill@Jan 26 2006, 08:03 AM
I remember spilling some coffee one Sunday morning at Bridgehampton and watching the sand bubble! Like acid on a hood!

Oh my God, I had almost forgotten about the track coffee at the Bridge!!!

JamesB
01-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by RacerBill@Jan 26 2006, 10:03 AM

Yes but did it taste like coffee or like hot water with a hint of coffee?

1stGenBoy
01-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by lateapex911@Jan 25 2006, 02:41 AM

Jake,
Come on out!! You can stay at my place. I'm only about 40 mins from the track or I have a buddy that has a house in downtown Elkhart that is right on the lake. We could stagger out of Siebkins ( the greatest racing bar in the country). Yes the brats at the track are great but, so our the "Egger" breakfast sandwichs.
We cook out at the track and most times have a big spread for any and all to enjoy.

Bob

On a different note: What the h**l is this thing by my name that has "warn" and 4 blocks on it? I know someone said something about it before but I, cannot find it.

JIgou
01-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Heartland Park - the BBQ joint is called Pat's Pig.
Blind Tiger is a little further in town, decent food and a microbrewery. Not that anyone around here cares about beer.....

MAM - I think I've eaten lunch there once in 4 years. The last couple of years we've had a Friday night "welcome to the track" party put on initially by us Des Moines Valley SM drivers, but it's expanding to include other classes and regions. Last couple of times have been BBQ, but we've had spaghetti sauce cookoffs and a couple other things.

If you're coming to MAM, you're welcome to join us. EVERYONE is welcome. If you want a guarantee of food, get there by 7:30 or so; if you want to socialize, get there before 2 a.m. or so. :119: I think we've funded the end-of-season party for the track staff the last two years with our empties from this night alone.... (5 cents apiece in Iowa)

Blackhawk - there's a good Mexican place and a decent bar & grill in Rockton. I was just along for the ride, so I don't remember specifics like names or locations.....

St. Louis - just ask someone at the track. There are PLENTY of good places to eat.

Road America - do we start the debate on which stand has the better brats now or later? B)

Jarrod

Drew Aldred
01-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by JIgou@Jan 26 2006, 09:35 AM
Heartland Park - the BBQ joint is called Pat's Pig.

Yep, that's the place. Thanks Jarrod.

charrbq
01-26-2006, 12:47 PM
One other place in Memphis is pretty good. It's actually in Middleton, but so's the track. Place called "Number One Chinese Buffet"...really...that's the name. Most excellent place to get a plate of take out whatever and go back to the motel after a Friday practice. Food's good, cheap, and plentiful. Nooo MSG! We usually get a plate each of different stuff and pass it around the room.

Damn! It's starting to sound like the only reason I race is to eat out!

charrbq
01-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by JamesB@Jan 26 2006, 02:52 PM
Yes but did it taste like coffee or like hot water with a hint of coffee?

That's another thing I forgot. At the ARRC, there are only two types of coffee we drink. In the pits, before each day (more if it's cold), it's Community Dark Roast from Louisiana. On Saturday night, it's Irish Coffee from Satan's pot in turn 5. Anything else is just hot dirty water that you can read a newspaper through. :D

JamesB
01-26-2006, 12:58 PM
yeah, those that have the coffee I make usually comment 'James likes it strong enough to walk to work with him.'

Throw some balieys in it at the end of the day and now your talking about a good march warm me up.

Wreckerboy
01-26-2006, 01:01 PM
(RacerBill @ Jan 26 2006, 08:03 AM)

Oh my God, I had almost forgotten about the track coffee at the Bridge!!!

Until I read this post I thought that I had managed to put those memories behind me as well....urp! I always figured that if the locals didn't get the track shut down the EPA would for that brew.

However, as noted above, the brats at Road America were every bit as good as Peter Egan had written that they were going to be.

And + whatever to the staff at Summit who are courteous, polite, and make nice food. Too bad the apple groves are gone, because the Empire apples they sold and grew there were a staple of a Summit Point weekend for me for years.

dave parker
01-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Wreckerboy@Jan 26 2006, 12:01 PM
Too bad the apple groves are gone, because the Empire apples they sold and grew there were a staple of a Summit Point weekend for me for years.

The orchards are still there but no one maintains them. I picked two buckets of apples in late October of 2005. I ended up throwing most of them into the woods behind the track store for the deer because they were worm infested (the deer are even better tasting than the apples). The two or three that were edible were tasty. It is too bad that the orchard was not financially viable. Mr. Scott donated crates of apples to the Jefferson County School system that I think most people had no idea how good they were or how rare some of the varieties were. Mr. Scott also made apple wine too, he gave the wife and I a bottle one year. It was suberb.

The last I heard about the orchards was that they were going to make that a Homeland Security training area, complete with a airplane fuselage. Which I think the only way they could do that would be to bulldoze the trees. A shame. :(

cheers
"dangerous" dave parker

mowog
01-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Summit Point: lunch at Chez Summit, dinner at Avanti in Charlestown. I've heard the buffet at the horse track is very good, will have to try it some day. Lots of places in Winchester, from steak to seafood to Italian to Mexican, to pub food.

Beaver Run: bring your own lunch. For dinner, try the Quaker Stake and Lube at exit 3 - lots of fun and where else can you eat UNDER a Corvette or Healey 3000? :smilie_pokal: There is also a very good Italian restaurant just past the turnpike entrance, can't think of the name right now.

Pocono: bring your own lunch or a ton of money. The food won't kill you, but you sure won't brag about it either. If in the mood for an expensive dinner, I'd highly recommend the restaurant at the Blakeslee Inn. You don't have to dress up for it on a race weekend. Even if wearing jeans and a clean tee-shirt, they still provide excellent service, and the food is outstanding. Entrees are around $25. There are quite a number of decent restaurants around the track, I've tried many and rarely had a bad dinner. There are also pizza and sub places, including a decent one in Blakeslee.

Nelson Ledges: as another poster said, I really like the track.

Lime Rock: about like Pocono for lunch. For a filling, inexpensive dinner, I often stop at the Sharon Diner (not sure that's the correct name, but it's in the little shopping area across from the gas station and Sharon Motor Lodge). The food is decent diner style. Warning, it closes early. I haven't found many inexpensive close places, usually have to do some travelling or pay a high price and dress decently (not jeans).

gsbaker
01-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Let's see, there is always the Hooters across the street from Daytona International Speedway...

Regarding Mexican east of Texas, the wife and I agree that Maria Bonita on Ridgewood in Daytona is the best we've found since leaving southern California.

lateapex911
01-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Speaking of the ARRCs........

I was down this fall, and the announcer came on the PA to hurry anyone who wanted food to get there because they were closing in about 20 mins.... Good idea! Thanks for the warning. 5 minutes later (and about 15 before the warned closing time) I was in the building asking about a burger.."Grills off" I was told. "Ok, what else I ask?".
"How about a soda?" she offers.

Gee....thanks...worth the walk....not.

Listen if you're going to close at 3 or 4 or whatever, close at 3 or 4 or whatever. I really don't care if you want to LEAVE at 3 or 4 or whatever. If thats the case, then advertise that the place closes at 2:45 or 3:45 or whatever.

Sorry about the rant, but it wasn't the first time for that to happen.

ITANorm
01-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by charrbq@Jan 26 2006, 11:47 AM
One other place in Memphis is pretty good. It's actually in Middleton, but so's the track. Place called "Number One Chinese Buffet"...really...that's the name.

Not Middleton, Millington. Middleton is about 50 miles east. <_<

charrbq
01-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by ITANorm@Jan 27 2006, 03:38 PM
Not Middleton, Millington. Middleton is about 50 miles east. <_<

Sorry, memory time out...a blonde moment.

Greg Gauper
01-29-2006, 11:08 AM
For spectator events, the Cajun Queen stand at Road America has really good red beans and rice. They also have really good breakfast food (I like their egg sandwhiches with Canadian bacon and their hashbrowns). The &#39;eggers&#39; at the Gearbox are great too, but I prefer mine with ham instead of a brat patty. Just about all of the stands have great brats. When it is in season, the roasted corn is good too. The chicken dinner served by the Milwaukee region at the Cat National is some of the best.

At Blackhawk, there are two really good pizza joints nearby. The first is Anna Marie&#39;s in South Beloit (you pass it on the way in to the track) and the second is Sam&#39;s in Rockton. I prefer Sam&#39;s (been going there at least once a year since my dad first started racing in the mid 70&#39;s), but both are good.

There are also two good Chinese places, but I don&#39;t recall the names. One is around the corner from Anna Marie&#39;s and the other is in Rockton. Both are quite good.

The place with pretty good Mexican food is Alvarez&#39;s located in the little strip mall just south of Micky D&#39;s in South Beloit. It&#39;s better (IMHO) than the other joint that you pass on Shirland.