PDA

View Full Version : Radio Question

buldogge
01-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Hey Guys...

How many channels should I be looking (settling?) for in a pair of radios for a comm set-up?

How many of you have multiple channels programmed?

Is picking up a set of 2ch radios foolish...should I stick to at least 4ch?

..or...???

Any specific radio models you like...dislike???

TIA

Doc Bro
01-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by buldogge@Jan 24 2006, 03:12 PM
Hey Guys...

How many channels should I be looking (settling?) for in a pair of radios for a comm set-up?

How many of you have multiple channels programmed?

Is picking up a set of 2ch radios foolish...should I stick to at least 4ch?

..or...???

Any specific radio models you like...dislike???

TIA

Call Shawn Sampson at Sampson Communication he's a fair guy who'll give you good advice.

R

buldogge
01-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Hey... I've got an email into Shawn.

Any personal experiences you can share?

TA

Originally posted by Doc Bro@Jan 24 2006, 03:14 PM
Call Shawn Sampson at Sampson Communication he's a fair guy who'll give you good advice.

R

Doc Bro
01-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by buldogge@Jan 24 2006, 04:02 PM
Hey... I've got an email into Shawn.

Any personal experiences you can share?

TA

I bought my system from him last season. Basic 2 radio system- best money I've spent other than the enclosed trailer.

R

Greg Amy
01-24-2006, 02:07 PM
I've purchased two systems from him. Excellent products, response, value, and support. - GA

buldogge
01-24-2006, 02:22 PM
Hey Guys...

I appreciate the personal experience on Shawn/Sampson...but...I need personal experience on Radio types/models!

???

TIA

Doc Bro
01-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by buldogge@Jan 24 2006, 06:22 PM
Hey Guys...

I appreciate the personal experience on Shawn/Sampson...but...I need personal experience on Radio types/models!

???

TIA

That's what were telling you. Shawn can answer all your questions in an honest and concise way. Everyone's communication needs are different. I have a TEC unit it works great for the tracks I'm at (nothing bigger than The Glen). Shawn sold it to me. Give him a call.

R

Tristan Smith
01-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Get the most channels that you can afford. But if you get a 2 or even a 4 channel radio, make sure that you know the frequencies of the local police, fire, railroad, ect in the area of the tracks that you are going to frequent. That way you can at least make sure that when you program the radio you don't render a channel worthless because of other established radio traffic.

jc836
01-29-2006, 02:43 PM
We use both 2 channel and 16 channel radios from Motorola. The 2 channel are generally all you will ever need. This assumes you do not want to scan the SCCA or other track frequencies. Many radio shops will charge you for each channel programmed (not expensive). I think that you will be fine with 2 and maybe 3 authorized (FCC) frequencies. There is more to this than what I'm writing here. Another thought is to contact one of the Frequency Coordinator companies as they will do all of your paperwork and get the best choices for the tracks you are going to. This is the part few talk about-trust me it is very important to get each of the forms completed correctly and pay the fees in one shot.
Got Q's drop me an e-mail and I'll try to help.

manny
02-01-2006, 09:05 PM
one answer RACING ELECTRONICS in concord nc. 704 721 5111 ask for ron :023:

jc836
02-02-2006, 08:24 AM
Manny is absolutely right as to the supplier I have been using. Racing Electronics does a great job overall. Our local Motorola shop (Mobile Radio Service) has the expertise to do installs and repairs. The big thing is the cabling and that is what RE excells at. Helmet kits are something that Ron at RE and a few others are super at doing.

02-04-2006, 05:47 PM
:023: Guys thanks for your support and Mark thanks for your business.

Your support and kindness keeps me working hard to support our racing community w/ great prices and customer support.