PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see the Pluto probe launch?

gsbaker
01-19-2006, 04:28 PM
According to news reports, the New Horizon probe was supposed to have the fastest launch speed on record--36,000mph. Having watched Shuttle launches over the years I decided to step outside and check it out.

Aside from films of Sprint and Spartan missiles, I have never seen anything leave this fast. Of course, when you're going that far you can't afford to hang around.

Did anyone else see this?

Anubis
01-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Didn't see it but glad they were finally able to get it launched. Hopefully all goes well and in 9 years we'll get some great information from it. Like typical space missions it will in the end raise more questions then it will answer but never the less will still be fascinating.

Greg Amy
01-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by gsbaker@Jan 19 2006, 03:28 PM
...I decided to step outside and check it out.
Yeah, me too, but the clouds on the southern CT horizon blocked it...<grin>

They really wanted this thing scootin&#39; outta here, so the engineers would still be alive when it gets near its target...<grin> I didn&#39;t see it - on TV - but that&#39;s what TiVO is for... - GA

JamesB
01-19-2006, 04:43 PM
I didnt see it either since I am in DC. But I know some people who have labored hard from design the probe through the actual launch to make it all possible.

Chris Wire
01-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Watched it on the web at nasa *dot* gov. Doesn&#39;t do it any real justice as far as speed goes.

gsbaker
01-19-2006, 06:31 PM
I empathize with the dedication part, and my neighbor is a systems engineer on the Atlas team so I hear stories of the trials and tribulations associated with any complex project. Waiting nine years for a reward for one&#39;s efforts is a supreme test of patience and maturity. Kudos to them all.

I was just wondering if anyone saw it. I mean live (TIVO doesn&#39;t count, Greg. ;)). I make a point of watching Shuttle launches whenever possible--as in go outside and watch--and am always impressed with the speed. Hey, 17,500 mph is a pretty good trap speed, but this thing popped out of the hole like a chipmunk on fire. The phrase, "Holy crap Batman, where&#39;d it go?!" springs to mind.

It makes one proud to know that simple homo sapiens can do this.

Then again, they were probably using spherical bearings and tweaked ECUs. Next thing you know it will be nitrous. Time to protest!

Greg Amy
01-19-2006, 07:05 PM
I got to see a night shuttle launch once, December &#39;99. My wife and I were flying down to Stuart and the airspace around KSFC was closed. Instead of diverting around we dropped into Daytona Beach airport.

The folks at the airport were inside watching it on the TV but we went outside to look; they pointed us to the direction it would happen. We expected something like a point of light or so, but were *ASTOUNDED* to see the whole horizon bright with light when that thing got lit. The light it put out was incredible; I could have easily read a magazine and it was over 50 miles away! On TV it looks like it&#39;s going "up"; it&#39;s not until you see one in person that you realize how far downrange they go towards the horizon...

Cool stuff. I envy you for being so close. If I were that close I&#39;d be there watching all the launches! - GA

Racerlinn
01-19-2006, 11:09 PM
The wife and I used to do the Daytona Speedweeks (before kids and SCCA) and stayed in Cocoa Beach quite often, normally on the beach, usually right by the pier.
In the mid-90s we had the opportunity to watch one of the smaller rockets go off. Of course, we had to wake up at 3:00am after a hard evening of drinking to do it. It was well worth it. We had a clear view of the cape and it lit up the sky and was quite spectacular.

jsgprod
01-19-2006, 11:25 PM
I saw it Gregg, I went up to the roof of the building I work in next to KSC headquarters to watch it. :023:

MAN, :119: did that puppy move :happy204: !

Solids are just soooo cool!

Lately, anytime we get a succesful launch, manned or not, it&#39;s a big deal!

Jay

JeffYoung
01-19-2006, 11:29 PM
Some perspective:

1. Apollo 11 took 3 days to get to the Moon. New Horizons took NINE HOURS.

2. NH will get to Jupiter in just about a year. Voyagers 1 and 2 took, I believe 7 years.

Amazing.

Saw a daytime shuttle launch once (my brother and I drove all night to watch it and then drove back from Raleigh NC). We were on the causeway near Titusville. We saw the candle get lit, and the smoke, and then the roar started. It got louder and louder and louder and louder until we both looked at each other and wondered if it would stop before it hurt.

Absolutely amazing.

Chris Wire
01-19-2006, 11:33 PM
We rent a condo right on the beach in Cocoa a couple times a year. Last year we got to see the very last night launch of an Atlas rocket. It wasn&#39;t the shuttle but still was very cool. Except to my 5 year old, who when asked if she liked it, responded with "can we go back to the pool now?"

I&#39;m with you, Gregg. It&#39;s hard to believe that such talented individuals like those at NASA barely register on the identity map and make an average to moderate salary. And pissant whining ego haulers like Terrell Owens get all the press and make $15M per. Doesn&#39;t seem right somehow.

JamesB
01-19-2006, 11:42 PM
yeah, all the guys I know on or involved in the project from APL where really happy to see a sucessfull launch in enough time to slingshot off the gravity. My closest friend was on site for the launch and gets to finally come home tomorrow.

Racerboy03
01-20-2006, 02:54 AM
I fell asleep during Astronomy class today.

-Mark

gsbaker
01-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by jsgprod@Jan 19 2006, 11:25 PM
I saw it Gregg, I went up to the roof of the building I work in next to KSC headquarters to watch it. :023:
You lucky duck.

MAN, :119: did that puppy move :happy204: !
That&#39;s what I&#39;m talkin&#39; about! :023: