PDA

View Full Version : 1St gen 89-92 Ford Probe

Racy-Stacey
01-18-2006, 04:51 PM
After years of trying to get a SCCA club car together. I finally got the car prepped for racing and have run in RS - Radial Sedan. The catch all class for racing cars.

But wait more good news.. I sent in information to get the car classified for a IT class and a national classification.

This is for the Ford Probe 1989-1992
I sent in for the GL - LX - GT models.

Andy Bettencourt
01-19-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Racy-Stacey@Jan 18 2006, 03:51 PM
After years of trying to get a SCCA club car together. I finally got the car prepped for racing and have run in RS - Radial Sedan. The catch all class for racing cars.

But wait more good news.. I sent in information to get the car classified for a IT class and a national classification.

This is for the Ford Probe 1989-1992
I sent in for the GL - LX - GT models.

Stacey,

What do you mean, classified for IT AND and National classification?

The GL's and the LX's should be a quick classing excersize provided you sent in all the info. The GT from those years was a 2.2L turbo IIRC, so it won't make it into IT.

The GL was a 110hp 2.2L with 130ft/lbs of TQ...expect ITB around Accord weight give or take.

There was a V6 LX made in those years as well. Made 140hp. Expect ITA at NX2000 weight give or take.

AB

Racy-Stacey
01-19-2006, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt@Jan 19 2006, 05:05 AM
Stacey,

What do you mean, classified for IT AND and National classification?

The GL's and the LX's should be a quick classing excersize provided you sent in all the info. The GT from those years was a 2.2L turbo IIRC, so it won't make it into IT.

The GL was a 110hp 2.2L with 130ft/lbs of TQ...expect ITB around Accord weight give or take.

There was a V6 LX made in those years as well. Made 140hp. Expect ITA at NX2000 weight give or take.

AB

Hi Andy

What I meant was. I have a strong feelings that the car will be put in IT so I am just wondering ITC or ITB. Also I would like to see the car listed under Production for a chance at running at a National level.

Sounds like you've seen a probe or two in your time?
:)

Racy-Stacey
03-20-2006, 04:24 PM
The first gen 2.2L non turbo is now classified as ITB. shown in the latest issue of Fastrack news

:happy204:

If anyone wants to build a 1st gen 3.0 V6 car the information has been sent to SCCA as well. I didnt see a listing for this car model. The car would pose a threat in ITB.. It might end up classified as ITA. or I could be wrong and it be a front runner in ITB. The engine is a little heavier.

lateapex911
03-21-2006, 01:23 AM
Hey Stacey-

We put your car in ITB, as your letter requested a classification. But i think that if you wanted the V6 car classed, we didn't understand that. if thats the case, write up another reuest, specifically for that car. good luck in ITB! if you prep that car to the nines, you should be right up there! Bring it to Atlanta in November!

Racy-Stacey
03-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Ack... I thought it was clear that I was petitioning for all models of 1st Gen probe.

I can resend the information for the other variences.

the V6 3.0L model and the twin-cam 2.0Lmodel

In a sick, I can smoke everyone kind of way, I was kinda hoping that the car would have been classed in ITC. But theres no competition in ITC in my region. Meaning lack of cars that compete and not the quality of drivers or cars.

The current engine is very tired and I hope to put a fresh one in before season end. The current engine has 309,990 miles on it.

Thanks
-Stacey B.

Andy Bettencourt
03-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Stacy,

Sorry we misunerstood your request. Here it is:

Please use the included information to classify the 1st generation Ford Probe for SCCA club racing. I currently run in SCCA under a catch all regional car class - Radial Sedan (RS) - created for SCCA cal club as far as I know. I would like to have a proper classification for my 1990 GL version car. I would like to run Improved Touring. I've ran the car against other cars in improved touring and the car seemed competitive against the ITC cars but fell a little short against the ITB cars and would have no chance against the ITA cars.[/b]

You did include specs for a bunch of cars but only asked for the GL, 110hp variant. The LX (140hp/160ft/lbs, 3.0L) is most certainly an ITA car. Without nailing down a number, I would think it would be in the 2550 to 2650 range.

The GT from those years is a 2.2T and not eligible for IT due to it's Turbo.

I also can't find anything for any other cars other than the 110hp GL, 145hp GT and 140hp LX for the year of 89-92. What is this 148hp 2.0 DOHC N/A car you speak of?

BTW: Your car looks GREAT!

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/161451/fullsize/DSCN1091.JPG

RSTPerformance
03-22-2006, 04:58 PM
WOW!!!

That car certainly changes the age appearance of the ITB class!!! Certainly intimidating to drive into the paddock and think... I got to race against that "new" car!!!

Good Luck, it sure looks nice!!!

Raymond

Racy-Stacey
03-22-2006, 10:16 PM
lol Ya got me Andy..

I should have made a revised letter by the time the information was forwarded to you. That would have better explained all the extra information.

The 2.0L FE3 motor is an optional motor. A direct bolt in european motor. Its like what honda drivers like to do is throw in a European motor with crazy 10:1 compression pistons. This is our crazy motor. for the 1st gen Probe and Mazda Mx-6. Both the Mazda Mx-6 of the same years share the same platform. Same suspension points, Same control arms, same track, same motors. Back in the day, Mazda and Ford must have made a deal when creating the two cars. Both the 1st generation and the 2nd generation cars of these two manufactures share the same platform. Ie the 2nd Gen Probe 93-97 year model shares the same suspension parts and engine as the 93-97 MX-6. The only thing that is different between the two cars is the outside body styling and the interrior styling.

I was hoping that I could use the FE3 motor as an optional motor for G-Production racing in a 1st gen. The twin cam would be much better suited for that type of racing. The 3.0 V6 might not be able to handle the torture. The 2.0L FE3 is a twin cam high rev 7300 rpm redline motor with 148hp and a 10:1 comp. version that puts out about 175hp. If this motor was an option motor it would also make a great ITA car out of a 1st gen Probe.

I completely understand the no turbo rule. Most the turner people who love to drag race use the 1st Gen Turbo GT Probe. or MX-6. They can even Turbo the 2.0L FE3 motor as shown in the picture links I provided.

Since the 1st gen LX and GT model probes get rear disk brakes, could that be an option for my GL in ITB?

Thanks Andy for all your help.

And thank for the compliments on my car. I hope it stays together for the full season. lol

Toodles,
Stacey B.

lateapex911
03-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Cool car Stacey.

THe euro motor is a definite no no in IT, and doubtful in Prod, but what i know about Prod is not nearly enough to predict their reaction. It's a very labor intensive category.

Anyway, the GT brakes would be a no go either as that car is not listed. all parts have to come from cars on the same spec line, and those cars would wind up on different spec lines at different weights, or in a different class. The MX 6 from 93 is in ITS..and is listed on two lines. they are identical, but one is listed as a '93, and the other has no year listed. That needs to get cleaned up. The 2nd Gen GT is an ITS car too.

I actually have an MX-6 LS from 93 that has "issues" and I considered turning it into a racer until I saw it was in ITS. I have never seen one run on the track, and now I know why! Thats not a great class for that car.