PDA

View Full Version : Speeds is closing

RacerBill
01-16-2006, 08:54 AM
:( Speeds Indoor Karting in Columbus Oh is closing! The last scheduled day of operation is Jan. 31, 2006. The closing of the present location was certain since we have known that the owner of the building had sold the property for development of a large single store shopping area.

Negotiations for a new location were in progress when the owner of Speeds Leo Olsman had to return to the Netherlands on business. There is no word on the progress of those negotiations and a new location has not been announced.

Speeds will be missed by quite a few racers as groups from SCCA, NASA and NASCAR as well as drivers from the IRL and CART have all visited the track. The last enduro race they had (Jan '05) was a great race that had second thru seventh place teams finishing on the same lap after two hours!

Racers were known to come from as far away as Indianapolis, Youngstown, and Pittsburg.

I was fortunate to have been part of an informal group that raced on every Monday night for over four years. We are sure going to miss that action if they do not relocate. :angry:

If anyone (don't laugh!) knows of someone who would like to establish this kind of business, please let me know.

R2 Racing
01-16-2006, 10:38 AM
I've lived in Columbus for about 18.5 years now and have yet to go there. I've looked into it before and it just seems way to expensive to me. I guess it sucks that it's closing though since there's nothing around like it.

RacerBill
01-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by R2 Racing@Jan 16 2006, 10:38 AM
I've lived in Columbus for about 18.5 years now and have yet to go there. I've looked into it before and it just seems way to expensive to me. I guess it sucks that it's closing though since there's nothing around like it.

Kevin: You really owe it to yourself to try it once before it's gone. Come down on a Monday night and I guarantee some good racing. We arrive about 6:30pm and are done usually by 8. All of our group have been able to hold down slots in the top ten of the month for complete months last year, and the track has never been faster or a better layout. One of out group (not me, no way) is a three time SCCA National Champion! :D

R2 Racing
01-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Will you be out there tonight? I get off of work at 5 and have bowling at 9 (yea, I said bowling) so I've got some time to kill. I wouldn't race though since I highly doubt my ass would even fit in one of those carts.

Originally posted by RacerBill@Jan 16 2006, 09:58 AM
One of out group (not me, no way) is a three time SCCA National Champion! :D

Gotta be Roush or Fergus...

RacerBill
01-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by R2 Racing@Jan 16 2006, 11:15 AM
Will you be out there tonight? I get off of work at 5 and have bowling at 9 (yea, I said bowling) so I've got some time to kill. I wouldn't race though since I highly doubt my ass would even fit in one of those carts.

Yes, we will be there tonight.

Roland Hann gets into them!

RacerBill
01-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by R2 Racing@Jan 16 2006, 11:15 AM

Sorry< didn&#39;t see the last part of your post. No, it&#39;s not Roush or Fergus, although I would love to see them there. Hint! He was also a memeber of the Road Racing Drivers Club, but let his membership lapse.

We missed you last night.

Only two more weeks left!

R2 Racing
01-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Yea, sorry I couldn&#39;t make it last night. I had to go home after work and take care of some things there.

RacerBill
01-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by R2 Racing@Jan 17 2006, 09:57 AM
Yea, sorry I couldn&#39;t make it last night. I had to go home after work and take care of some things there.

I&#39;m cool. Know how that family/home stuff is. I missed the last chance I had to get my two races in on my novice permit before it expired because my step-son was in the hospital. Was entered, and one step from having the trailer loaded!

Give up on the celebrity driver?

Hahn63
01-18-2006, 10:56 AM
That is spelled "Hahn" ...... :bash_1_:

Yea even Bill can sort of see over the steering wheel!

And Bill.... make sure and move to the right please when my mazda comes to lap you!!!! :lol:

Thanks

Roland

RacerBill
01-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Hahn63@Jan 18 2006, 10:56 AM
That is spelled "Hahn" ...... :bash_1_:
Yea even Bill can sort of see over the steering wheel!

And Bill.... make sure and move to the right please when my mazda comes to lap you!!!! :lol:
Thanks

Roland

Sorry for the spelling Roland. We going to see you before the 31st?

Hahn63
01-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Going to try and make it one more time....

I had decided to retire from racing....lasted about 3 months....Oh well, running a National GTL and the Speeds ITA enduro car for &#39;06

See you around!

Roland

PS. you&#39;ll need to find a new larger person... I&#39;m now 45 lbs lighter! :P

RacerBill
01-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Hahn63@Jan 18 2006, 02:05 PM
Going to try and make it one more time....

I had decided to retire from racing....lasted about 3 months....Oh well, running a National GTL and the Speeds ITA enduro car for &#39;06

See you around!

Roland

PS. you&#39;ll need to find a new larger person... I&#39;m now 45 lbs lighter! :P

Cool! About the 45 lbs, the only time losing feels good, eh?